Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone heard of / use ravin mufflers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott87, Aug 20, 2001.

1. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

was just curious if anyone had ever heard of or used Ravin mufflers. the local midas shop was telling me about them.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

They are selling them at my local midas shop. I was in asking if they are any good. They just gave that whole sales pitch thing. None of the exhaust techs. are running them though.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I asked the Midas shop owner about em when i got my Flow's installed. He said they flow real good but are very loud...
    Then i had a look at the cut away model of one and could see why it would be that loud...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine has them (maybe just 1?) on a '92 Yukon, sounds pretty good.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I got some flowmaster 40's cheap so I didn't go w/ them, but they will be my next muff on darn near anything I own. They sound awsome and after reading up and talking a bit w/ the guy at small show a few weeks ago I'm impressed. Also gotta say the ravin muffler girls are a definete plus LOL [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I really do not like the way they sound....at the higher RPM's they really tend to get raspy....sounds too much like a ricer to me....I have a buddy that put a ravin muffler on his truck about a year ago and is begging me for my flows since he knows i am about to have my whole setup redone....they sound great at idle but I really don't care for the higher RPM sound...just my two cents

BTW - i am going back with flows but to a 50 series three chamber...i do too much interstate to deal with the two chambers....they sound great! just a bit too loud for long road trips

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

8. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I just checked them out, and think they might be a real alternative to Flows. I haven't heard them installed on a K5, but did hear them on a 305. The system was single in/dual out and was nice and quiet at idle, but real throaty with a good rumble under acceleration. Owner of the Camaro said he felt like he got some hp gains out of em.

Also, they're fully welded steel with a real nice looking black crinkle coating.

Price competitive too, around $235 installed for a single pipe, cat back system.

John<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TwoCrows on 08/22/01 06:02 AM.</FONT></P>

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The way I hear it... it depends on what you have leading up to the muffs as well. Obviously a cat will mellow it out more and quiet it a touch. Flowmaster 40's can be raspy as well... I have true duals off the manifold and they are a bit raspy at upper rpm... Headers should mellow it out some.

My favorite sound from atruck still is headers w/ cats and no muffs... but since my cat was crap and got a sweet deal on sloowookie's flowmaster 40's i went that route. I also really like the sound of flowmaster 50's through headers...
    But to get to the point I think they are about the same as flowmaster 40's but w/ a slight bit different ring.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

10. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

running a 3" on my 90 Sub with stock motor. Sounds and performs the same as my Tahoe did with a flowmaster but half the price.