Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here had laser surgery on their eyes?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, May 30, 2004.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Went down to the eye doctor a couple of days ago to pickup some contacts and before I know it I've got a surgery date set and everything. I figured what the heck I don't have anything better to do and I really can't stand wearing contacts and glasses are out of the question (even though I got a pair on right now). Just wondering who all has had lasik done, what was your prescription before the surgery, and what was the outcome? I've noticed my blood pressure has gone up a little since I signed up for it. I'm kinda worried about the whole laser and eyeball thing. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Jeff (bigyellowjimmy) has had lasik done, we were just talking about it a week ago. PM him and ask him? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would love to have it as well. At -6 diopters or so I'm blind without my glasses.

4. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

i would like to have it done as well, and older guy i work with had it done (probably 50 yrs old). He said it was the best thing he had ever spent money on in his life. not sure about his prescription before but he had better than 20/20 after the surgery. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

*Personally* I don't think the risks are worth it quite yet. I'm sure percentage-wise there are very few problems, but I had a buddy have it done, and one eye apparently now is constantly in and out of focus.

Again, I'm sure this is fairly isolated, but there are enough people that are worse off now after the surgery, that I'm going to wait until there is an almost 100% success rate. For all I know it already is near that, but I haven't checked.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I could use it, but I'd rather wait til it's a 100% thing, too.

7. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

6 years ago i had it done. i went from 20/600 and 20/800 with severe asygmatism to 20/15 in both...... maybe you should wait..... nothing is 100% in surgery NOTHING.
    what do i know though?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would love to have it as well. At -6 diopters or so I'm blind without my glasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm sitting at a +5.5, can't see a darn thing without my lenses.
    As far as the wait till 100% thing, 5 of my relatives have had the procedure done and they are all better then 20/20. On the other hand I have the worst eye sight out of all of us, which kinda makes me worry a little bit. I do know if something goes wrong and I lose my eye sight I'll go postal. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

9. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i did it about 12 months ago…. i was so blind that when i took my glasses off and laid them down somewhere in the house, i had to get the wife to find them. i now see 20/15… it changed my life…

10. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I had it done in 1999. Awesome improvement is all I can say. Zero problems with the procedure. You have the benefit of newer technology in the last few years. My eyesight is 20/20 in my right eye, better than that in my left eye. No more misplacing glasses, no more scratched glasses, no more fogged up lenses while shooting/hunting. To the detractors I say, it is true, nothing is 100%. The risk of compliction is low. My boss had it done last year and He had zero problems also. My Dr. said they will re-do one or both eyes for a patient if the lasik procedure does not correct a patients eyes to their satisfaction. Check out your Dr.s record of success and if you are confident I say go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I had Lasik surgery done a year ago....couldnt see far away, I couldnt wear contacts in AZ cause my eyes were too dry and I needed to wear sunglasses but its a pain with prescription glasses. Dont worry about the procedure, I'd say it was slightly less irritating than having my teeth cleaned. I have to use eye drops several times a day and my night vision took about 4 months to really clear up, other than that its been the best $598.00 Ive ever spent! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

$600 for both eyes? I thought it was more like $2k. Has the price dropped that much? So basically for the price of a pair of regular glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses I could have my eyes fixed forever? Maybe it's time for me to reconsider. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. bigyellowjimmy

Yep, $598 for both eyes, total cost. Lasik Vision Institute has specials several times a year. Got mine done in Phoenix 602-267-7577 or look them up on the web, had several family members get it done in Ft Collins or Denver, they are all over the place. Of course they tried to sell me other stuff but I stuck with the basic package and have been thrilled with the results and price. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im gonna have this done at some point too. The last few years there have been some improvements... I'll prolly wait another 3-5 just to see if any newer/better techniques come out. Who knows, some new tech might come out that makes it a $200 procedure. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I did have a friend at PSU who had it done who couldnt see far away before the surgery... and about 9 months after he had it done he couldnt see stuff close up. He wears glasses, again. Kinda a bummer, but maybe thats what you get for going to canada to get that kinda thing done...

j

15. bigyellowjimmy

Ive recently heard an ad on the radio of a new procedure that doesnt require any cutting.....cant remember what it was though. They are constantly making it better though. Down here its very common to have this done.....I feel better knowing that when I open my eyes at night I can instantly see.

16. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

WOW $598, thats not bad. There is a couple of places around here that are inexpensive too. It's going to cost me $2400, but I get free lifetime enhancements and other junk I don't understand. Plus the place where I'm getting mine done is the exact place my Optometrist, his family, and my family have gotten theirs done, so they got a good rapport with me.

17. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had it done 6 months ago and I had the PRK procedure instead of the Lasik. I think the PRK is better but has a little more discomfort in the healing area. If you have questions I just recently wrote a story for our base newspaper on the two procedures just shoot me a PM I know a pretty good amount. I now see 20/15 and have been for several months its amazing and the program at our naval hospital has not had any problems since its opening back in November of 2002 (thats alot of marines and sailors). Hope this helps of if I can let me know...

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That reminds me... I worked with this girl a couple years ago, maybe '96, who had it done, and she was unable to look at a computer CRT after the surgury without very quick fatigue. She was an on-air radio jock, and with everything coming from a touchscreen CRT, that's not too good for work... That was a while back, so maybe they figured that bug out by now, though..

19. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    WOW $598, thats not bad. There is a couple of places around here that are inexpensive too. It's going to cost me $2400, but I get free lifetime enhancements and other junk I don't understand. Plus the place where I'm getting mine done is the exact place my Optometrist, his family, and my family have gotten theirs done, so they got a good rapport with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they wanted to sell me the lifetime enhancements and told me my prescription was so far off that it would be an additional cost. I checked and 90% of their patients didnt need enhancements so I chanced it and lucked out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i had it done for 4k for both eyes, im not going to waste anny expence on my eyes, the guy i went to has been dooin it scence before it was legal here in the states, he was way good, in it rocks!! the only problem i have is dry eyes, but not too bad i love it overall!!!! would do it again in a heart beat /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif