Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone here applied at Manpower temp to hire ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 13, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im plannning on going with a friend to Manpower temp to hire place tomorrow in peoria, my brother has been working with them at a job they found for him painting caterpillar equipment, he said he had to choose from several different jobs they found, he has been there for about a month and has 90 day probation then goes up to 10 something an hour, he went from nothing to a 2003 dodge and going to get a house next with his g/f

im nothing, not even a g/f, no anything, even worse off

so i need help fudging paper work a little to look good to this place, i am technicallyh and mechanically minded and not scared of equipment and machinery and big trucks and such so i guess ill be fine but i dont really have much payroll experience with much cept for machinery and fork trucks and paintline and welders line but i never welded or sprayed paint

so really i dont have much to put on paper

what can i do ?

thanks for anything

i need all the info and ideas i can get asap

hopefully i can look forward to a 45 or so minute commute everyday to a job, and make a life for myself finally, instead of being the broke ass bum nobody ive been for over two years since the layoffs,

and hopefully we can both scopre same job wherever same shift and all, so we can carpool hum

dunno how we could arrange that

thanks

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Whatever you do, best of luck! :waytogo: I've heard of Manpower but never had any experience with it. There is a place in Anderson called Labor Ready, and it seemed to work out well for my girlfriend's brother. He applied there, got a temp job on a trash truck, then they hired him on as a full-time worker and he started making enough to get his own place so...

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Whatever you do......do not lie on the application. Almost evry single reputable business will fire you in a heartbeat if you lied on your application. Be honest,................... but creative.

No welding skills = "minimal experience welding."

No painting skills = "experience with residential and car/light truck paint application" (Spray painting your inner fenders, a childs bicycle, house painting, etc.)

Contrary to poular belief, you can polish a turd with the right compound. (And yes, you can quote me on that.)

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I was employed by them..... for a day....

It was right after I quit my job for a trip to Vegas......... Manpower sent me to Sears to set up a female clothing display.... I ended up with a dude who was told he was getting a construction job (yeah, putting shelves in preset holes lol) and another guy who was just creepy and had NO sense of style... I thought my style was bad...

I worked until lunch, and then the manager asked if I could help in the warehouse for the rest of the night... I moved a few refridgerators and it was pretty cool... Then we just hung out in the office for the rest of the night while the other temps worked... That's when I first found out about the National Guard, actually... The dude I moved fridges with told me about it (he worked at Sears full time)

Then I called up the dude who set me up with the job and told him it sucked, because up until it came time to work in the back it was terrible...

That's when I got another job, and NOT through manpower :)

But yeah... They're pretty good I guess... My dad got his now-permanent position by being a temp with them...

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well You dont want to lie, but stretching the truth never hurt. First off You have to talk the talk and walk the walk. I have alway gone into an interview with the mind set of "Im am the person this company has always been looking for and how they ever made it this far is beyond Me".

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well not lie, but fudge a little ? i dunno.,

remember that this manpower place is a temp to hire place, they have companies call them up when they need X amount of ppl to do Y work and for Z amount of time, so whatever experience that you put down as having in the past will determine which jobs they tell you they have, for you to choose from, so thats why i said word fudge

ok heres what i have so far, that ive actually done, bt its not much..

welders helper and supplyman
    car and light truck drivetrain repair/rebuild, hydraulic vehicle lift operation
    oxy acetylene torch operator
    assembly- wooden store fixtures and lawn maintainence equipment
    machine operator assistant
    press operator and assistant
    tubing bender operator
    steel tubing punch operator
    steel welder's grinder
    residential electrical assistant
    cnc point-to-point operators assistant
    fork truck operator(do not have certification yet)
    shipping-warehouse assistant
    glue press operator/assistant
    paintline assistant
    drill press operator
    autobody and coating spray repair assistant
    route delivery

but i dont think any of these will help me much in scoring any work around here, half this stuff is non payroll experience.,
    but i guess if my brother who doesnt have but about 25% of what i have experience with managed to find work then i would think i could, through them

i was looking at my GED and science and mathematics were my best two scores, i got 80 some percentile rank in the USA in science

maybe that could help somehow ?

thanks for anythng else

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

any last ideas suggestions etc before we depart ?

thanks

8. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure if there is a Benchmark Staffing near you. But I've had good dealings with them. They primarily do warehouse, assembly and machining positions. I worked through them for about 3 mo's after I got out of the army . The second position they sent me two hired me full time. From the experience's you listed you should be able to get something with them. Most staffing places have simple skills tests that you take when you interview so as long as you know the basics of what you say you can do, you should be good.

Z

9. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just checked the Benchmark website.
    There is a Benchmark in Naperville, and one in Des Plaines according to their site. Check them out if Manpower doesnt work out.
    Z

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I did it once and carpooled with a friend who was also out of work... It worked out great. They sent us out as a team because we had a car. They also gave us extra money to take others with us... Get there EARLY... The early birds get the best worms... Don't worry about what you are asked to do. Just work and get paid. The right job may come along in a week or two but in the mean time you are making a paycheck... Even if it takes a few months for the right job to come a long who cares? :laugh:

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

join the Military

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i figure that they would frown if we said we wanted to do anything like that

hmm

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

heh

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

welp those are way too far away unless i was to relocate

:D

thanks

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

HUH! What? I gave you a straight answer... What do you mean? Frown on you for what? Having transportation? Get serious...

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

huh ? why would they frown on me for having transportation ?

youre confusing me

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

there's your biggest problem right there Randy. we've talked through AIM quite a few times, although not recently. you're a decent guy. so you had a little bad luck. we all do from time to time. it appears that you just let it get to you. present yourself with a more positive view on yourself, and you'll be set.