Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone here have a lowerdchevy

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 84CUCV, Aug 29, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a 98 chevy c1500. i was thinking about droping it 3-4". Its my dd. i would like to have some fun with it now tho. So could i please get some pics and specs. Air bags look sweet, but i dont know if i have the cash for that and it looks hard to do.
    Asy always that for the help mike

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If your wanting to do it on a budget, but doing it right... Then I would get a set of lowering spindles, shocks and lowering shackles…

3. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

yes spindles and shackles would be cheaper than bags. They won't affect ride quality but you can only get a 2" drop from those. You can also do lowered control arms and dropped rear hangers. Hangers and shackles in the rear can get you 4". Or you could do a axle flip kit in the rear if you want to go even lower.

I also think that air ride technologies makes a complete bolt in bag kit for your truck called the roadgrater system (no welding required).

If you want to see some pics try googleing for street trucks magazine, truckin magazine, or sport truck magazine. Those websites should have plenty of pics.

4. 84CUCV

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had a 88 2x4 6lug ld 3/4 2" drop spindles frt. then drop shackles rear with #3 leaf removed from packs. road good looked good. had 275/45/20 on it. nice little gap in fenders but vary street drivable.

6. 84CUCV

OK any chance you have pic of it?

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My old truck had 3" front and 4" rear, spindles and different front hanger for the rear spring, then a longer shackle. Truck rode just the same as stock. Had a nice stance to it, not too low, but looked good. Had 275/60s on 8" rallys, and then just before I sold it 17x8s up front and 17x10 in the back, can't remember what the tire size was, weird size. 245/55 and 255/55?? Truck handled pretty good for a what it was....Have a pic but need to scan it.

8. 84CUCV

looks like spindles and different front hanger sre the way to go. a pic would be cool . sounds like a nice looking truck.

9. muddermilitia

On some trucks you can't do 3" drop spindles unless you have larger than 15" wheels. The lower ball joint will hit the wheel. I was able to get a 2.5" drop spindle for my 79 blazer. I think the brand was ground force. Here's an old picture of it. Sorry for being so blurry, I don't have a scanner so I used my camera to take a picture of a pic I had.
    [​IMG]

10. 84CUCV

I like the way it looks. Come to think of it. i have never seen a 80s 2wd k5. thx for the pic

11. muddermilitia

Yea they are pretty rare, I've only seen one other in person and a few in magazines. They stopped making them in 82

12. 84CUCV

didnt know that.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

only problem i've ever heard of was hitting the lip on the LCA, never heard of balljoint interference. :confused:

i had an '82 C10 that was dropped 3/4. what ever you do, USE QUALITY PARTS! i made the mistake of buying Chassis Tech/AIM stuff. avoid them like the plague!

i'd recomend Western Chassis, DJM, or Belltech if you want to go the static drop route.

here's my '82 on stock wheels and tires off of my '93 C1500.

man i miss that truck. :(

View attachment redtruck1.jpg

14. muddermilitia

Whoops did I say ball joint? I meant lower control arm. I have heard of people cutting off some of the control arm, but I wanted to avoid that.

15. 84CUCV

thxnks guys this is some good information.