Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here built a deck?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by not4show, May 24, 2002.

1. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I want to start buliding decks and I was wondering if anyone here has ever bulit one? Any suggestions on tools, plans or type of problems I might run into? I would like to find some pictures or drawings of decks too. Thanks

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

do you mean building for other people? or just building a deck on your house.???

if you mean for other people...we had ours built,,,and the guy had a Dewalt chop saw, drill, screw gun, not too much else...we used pressure treated wood...had to go by local code's on the railings size etc..had to get permits for being as big as it is.. Pressure Treated wood SUCKS...splinters, is toxic nasty stuff..would have rather used the composit stuff, the plasticy type--only when we built the deck 7 years ago, that stuff hadn't hit VT yet..

check out www.homedepot.com they even tell you what you need.

or <a target="_blank" href=http://www.diynet.com>www.diynet.com</a> another home improvement site

good luck
    Brandy

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah I have built several for an old job and I still do for my volunteer projects I do with my church..... best tool you can have is a good table saw (or miter combination box) and portable circular saw (sometimes you nail down a floor board and it's like a freak 1/8 inch too long nice to clean it up!) along with a good drill (if you don't own one get a 1/2 inch not the 3/8). Something able to cut through a 4"x4" because that's about the biggest piece you'll be cutting through... I suggest cedar wood. Costs a bit more but it's great holding up to bugs. Use some Thompsons Water Seal too. It'll keep it looking new. I agree with Brandy pressure treated wood sucks. I always get untreated and then when done sand it down and clean it off and then stain and seal it or just seal it. What ever you do get the thicker (metal) bracing materials for it. Don't skimp and get the cheap stuff that can bend and not hold up after time and even rust. Predrill all the holes first or at least drill the to start to avoid the wood spliting and helps from nailing nails in crooked. My personal opinion is whatever you use floor go at least 5/8 and inch. Seems to work very well for us... anyhow. Make very sure it's level too. Sucks when laying the floor and one side is an inch lower then the other! Make sure too you use sort sort of good quality solid cement blocks to set it on too. Don't set it on the ground it sinks after time. Not to mention if the ground tends to be damp it'll expose it to more moisture then being up off the ground. Anyhow there's my 2 cents... good luck... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I worked for a sub contractor for 4 years building only decks. I guess i would know a few things. Over all it is simple, better material better the deck, red wood is my fav - stay away from the trex and plastic stuff it warps in the sun, goes through saw blades fast ehh. Tools need a chop box, rotoray saw, and about 3 really really really good drills. when i was working a ten hour day i would over heat em and wear about 3 out a summer. Stairs are the hard part, cant write all about them now, allways use concreate and never just burry the post (rot) or even burry the post in the create. use joice hangers everyware, and long lag bolts into the house, exspecially on higher levels. check the bows of deck planks to line up to assure straight lines, and allways use chalk lines for screws ( it allways looks like a$$ when the screws are outa line. With that pre drill the holes and place the screw in to do later.
    that should be a start pm me if got more questions

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

If you have any questions about materials and code issues (theres so much new crap out there now) give me a PM or email me I supplied a few decks last year (like around 4 or 500). Although my specialty is new homes were one of the largest independent lumber yards in northern virginia, so I can either answer or get the answer to just about any question you have about material.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The best material you can use for deck's is clear redwood. You dont have to treat it it will last forever and you wont have to worry about termites. You could bury redoood for a hunderd years dig it up and it will still be good. Trust me I know My parents have a pond area that was drained and my Dad dug out some old logs that were under 4 feet of muck. He cleaned them off and sawed some real nice lumber out of them for decrotive purposes.

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Another cool trick is to use square drive screws instead of phillips screws. Ain't gotta hardly put any ass behind them on the screw gun. Check out bleeding/streaking issues and reactivity between the screws and wood you use.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

they also don't put a big ass hole in the wood.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I've never personaly built one myself, but I will be helping a friend bulid one here real soon. To me, it does not look all that hard to do (easier said than done, I know). So, if this one turns out good I would not mind building a few more on the side this summer.

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

something else that works great espccially in a damp climate is roofing felt between the joists and decking boards. It creates a nice gasket to keep water out and keeps it from squeeking when you walk on it. It is a drag cutting the felt into strips but it is worth it.

John

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Built a couple myself, good to use pressure treated for the frame only...........then use cedar for the decking. Treated properly and maintained they are beautiful.