Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone heard of "Counter Recruiters"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Mar 9, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Never heard of this horsesh*t before but here it is:

'Counter-recruiters' shadowing the military

Tue Mar 8,11:49 AM ET
    [​IMG]Top Stories - USATODAY.com

By Rick Hampson, USA TODAY The Marines didn't have to recruit Greg McCullough. He signed a promise to enlist last year, while he was still in high school. But now McCullough has had second thoughts, and he's talking to a different kind of recruiter.
    Jim Murphy is a "counter-recruiter," one of a small but growing number of opponents of the Iraq (news - web sites) war who say they want to compete with military recruiters for the hearts and minds of young people. (Related story: For Guard recruiters, a tough sell)

"I don't tell kids not to join the military," says Murphy, 59, a member of Veterans for Peace. "I tell them: 'Have a plan for your future. Because if you don't, the military has a plan for you.' "

Jim Murphy does not look like a recruiter of any kind. His untucked shirt covers a pot belly, his gray hair reaches his shoulders, and he favors blue jeans and windbreakers. But he has two credentials for counter-recruiting: He's a high school administrator who knows how to talk to kids, and he's an Air Force veteran who served in Vietnam in the mid-1960s.

Whole story here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&ncid=676&e=2&u=/usatoday/20050308/ts_usatoday/counterrecruitersshadowingthemilitary

I've never heard of this crap, has anyone else?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I read the story when it came out yesterday. All I had in response was a yawn. Someday, these clowns may hopefully realize it's not 1968.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

When that happens, you'll still have the young morons that wish they were children of the 60's:dunno:

John

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Probably true, but most of them seem to be lazy. Following people means they would have to get off of the couch.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've seen it on Liberal blog sites (shocking, huh?)... What's their big mantra? "They support the troops, just not the war." Riiiiiiiiiight... "Have a plan for your life, just make sure it's not military, cause then you'll automatically be an A-hole".
    I dunno where this dude's logic came from, but I considered the military a springboard for life and college. I didn't serve, but in retrospect, I think it would've been great prep for life.

What's funny is that I always thought recruiters glazed over the less-appealing points of enlisting, while emphasizing the good points (like any salesman), but these counter-recruiters will outright lie about military life to counter-recruit you. In the blog I first saw this on, a marine came back and e-smacked the guy... Much in the fashion I'd picture Jekbrown picking apart their BS...

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yawn indeed, these Vietnam War era, America is doomed unless we kiss up to everyone so they like us BS people are a dying breed. They no longer control our politics and are dying out in the media (Dan Rathers last day is today, horaay!). The average American thinks they are morons, which is a good thing.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

In other words, an aging fat hippy. Boy, this is just the guy I want being a school adminstrator:crazy::screwy:

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You know that's the reason I posted this. Many people like us (politically) think the same way you guys do "Oh yawn, who cares, they're dying out".

Bullsh*t they are not dying out, why do you think we have all the little hairy stinky f*ckers at CU supporting Churchill. Because guys like this are their influences.

These are the people that our children interact with every day. They are the ones "teaching" (read: indoctrinating) our kids in college, high school, and yes even elementary school. They are raising the next generation to be anti-military, anti-American, anti-gun, and anti-havinganyballs.

I just don't understand the complacency, guys like these are unfortunately shaping our future and we are standing around waiting for them to "die out", all the while they're just making new little "activists" and "protesters" to replace themselves.

We already let some of these colleges ban the damn recruiters outright, I mean I'm all for peace but who's gonna kick some ass when we need to?

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

To be perfectly honest, I want an objective opinion of the military. Recruiters piss me off because they are salesman who just pitch bull**** and dont give me any info I want. I have considered joining the marines for awhile when I get out of college but am concerned about my future after I get out. All the recruiters will tell you is "we'll pay for your college just sign this." My college is paid for so I dont give a flying **** about that. What I want to know is what they will pay me, what I will be doing, and what to expect. Recruiters will not tell you any of this. I have tried to coerce them out of it but they always skirt the issue and leave me pissed off.

My main concern is maintaining the skills I learned in school while in service so that I can use them and get a normal job when I get out. The reason this concerns me so much is that I am paying alot of money for my education and do not want to forget it in the 3-4 years in the military. The above stated concerns are in addition to the fact that I do not know any people that are "succesful" by my standards and have done a stint of military service. When I say succesful I mean someone on a upward bound career path making at least $60-70k a year. This may sound lofty to some people but it is what I am expecting. Dont get me wrong I know plenty of ex-marines who have good steady jobs but they are all manual labor jobs and do not pay what I want and are not the kind of jobs I want.

Anyway back on topic, if these people were presenting facts and not twisting the truth I think they would be doing a good service, but since they are obviously being retarded pinko faggots they lose credibility.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Seriously, with an attitude like that you wouldn't be a good fit anyway. It's not a knock or a flame, just some people are not a good fit with the military and you don't seem like you are.

With that being said, I've known a few people (quite a lot actually) who served and are very successful.

11. afroman006

Whys that? I am not picking a fight I honestly want opinions on this. I consider myself respectful and have no problem following orders and am deffinately fit enough physically and (I think) mentally. Honestly the reason I would do it is not for money but rather to earn my keep (patriotic duty if you will). If it makes a difference I have never met a single person who regrets their military service and that is deffinately a plus on my list. Is it wrong for me to want to know what I should expect?

