Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here have a dog sled or dog cart?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Mar 24, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I live like 5 blocks from the Trek manufacturing plant here in Waterloo, WI, so I could go to them and have them make me this thing any time, but I'd rather buy a used one first.

I have a Husky who was born to pull... I put a harness on him, and he drops his head to go.. I don't have a sled or a cart, and the snow is melting here, so I don't think a sled will do me any good at this time. Any one here have a single dog cart they are willing to part with so I can train my dog in the proper fashion, and get some good exercise while I'm at it?

By the way, the dog is 47.5lbs, and I'm 220, so a very lightweight cart would be good... wheels can be any type, but I'd prefer knobby 12inch tires so I can run the trails he'll be sledding on next winter. Road tires are ok, but not preferred... I am willing to pay for shipping from anywhere in the US or Canada.

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

3. PhoenixZorn

I've looked there... thanks for the link though, I forgot about that site... however, as expected, there is nothing there in the way of sleds or carts.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just remembered....might sound kind of getto, but serves the purpose. I've heard lots of people starting out using an old 3 wheeler or 4 wheeler. Basically strip it down to just a rolling frame, seat and brakes (for emergency) (no motor, tranny, chain, etc). Cheap and effective for starting out. Then when your pup gets the hange of it maybe move up to a 'real' cart.
    Just a thought, as I've heard lots of people doing this for sled training/weight pulling conditioning, etc.
    Good luck!

5. PhoenixZorn

yeah... problem is finding a 3 wheeler frame... my neighbor has an old 3 wheeler, but as far as I know, it's still running, and he was planning on a rebuild.

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the club!

[​IMG]

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Budget sled...

I saw a guy with a few dogs like that pulling him around on an old riding mower,with the motor and other unnessasary parts removed--I thought why not,better than throwing it in the dump!.--and a few kids nearby asked if they could have an old hood in my backyard,they were going to use it for a tobogan/sled,tie their malamute husky to it--more than one use for a rusted gm truck hood!---they never came back to get it though....:crazy:

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Just buy an old bike for $5, put training wheels on it and kick back. Then you could give him a little help on hills.:D 47.5 and 220 doesn't seem fair.:blush:

10. PhoenixZorn

rofl... no it doesn't seem fair at all... but he can do it... as long as I have wheels.. I'm going to get another dog, either a Mal or another Husky, and have my dog run lead and the other the wheel. A Malamute would rock, since they weigh about 130lbs, so they'd be able to pull me on a sled as well as on wheels.

11. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We made one back in the day in Boy Scouts for Polar Bear camp. However, we had to pull it around. It wasn't hard to build there's got to be blue prints somewhere on the net.

(reminissing)

Polar Bear what a time. Six people in a two man tent, below zero temps and Chili for dinner. What a fun time.

12. PhoenixZorn

I have plans for one, but no source for materials... I also dont have a steamer to bend the wood for the sled... dah well... I'll keep looking