Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here do powerline work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MNorby, Apr 4, 2007.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

looking at a change of job. Tires of sparatic hours and working weekends. Talked to a friend that works powerline stuff. Works monday-thursday usually out of town but with hotels paid and $25 day perdiem for food. Home friday-sunday off. Thinking about staying where I am for a month or 2 to finish my blazer where I have a good shop then moving on. Anyone comment on this type work?

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I would think being away from home that much would get to a guy. Unless you worked with close friends.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That schedule is nice until a storm hits. GIGANTIC OVERTIME. Linemen get crazy good pay when the **** hits the fan, but they get paid that well for a very good reason. Ask him what kind of training he had to go through. It probably varies from company to company, but the ones I'm familiar with run a two year apprenticeship.

4. MNorby

he said you start out as a grands person kinda learing before they give you the hard stuff. Also has an apprenticeship program. Next day I get off early I'm gonna go talk to the company.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hevaly unionized, out od town work sucks, i did alot of it, that kind of work there is nothing but out of town stuff

6. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm currently trying to get into a lineman apprenticeship program for FirstEnergy. It requires 2 years of school. The first year is classwork and the second year is paid apprenticeship. They start you at around $20 an hour when you get hired in.

7. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2 X2 X2 X2:D I don't like the unions but I know they make great money in that line of work especially after several years. Go after it and good luck.

Go ahead some of you and scream at me about my comment about the unions.:grin:

8. MNorby

he said when he hired on 4 years ago he started at $10/hr and went to 12 something after 3 months. Said I could prob get on a bit higher since I already have a CDL. Said the apprenticeship is tests you take as you work, like 1 a month or so.

9. MNorby

I'm thinking there might be more future and retirement in a line of work like that. Energy will always be there. Not much future in a dead end ag ranch job...

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

get in to tolit paper then, no mater what the economy, nucular war what ever people still need to wipe there ass!

11. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Being in the field that I am in. I know alot of linesmen. I work hand and hand with them almost everyday. The job has its risks like any other, but the pay is good. The pensions aren't the greatest, but that is just dependent on your union. The most important thing as a linemen are the people you work with, your life is literally in the hands of others.

Spurring a pole is not fun or easy, and getting down takes alot of practice and splinters. My biggest beef with spurring a pole is sometimes they get so rotted out that you get 3/4's of the way up and the wood just lets go. All of a sudden you are on the ground with alot of slivers.

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You have to spell TOILET right first.

13. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Yup, I'm an inside wireman, folks will always need electricity, even if the sh!t hits the fan, power is one of the first things they try to get back up.

14. MNorby

other idea was oil field but don't really wanna go into that.

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

meh

don't have to spell it to **** in it

16. MNorby

well got the job, start on the 30th. Excited to try something new.

17. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congratulations! Wow. I wish I could just walk on to a lineman job here in Ohio. I have a physical orientation on Sunday where they're going to make us climb poles and do other excercises to qualify us for enrollment in the 2-year schooling program that doesn't start until September. I won't actually start any paid work until Fall of '08. Is it a large company that you got hired in with? The company I'm trying to get into is FirstEnergy which covers Ohio and most of Pennsylvania...

18. MNorby

this is Prime Power, or PPC. Not sure how big they are. I have to keep track of my hours and take numerous tests and basically earn my journeymans while working.