Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here in CA know emisions laws

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Nov 22, 2001.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I wanna run just straight headers and get rid of all back pressure, anyone know what year that will be possible for my 79

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My brother is a smog teck in Morgan Hill. I will see him Sunday if you don't get a answer by then....Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

anyone know any serious ramifications to running open headers

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

4. flash_point

flash_point Registered Member

Well aside from you not being able to pass a visual smog inspection, they could possibly fine you for tampering w/ emission controlled devices like taking off a CAT &amp; a muffler &amp; label your vehicle as a gross polluter with DMV &amp; won't be able to get new tags for your rig until you go to a referree smog station &amp; then have them clear it up &amp; take it off DMV's gross polluter list. If you happen to get pulled over by a police officer for the sound of your vehicle he can also fine you too. 1973 &amp; older are the only vehicles that you can do what ever the hell you want to.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can't run them unless you know someone to pass you or can register it to someone who lives in an smog exempt county... where do you live (if it's in Sacramento there's a place called the Firehouse that specializes in illegal exhaust even though you have to hint about it for them to do it but they will no probs)... You can leave your set up on and get it smogged. Then put that set up on you want with the headers and run it. Then when you gotta get smogged switch it back.... it wouldn't be too bad to do every 2 years... just watch the noise level. This state has a limit. Loud is fine if you don't go nuts because some bored popo might decide to nail you for the hey of it...

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

right now i have a flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust setup, i think its just bolted on and it just got smogged, so i got a while to play with it. are there any mechanical issues i should be worried about when im just running straight headers, how much louder could i expect straight headers to be

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

its definately going to be loud. like too loud to drive thru a residential area at night :) loud to the point of annoying. if its a daily driver, dont do it. big mistake.. weekend/trail warrior, go for it but you probably wont gain any HP over a good set of mufflers.. ive heard that you can actually loose power unless you have the complete package to run just open headers.. backpressure is your friend. with a truck/4x4 you typically wanna build for torque... might be a good idea for a mud bogger :) but with a stock or near stock motor i say dont do it

8. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I thought i might just run it for a while to see what it was like and have fun. Im 17 and it might be cool to tool around in. Im going to holister tomorow if any of you guys in CA are going out there ill be the big jimmy. SO i do wheel it and drive it around on the street.

9. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Smog laws in CA suck.! imo They also put you rig on a dyno and test it, and if you have bigger tires it can screw your readings up too. Hey steph you know any body over at fire house to hint at looking the other way? my 75 hasnt been reg'd sence 97 lol

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Open headers ???
    Your a funny guy. Unbolt your pipes from the headers &amp; wire
    them up somehow &amp; take it for a spin around the block. That's
    about all it should take...
    I once drove my 68 mustang coupe(302-not stock-c4-4.56)
    to the muffler shop accross town. Purdy bitchen, but not
    for every day use. If I lived next door &amp; you lit that turkey up
    at 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning... It would make a good story!!
    Hmmm...Open exhaust....302 w/4.56.... I'll be back later...
    -Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I ran open headers with a 6 foot straight pipe on my 68 327 camaro for about a year here in San Diego. While I had some hard looks once in a while from the local law enforcement I was never ticketed for noise pollution. I did however have some nasty grams from the neighbors once in a while and did catch everyones attention every time I romped on it, including cops a few blocks away. If you don't want to drive it like a 90 year old paranoid grandpa then leave then keep some mufflers on it. As for the mechanical side, a little back pressue is good for exhaust valve longevity. Repeated long trips can be hard on your ears too, or your passengers.

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

They don't smog... they do exhaust work, like putting the pipes on. One of the best places in town but expensive. There's another good place off of Elkhorn and Watt called Affordable Muffler. Guy who owns it has a K5. I got crap job done by a friend of my mechanic. So he took everything off cept the headers and I got my money back. My exhaust is awful now... an old set up rigged until I get back from Mexico, then it's too affordable for them to hook me up... If you want a good smog place go to the Smog-N-Go off of Hwy 99 and Calvine.... it's a bit expensive... but they are good. They know what they are doing and speak english and of all things have brains. I had a car that wouldn't pass smog at Smog Wizard on Folsom Blvd went there and it did... however my passing might have a lot to do with dumping rubbing alcohol in the tank! [​IMG].... Another place to check out is Smog Stop on Fair Oaks. I don't know the dudes name. He's a young, short Mexican guy... loves big trucks and smokes like a chimney. I went with my mom there to get my g-ma's car smogged. He's sitting there talking to us about trucks and every other word is mutha f'er this and that... made my mom laugh. But you know the dude didn't care one bit who came in by that... bet he'd pass ya for a nice crisp twenty.... [​IMG]

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if your rig came with cats it must retan them unless you go to OHV status. If your rig is a CA car, it hs to have smog stuff. I got a Ohio K5 and all i got is a PCV. and i pass CA smog is San Jose [​IMG]
    just gotta know what to look for

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

14. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Run a full exhaust system. You will hate open headers no matter what you do. Itwill sound great at idle but once you give it some gas it will sound horrible. Its good to have mufflers. just because its loud doesnt mean it will run bettter.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Open Headers? LOL!
    I agree man, I was changing my collector gaskets one day and I figured, "what the hell" so I ran It around the block...
    Coming back down my street several of my neighbors were coming outside to see what the hell it was that was shaking their windows.
    One lap around the block is all it will take for you to know.
    I ocasionally un-cork the headers when I go wheelin' at Pismo.
    Personally, I'd run those 40 sereis two chambers, and if you want to get really nutty, get those 1 chamber flowmasters, they're illegal for the street, and the smallest is a 3" inlet/outlet i think. They sound totally bad ass on my dad's vette powered 327 Jeep CJ5. (Not street legal)

I have a big block Camaro with 2 1/2" to 2 chamber flows cuttoff after the mufflers, and that pisses off my neighbors now. I'm sure they love me when I come home at 1 in the morning sometimes. I want to put 3" exhaust pipes with tailpipes or at least turndowns- a little quieter so I can get away with a little more... I can relate to having to drive that thing like a 90 year old grandpa... A cop 3 blocks away can hear when you get on it.

Have you seen those cutouts in summit magazine?
    They have the kind you get welded at an exhaust shop right behind the collector and when you want to run em open, you unbolt the three wingnuts and bolts each side and you got straight pipes...
    In JC Whitney catalog they have cutouts that work with a cable into the cab of your truck, so you can open/close 'em without having to get out. I've heared those don't work very well though, and they leak.

-I've heared the way to do it is to buy a Desiel Blazer... and yank that engine out, drop in a big block or pumped smallblock, headers, anything... Because it's registered as Desiel and you'll never have to smog it. That is, unless a cop pulls you over and wants to send you to the smog referee.
    -OR you could hook up a propane system. (exempts you from smog)
    -OR you could build an engine to run on Alcohol. I've heared that Alcohol burns cleaner than gas, so if you run it in Cali. you're smog exempt.
    My 2 cents.