Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone hear of a program called Blubster?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thunder, May 21, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

My kids computer was having lots of problems crashing and freezing up. So I was checking it out. I ran the usual scans for virus and spyware. Came up clean. Checked running processes and found a thing called Blubster.EXE /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif running. WOW that evil thing was using almost all my system recources. CPU usage was over 75% with the computer just sitting idle with no programs open.
    I looked in program files to delete it and could not find it listed. Ran a search, found it, and deleted all Blubster files. Everything is ok
    But
    I was Just wondering if anyone one had run into Blubster or knew anything about it or what it was.
    My kids are always downloading junk off the net ( Thats why they have their own comp) But my Firewall and seceurety usually catches most of the bad stuff. I'm sure it came in with something they downloaded. They said they did not know what it was.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Just talked to my bro on it, he said it's another form of Kazaa or a download program that has spyware in it, uninstall it, and then run "Adaware","Spybot", and maybe "Hijack This" programs to rid the computer of any other spyware type tings it may have placed in there.

It continuosly runs in the background.

It sounds to me like they are trying to find different programs for downloading stuff from, and just happened to install this one, IMO they are all bad, they are all loaded with spyware now because they are so popular.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My brother-in-law uses it. It is for downloading music. Ill try to explain it, not 100% on how it works; but this is how I understand it. If your son made songs from his computer available for upload, then every time someone uploads a song from his computer, it will slow way down. My brother-in-law only downloads the songs so that he doesn't have this problem.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the replys. Found the site, blubster.com. Blocked it in my firewall with the rest.
    I got to the bottom of how it got on the comp. Because of all the law suit stuff and all the scans I had to do to get rid of spyware I told my kids to stop down loading music from the free sites and blocked the ones I knew about. So my daughter installed Blubster and hid it in her files. She didn't think I would find it there. The funny thing about it was she was the one complaining about "her piece of junk computer being slow". Would have not found it if she hadn't complained. I hardly ever use her computer.. LOL
    I guess blubster is suspost to keep your idenety secret. So the music industry cant track who is downloading what songs. But I dont like a program that runs in the background all the time and logs on to the internet at startup and uses all the resources.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Most all download programs will slow down the computer performance a bit with the downloading, and uploadning, but the programs themselves have, embedded in them, Spyware, which tracks internet sites and will cause pop-up ads unecpectadly. It's a PITA, There are a couple of other programs out there that don't have this crap, and even one that i know of /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif that doesn't let the RIAA get involved with tracking the users that are downloading music.

If your going to continue using this program, just keep doing the Adaware and Spybot searches to rid the computer of unwanted cookies and crap for it to work with.