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I know many ex-military folks who make money up to and far in excess of that range. It all has to do with your training and education, just like in the regular job market. If you were in charge of servicing trucks in the Army, you're not going to get out and become an executive based on that training and work experience. If you are an engineer and college educated, you get not only the same job you would have right out of college, but most of the time a little better job, since you have the degree and real world experience. And for the record, I own my own business and have hired many ex-military in both my capacity as owner and when I worked at the executive level working for other companies. I will take jarhead/gi/whathaveyou over a regular whiny ass entitled jerk off the street any day as an employee, as will most other employers. The military trains people to be motivated, positive, organized and goal oriented. All good employee traits in anyone's book.

I appreciate your opinion but I don't think you're really being circumspect about the situation.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Afroman006, I'm not arguing with your opinion, but I would like to give you a little food for thought.

I work currently with a couple people I consider successful that have military background. Two I work with most directly are a Marine and a former Coast Guard. Both are well paid, technical, and both learned and developed their skills in their service. The Marine is actually a top player in his field. Both still talk about their time in very positively.
    A bunch of guys at my corporate office are former servicemen, while I don't know how much they make or if I'd consider them successul, they are working management and technical service positions in a fortune 500 company.
    My father in law is a freshly retired Army Major, his father was all kinds of stuff in the army (I was blown away by the stuff my wife learned about his service that we never knew before then; WWII decorated vet, a bunch of medals, re-enlistments and promotions). Both of them are very successful, my grandfather-in-law being an immensely wealthy mortgage broker when he died.

So, "Success" really depends on the individual. I also know former service guys that are blue collar and successful, and some total flops that are clearly just getting by for life.
    If you take a job today that doesn't really precisely utilize your education, but it lasts for 4 years, how would that job be much different than military service for four years, except that you have the option to bail as desired? Your education will stagnate just the same, and you'll have just spent 4 years getting by.

On the subject of college ed... I can't count the people I know that are working in jobs or fields completely unrelated to their education/degree's.
    Don't restrict your options to just doing what you think you have to because you spent the cash on getting the skill.

14. afroman006

Thanks this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. I guess I should have started a new thread but oh well. I figured there were succesful veterans out there, but neither I nor my mom know or work with any personaly. What kind of stuff do engineers do for the military? Any idea on how much they get paid? This decision is still 3-4 years away but I am always on the lookout for opinions and facts.

15. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Its not complacency.

I feel many Libs are given WAY too much credit. This guy is a two bit moron in his views but he's definately no one to get all concerned about. There will always be those with opposing viewpoints, its up to each of us to decide for ourselves. These college students that hear his anti American propoganda crap arent being forced to follow him, they are doing it on their own free will. Maybe we should instead be more concerned about their parents and what values they are instilling in their children. Think of it this way, if he came and spoke in your workplace would you be "converted" to his cause? Would your children? My son wouldnt, he would think he's a moron.

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Would I now? No. But when I was off the teat and without family at college, I bought into some lame ass sh*t that my professors pushed. It's hard not to when you are in an environment where all dissent (i.e. conservativism) is not tolerated. A year after college and in the real world I went back to being my good old self. I just feel that these types and their overwhelming presence in higher education should not be ignored. Given; this guy is not real threat, I was talking about the overall situation.

And I don't know how old your son is, but think about this issue again when he's been a few hundred miles away at college for a couple years, chances are he'll have have views far from yours.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I tried to word it in a way as to not start a fight.............. :D

It's not wrong wanting to know what to expect, but you also have to understand that these recruiters, while drawing on their own experience, can't give everyone that they recruit a day to day picture. You see, they all have different MOS's. For example, when I signed up, the office I went through, there was not one recruiter there that had the same MOS that I signed up for. They were MP's, commo guys, and one Ranger. Outside of the basics, they couldn't tell me what my job was about. The closest I knew what to expect was my recruiter happened to be stationed in Hawaii about 5 years before I signed up, so he told me I would go here and there all over Asia, but as it turned out he was wrong cause I happened to serve during a drawdown when money was tight. They couldn't tell me about changing track or pulling pack or performing route recons or the 8 hour days in the motor pool doing absolutely nothing except wasting time.

They have one job and I very seriously doubt most of them are going to be 100% open with recruits that they had to fight tooth and nail to get to sign.

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

2005 military pay charts

afroman, are you talking to a regular enlisted recruiter, or an officer selection officer? As a college guy (I assume you're headed for a bachelor's degree) you really should be talking to an OSO. He'll be able to give you a much better picture of what you'd be doing as an officer.
    As far as "successful" former military guys go, the CEO of FedEx is a former Marine. There's plenty of corporate bigwigs who are prior military; they just don't necessarily advertise it all the time.

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

they will pay you with freedom, and the security of said freedom, as well as some money. you will be ensuring that same freedom to the rest of your country. expect it not to be an easy task, but one that we will all be greatful for.

20. afroman006

Wow thanks for the info guys. Yah Bubba I suppose you're right about them not knowing what exactly individual positions do. On that pay scale, what does the O-# designation represent? Hypothetically, what would I be? Straight out of college, bachelors in mech engineering and no military training of any kind. If yall dont want your kids going to school in a pinko ****** environment, send them to Texas A&M, ranked #1 most conservative school in the country by the Princeton review!:D