Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone heard of Heckethorn Hydro 8000?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The85k5, Mar 9, 2001.

1. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

i was looking at the Rough country 4" lift on their web site and they seem to have a pretty good deal....its the 4 leaf setup with all the goodies but i dont know if the shocks it comes with are any good. They are Heckethorn Hydro 8000, i dont want a still ride and people are telling me to either go with the rancho 9000's or Superlift Softride. do the Heckethorn Hydro 8000 compare to those in anyway?
    also the kit only costs 459....which is much cheaper than the pro comp lift i was looking at!

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Those shocks are fine. They make the 8000 and 9000. I guess the 9000 is Nitrogen charged, which is supposed to reduce fade for hard use, like continous bumps off-road, but I don't think that there is a lot of difference between the two. They are comparable to rancho, pro comp and everyone else's shocks, so I wouldn't be afraid of them.

What you need to look at, though, is the spring rate in that lift kit. That is what will make your ride stiff, not the shocks (unless you run quad front shocks) and the Rough Country spring rates are generally some of the highest in the industry. It really makes sense ($$, shipping, etc.) to get everything from one supplier, so my advice would be to get a Tough Country Blazer EZ-ride kit with shocks, boots, brake line adjusters and steering arm. If that's all that you can afford right now, that's fine. But if you can spend some more, go ahead and get a shackle flip setup and some degree shims as well and see if you can get the lift kit cheaper by leaving out the rear blocks and U-bolts.

When you talk to lift kit manufacturers and ask them "How will it ride", you will almost never get an honest answer that means anything. They usually say "Oh, it rides nice, probably a little better than stock." What you need is a number and that number is spring rate. Other than that, more leaves are better than fewer for the same spring rate and lift amount. Also, grease the poly bushings and don't tighten the shackle bolts too much--if you have to , use a jam nut on the shackle bolt so that it doesn't have to be too tight.

Another thing that the lift kit makers don't tell you is that their springs have the WRONG geometry for the stock sway bar. The springs are longer than stock, which is good, but makes for binding in the front end. Call Off-Road Design or 4WPW and get a price on some sway bar disconnects. These add an extra pivot point that allows the sway bar to work without binding the front end. I recommend keeping the sway bar if you drive on-road much and with the disconnects you get the best of all 3:
    -no binding like with stock springs
    -full articulation like with no sway bar (pins pulled)
    -good handling on road (of course the term "good" is relative to trucks...[​IMG])

<font color=blue>"Guys aren't able to get $15-20million a year anymore, so you have to play for the love of the game." --Penny Hardaway (Orlando Magic)</font color=blue>

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

The 9000 are alot better than the 8000s I have used both and the 9000s give a better ride.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have 2 9000's and like them fine.....they sell them for $30 each on jcwhitney.com where I got them. Think they are having a sale too...10% or 15% off of total orders? Anyhow thought I would mention this....

Steph
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

5. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

I just put on that roughcountry lift and it's not bad. It is pretty stiff though but I don't like my vehicle rolling like its in the ocean either. My over all impression of the kit is that it's ok. If one of the other kits had better directions and the shock bushings were installed I'd probably choose it for 100 more. The brake line brackets are a joke. Do yourself a favor and get some extended lines. ProComp makes some. My suspension is softening some but I really beat the hell out of it a few weenends ago. Things are still breaking lol! Let me know if you have any questions.