Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here play Bass? amp questions..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emmettology 101, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hello all.

Started playing electric bass about a month ago. Need to buy an amp in the near future.... We just play in a basement right now so I dont need anything huge... But I would spend a little extra $$ to get something is good..

Some of the amps I have been looking at are the Gallie-Krueger Backline series. Something in a single 15 or maybe the (2) 10's.... Haven't sat down and tried anything out yet....

One question I do have.... My brother plays guitar. I would like to get an amp that is comparable to his guitar as far as output goes. That way we're sort of on the same page... He plays through a Peavey 5150.. It's only 60watt and really cranks for such a small amp(although it doesn't compare to his old Marshall half stack).. Usually he plays it on volume setting 2 and even that is loud for the basement we play in... It's also a tube amp....

How do the solid state bass amps compare to the tube amps? The GK Backline is solid state.. The Backline 210 is 200w(or 300w with external cab) and the Backline 115 is 175w I beleive will this be more than I need to compare?

Oh, BTW.. We play stuff like Green Day, Suicidal Tendencies, etc.....

Thanks!

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Been playing Bass for around 6 years and was recently in a band that did shows. Unfortunetly we broke up so I'm back to looking for a band that fits me.

Anyways, 175W should be fine UNTIL you get a drummer and start doing shows. Drums are very loud and will drowned out everything during practice and at shows. I have a 200W and I'm always cranked to full to compinsate for the drummer.

I personally have always been a fan of CRATE amps, but have never heard anything bad about the Backline series. Just go with what fits your need.

Good Luck with playing Bass. Punk Bassists always seem to be in high demand here.

3. Emmettology 101

thanks! Right now we play with my bro turned up to around 2 on his peavey. I've been playing through a friends 25w(I think?) Crate guitar amp... I crank the Crate as loud as I can without it distorting and then maybe a little lower. Am afraid I'll blow it since it's not made for Bass. With that set-up, we are about perfect with the drummer. We just play in a small basement for now... Need to get my own amp though so I dont blow my friends and also get a deeper sound. So far so good. Have only bee playing for about a month tops. Have a little guitar backgorund so the bass feels natural and actually easier since I'm not playing chords... Just need to keep practicing.. :thumb:

4. Emmettology 101

Well I bought an amp Friday!! Bought the Fender BXR300C!!! Man, I love it.. Really thumps...

Got it from my local Guitar center used. It's been there for a little while and when I went in they had a used Peavey 115...(had a model name but dont remember it.. Had red trim which I think is more of a newer model, Right?) Anyhow I had one of the salemen plug into both and play. He was really good. He played through the Fender first and it sounded good, then plugged into the Peavey. After that I immediately knew I wanted the fender! And I got it for $240!

One bad thing though. Got it home and one of the input jacks came loose on the circuit board. So I pulled it apart and swap the preamp inputs and outputs for the input since they were alot tighter. Works like a charm now!!! I am very happy so far!!

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions!

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

friend of mine who played in touring bands for a while always swore by his peavy (sp?). I'd agree, it always sounded good to me.