Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here into Linux and Macs?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 30, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm getting a little bored with Windows. Today at least, maybe tomorrow I'll be a MS guy again (heck I'm certified!). I feel like I've conquered Win2000, XP offers no real benefit aside from a "Don't take me seriously" out-of-box interface and more typical useless Microsoft features for the masses (aside from buggy networking with non-MS NOS's). I haven't played with .Net yet, maybe that'll restore my faith in MS...

So, I'm venturing into what I used to call really cheesy territory, known as Mac. I just picked up a G4 from a former co-worker. It's got all kinds of wacky crap on it, coolest being the DVD burner (oh yeahhhh, can't wait to take home-video DVD's over to my well-to-do friends houses...).
    I'm not really impressed with Mac OS x, I find it very restrictive and limiting. I guess it's nifty and all, but I really like the little I've seen of Linux on x86 platforms, and I've heard it will run really well on a Mac.

So, anyone a Linux guru that's into Mac too? Rich, I know you run a Mac shop, anyone there ventured into Linux?

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I've never really touched a MAC but I'm trying to learn linux. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm really getting fed up with MS. I'm running XP now and I'm just starting to hate it. Gonna go back to 2k and a dual boot with Mandrake 8.1 since it's supposed to be the easiest to learn.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I hear that.
    I ran XP for a while, but went back to Win2k. I dual boot my laptop right now, so I join my work Active Directory in Win2K, and my home Active Directory in XP. I tried to ghost out the drive yesterday so I could repartition it and have a linux boot option, but ghost was kind of puking on it, so I won't mess with it...

I hadn't heard Mandrake was easiest to learn. I downloaded Red Hat and installed it on my daughters computer, and while it runs pretty slow right now, I'm learning which is what counts... I'll have to give Mandrake a shot on a work machine...

As I type, I'm wrapping up re-installing OSx on the G4, and I'm downloading Debian Linux to install on the other partition...

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey Ratch,
    Long-time-no-talk!

And I bet you know my answer to this /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

My home system has Mandrake 8.1 and ME (ME for games only).
    100% of my productivity is handled by Linux with less crashes and just better experience all around.

Unix admin is also more satisfying because you can actually find and correct problems.

.Net is MS's name for Web Services packaging. App-server, directory, portal and that sort of thing. Do you plan on running a business on thew web?
    Or do your duties in your current job require you to know this?

You do NEED to understand MS Passport and the other sign-on and personal info collecting schemes.

Here is some info on alternatives to MS's .Net and Passport.
    http://www.projectliberty.org/
    (yes it was started by my company, sorry for the pitch but couldn't help it)

I think there will always be a form of Unix out there - try it and I bet you will like it!

I want to try the Mac route but I have been too busy. The power-users (I am not one) that I know all like the Mac. I wonder if they can survive tho....
    I hope so. Variety is good!

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey Dave, where ya been?? I was thinking you'd get in on this post, being a Unix guy.

I don't have any use for .net server yet, but I've been toying with the idea of starting a multimedia-intensive site, maybe .net is the platform. Although, security is beyond important to it, so I may end up going with Apache instead (MS seems to let users and hackers do the R&D on security for thier products after they're released...).

Yeah, I do understand the "Passport" scheme. Scheme being quite an appropriate term...

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you're right, I do deal with macs on a daily basis, which is truly the sucks... the problems with OS X are farther reaching then merely the restrictive interface. you can get to a command prompt in it, and you can perform high level commands in that, ( including enabling Root, setting the password of your choice locking everyone else out, and then eating the system) but for the most part, its eye candy that requires an expensive computer to run. we ended up doing an upgrade to OS X ( against my better judgement, and wishes) and instantly made 90% of our computers obselete. there are also several problems with driver support, and the fact that upgrades to the next version ( 10.2) will cost 129 per machine. the upgrade provides many NESSICARY patches for simple day to day operations like networking ( there's a bogus net address caching system that automaticaly caches all computer addresses you've ever tried to connect to, even tho they're on DHCP, then displays several hundred copies of whatever computer is at hand) saving files, emulating the old system and etc. the worst part, is OS 11 ( XI?) is due out in another year, and willmost likely cost another 129 per computer to upgrade to it.

on another note, I;ve tried linux before, but didn't really have any real drive for playing with it, or learning it. I might bring in my home computer, and start playing with linux, just to see if I can get anywhere in it. I've got Redhat 7.1 on SGI's kernal at home, which is apparently a rather powerful combination, but I havn't found much practical use in my day to day playing. truth is, I havn't found much practical use for windows either, or mac OS... I suppose I may as well use an OS I don't have to pay for if thats the case.

-Rich

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I've worked on macs for about 6+ years, no linux though. Unless you deal with graphics or video on a daily basis, you won't be happy with a mac. They don't handle office apps really well, or anything else except graphics apps. Having used the mac OS since the OS7 days, I can say that OSX is a major improvement. It's not perfect, but not much is in the computer world.

And yes, you need a BIG machine with lots of RAM to run OSX quickly. I'm currently using a dual gig G4 with 1.25 gigs of ram. It's still slow running compositing apps like Combustion and After Effects, but it sure beats the 266 mhz Power PC I used to use. I also upgraded all of our Macs here to OSX 10.2. It is more stable than the earlier versions, boot speed has increased, and the windows networking additions were a big help. I know the driver issues with OS9 and 10 can be a pain, I still have to boot in classic to use Outlook b/c MS won't support it in OSX. But, OSX is the future for apple b/c frankly OS9 sucks. Vendors will just have to get on the ball and turn out the drivers faster. We still have a $4000 scanner that won't work in OSX......

BIGJ

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Boy, this is an old post... Sad to say the most I've done in two months on this Mac is dump any Mac OS altogether and go completely Yellow Dog Linux on it. I just got a copy of Jaguar, so I'm going to attempt to install that and then Linux to dual boot, but I had horrible luck dual-booting between Yellow Dog and OSx, actually couldn't even finish installing Linux while Mac OS was there.

Anyway, my involvement with our corporate Active Directory Migration is almost done, so I might get a little more time to goof around with non-Empire I mean non-MS toys...

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not a fan of the MAC. I did look at one befor I bought my IBM, but all in all, I like the IBM much more then a MAC. I'm running Windows ME. Kinda sucks a$$, but I can live with it.

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"Active Directory Migration......... " (ARRRRGHHHHH,*shiver*,*sigh*)

I am still on Mandrake 8. Going to Mandrake 9 soon tho. And still have
    ME (dual boot) for gaming.

Do you know the game Counter-Strike? We have a LAN party every Wednesday at an office (for the 21" monitors /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) - we ran our own version of Linux last week and it worked great - 17 players!
    So we now have 2 OSs..... And an Intel box (2CPU, 1RU-should kick ass) Linux solution.

11. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

FreeBSD is killer if you want to learn something unixy..... For everyday messing around I use XP but for anything else it is Red Hat Linux, SCO Unix, and FreeBSD ...