Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Having trouble selling their Truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lazydog, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I have a add in the truck trader. I have had no calls. This is only the first week, but I figured I have at least one call. I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same problem selling their vehicle. It's a 78 GMC Jimmy for $3000.00. Maybe I'm asking to much or too little.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMO, with the current economy, it's going to be pretty hard to sell anything used over $1000 without having a SCREAMING deal. People are just not spending that kind of money unless it's exactly what they want AND it's a great deal. Just be patient and run adds in different markets (including). Maybe even try ebay with a reserve. It may take a month or more but, if it's not too over priced, it will sell. I have no idea if you price is appropriate or not. It took Dan quite a while to sell some of his stuff.

Why not post *full* info (preferably with multiple pics) in the “for sale” here along with price. Then post in Second Gen asking about the price and what people think. You’ll be pretty much guaranteed to get a number of, “Well, *I* bought one better than that for $500!” (bragging, bs, lucky, whatever) posts but you might also get some good info and suggestions too. Just a thought…

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I just sold a 79 dodge ramcharger and it had a new 360 in it. I had it listed for $2000 and it took me about three and half months to sell. I know its a dodge so it wouldnt sell as fast, but over three months, I couldnt believe it took that long. Be paitient and your Jimmy will sell, just takes time.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yep, plenty of trouble, had my 4runner on the market for a while now, its in the autotradcr now, was in the paper..
    have gotten a few calls but nobody serious..

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a 78 GMC Jimmy for $3000.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a lot of details.... that would help to determine the value....

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Yeah I'm having a hell of a time selling my 86. I made a post asking for advice but nobody had any for me.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The problem that you run into when selling old stuff is that the buyer typically MUST have the cash to complete the deal. Most banks won't touch a loan on a rig that old, as they get stuck with junk if someone spends $3,000 on a car or truck, then a month later the engine or tranny blows up. Often the owner will just give it back to the bank instead of making the rest of the payments on something that needs $1,000-3,000 worth of work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You just have to keep running the ads, keep For Sale signs in the windows, etc. It's not like everyone in the world is just sitting at home waiting for you to sell your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Eventually the right person will see it and make a deal with you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Must just be the part of the country you guys are living in, some people have come up to me and ask me how much you want for it? I love to hear that /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Course its a 20 year old rust free truck with nice paint, although I highly doubt I could get over $3000 for it. I have like $2500 invested so screw selling it, Im just gettin started.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

drey, i hear you on that, had 2 offers in the 30 days or so i drove my k10, now its sitting waiting for me to sell the ol yota...

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    some people have come up to me and ask me how much you want for it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Lots of folks walk around asking everyone with a nice vehicle that question, hoping to hear something like "I'd take $500 for it". /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Then they buy it, wax it, and sell it at a huge profit. I've had lots of people ask how much I want for my rigs, but when I give them a price that's reasonable, suddenly they don't have any money. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Money talks and bull$h!t walks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions. I was just curious more than anything. I was really wondering if Blazers and Jimmys were losing there popularity. Maybe it's one of those "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" situations. I also figured with the economy, and low interest rates on new cars, etc.. it was keeping buyers away.

12. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Make sure your ad has some specifics. I sold a '78 Jimmy in March for $3000 here in Austin, TX. It took me about 3 weeks, first week no calls. I was asking $3500. You got to be able to come off the price or people don't "think" they are getting a good deal. It is all perception. I also lost a little money on it to move it that quick. Biggest problem was that most people did not even know what a Jimmy was. I had it listed as a fullsize K5 4x4 GMC Jimmy with blah, blah. Not all people are enthusiasts like us. I sold it to a guy that I had to teach how to put it in 4 wheel drive. Poor Jimmy! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

my blazer was for sale for about a month before it went, i wanted $7000 for it but the highest offer i got was $5500...as the month came to a close and i was about to start paying insurance on 2 trucks i sold it for $5800...i wish i could have kept it around and waited for the right price but that wasnt really an option...hope it works out for you