Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here an engineer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by balzackks84, Oct 14, 2002.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm in school right now doing my darndest to become one. But its REALLY boring. Is it worth it? What kind of job did you get outside of school? Im really debating on whether to follow through or go to Wyoming tech or take some tech classes here at the community college. Become a desiel mechanic or machining classes. I dunno /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I guess i just have a really short attention span when its not hands on.

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

What Engineering are you going for? I'm going for Civil or maybe Mechanical. I hear you on the boring part but I'm not into the Real Engineering classes yet, just Calculas, Chemistry, and basics.

3. balzackks84

Mechanical. Im in the same boat with just taking the core classes. Im gonna transfer from our community college to Oregon state. I hope the real engineering classes are better. Im pulling my hair out at the busy work. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am a Engineer and its the best damn job i ever had. Been doing it for over ten years and its taken me from California to the Persian Gulf, been to Norway, Canada and some places i caint remeber. Of course I'm a Combat Engineer in the Marine Corps but hey i blow things up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. red66scout

red66scout Registered Member

I am in my 3rd year studying Mechanical Engineering. You have to go through some B.S. classes. They seem really boring and dumb, but you need them to build on to get to the really interesting stuff. When you get to statics, dynamics, machine design, strengths, and other good classes you will be glad you stuck it out.

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

CHOOO CHOOO /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

What kind of job are ya'll looking to get when ya'll graduate as Mechanical Engineer's? That's the main thing that keeps me thinking about Mechanical. I really Like Car's and working on them. I come up with good Idea's for fabrications sometime's (at least I think so) but don't have the knowledge/means to put it together. Mainly I don't want an all office job. I have that now and it STINKS!!! I hate just sitting there /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

8. balzackks84

I don't know what Im gonna do. Im headed along the same route as you with the fabricating thing. I think after i get my bachelors I'll take tons of tech classes to get up my welding and stuff. One of our local CC has a CNC machining class. Dunno where I'm gonna go from there. All I know is I have to make enough to pay for my habbit ( /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It's been said that "Life is what happens while you're making other plans"....I went to school thinking I wanted to be a school administrator in the Military school system overseas or something similar...thinking I could make a difference and give something back...got my MSed in 76 and taught HS and Jr Col for a few years and Hated it...now 20 some years later, I've picked up an EET somehow and work as a Systems Tech for SW Bell...figuring I'll get laid off after the first of the year with No benefits til I'm 62, so I'll be off on another direction...ya gotta do the core classes no matter what your major is, so I'd just do what ya gotta do...the core classes help you learn how to learn, study, and write at a more advanced level...they all mostly suck, but so does "work"...there will always be a market for Engineering degrees (unless ya work for Bell)...just an opinion...JD

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I do mechanical/chemical engineering. I didn't have the $$ to finish school, but I have enough real world experience that I have held positions for mechanical engineering, project managment, product design, research & development, etc., etc., etc. Right now, I am an R&D Manager for a fairly large international company. That is rare for soemone w/out a degree, but I have worked my @ss off to get here!

I have had the opportunity to learn so much about so many different things that sometimes I surprise myself at some of the things I have picked up along the way. I will say this. You are going to NEED all those mind numbing classes you are taking now! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My career has taken me all over the world /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and to places I never would have gotten to see /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif had it not been for the company paying for the trip. Not to mention some of the killer K5 mods /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif that have been done because someone knows their sh*t and is creative enough to figure out a way to make things work. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

I have a job that I like /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, and I work for some great people /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I wouldn't have it so good if it weren't for my ME background. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Stick with it, you'll be glad you did! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I work full time as a technical designer (AutoCad drafting, picking up SolidWorks) for a power generation company. I basically like my job, but for the last 11 years I have been going to college at night, working on a BS degree in Mechanical Technology (like Mech Eng, but more hands on applied, less theory). Because of my schooling, I've had the opportunity to work directly with mech engineers in the design stages and doing computations.

I am one year from finishing school and getting a college degree, I will be 38 then. Yes, the work with the engineers was kind of boring, but the things I've learned in school, plus my work experience, will allow me to find a job elsewhere if I need too. After my travels in the USMC, I didn't think I would get the chance to travel again as a civilian. I was wrong, I've traveled outside of the United States just as much a civilian as when I was in the Marines. Has all the hard work and stress been worth it? Occasionally I think not, but in the big picture, and over the long run, it has been worth it.

Sometimes I wish I had done some vocational technical thing too, like diesel mechanic, or go to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute to work on Harleys or something cool. Rock Star! But, when I get older, I think I'm gonna appreciate sitting in a nice office, comfortable, out of the weather and noise, and having good benefits.

I have a short attention span when it's not hands on too, but I encourage you to continue an education in something that comes easily to you, and that you can profit from. Good Luck!

12. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i'm in my last semester in Mechanical engineering...
    and i agree, the first 2-3 years SUCK!
    but once you get into the hands on stuff, its all worthwhile.
    just be patient.
    its hard, but i believe its worth it.
    get involved with something you're interested in, i got involved in hybrid-electric vehicles, and now i'm doing dyno testing of prototype engines...
    it really is worth it once you get into the upper level and project classes...
    my 2 cents is stay in, if you're doing ok in those classes, stay in, cause a few years down the line you might regret getting out of it...

13. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Computer Engineer (U. of Pittsburgh)

As for why I became an engineer, I think it was a natural decision. When I was younger, I was always into LEGOs, puzzles and other meticulous/creative things. In elementary/high school, I excelled at math and science. When it came time for college, I decided to do engineering. I eventually want to look back on my life and see all the new things I've created for the betterment (is that a word?) of mankind. But at this point I had no idea what type of engineering I wanted to do.

The basic freshmen courses helped me decide. I didn't like all the memorization involved for chemistry so ChemE was out (same reason I didn't go to med school). In physics, I absolutely hated things like the Carnot Engine, so MechE was out. Later on in physics, when we did the electricity unit, everything made complete sense to me. I also enjoyed computers/programming. Therefore I decided to do EE with a minor in computers. Around this time, Pitt implemented their new computer engineering degree, so I became part of the first class to graduate as CoE.

Another part of my decision was based on job market. I would have loved to be an automotive engineer for Chevy, but of course so would thousands and thousands of other people. So that was another strike against MechE. (I can get my wrenching fix on the weekends anyways.) At that time, the dot-com thing was ready to explode, so I saw an unlimited number of jobs for me to chose from in the computer industry.

Right now, I'm a software developer at Ansys, Inc. working on the Workbench product. Really cool stuff.

Also, I'm with the same company I co-op'ed with during school. A co-op or internship is a must do. Not only does this get your foot into some doors, it'll let you know if your going into the right field for you.

Sorry for the story - just wanted to give some of my valuable /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif knowledge. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

IGOR on here (Ben K) lives in Boring and works at WARN as an engineer because of his Mechanical Engineering degree from Oregon State.............um, that sounds like it's worth it to me!

Good luck..........PM him if you want his input on it, he's a great guy. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif