Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here run a 2300-2500 stall? Update2 MPG with it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Apr 1, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Cuz thats whats going in my TH350. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Id like to to know what to expect when starting off slowly would it not grab untill then 2300? or is that just when it really takes its bite in? I know it will be a hellava difference from the mildly built 700R4 i had..... Anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone here run a 2300-2500 stall?

that really depends on the power your motor is making. the same converter will act differently with different engines. i think you will be really happy with it in town, I really have no idea how it will act offroad. it will be interesting to see the responses....

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmm,
    I have about a 1800 stall in the blazer's TH350, and a 3,000-3,200 stall converter in my camaro's TH400. Depending on the engine theres no way i'd want to run much higher than 2,000 or so for slow going trails and crawling.
    I like the converter in the blazer, seems fine for crawling... 2300-2500 may be a bit high if your planning on crawling a lot, but for street, mud, and sand you'll probally be satisfied with it.
    You'll want to gear your diffs low also with a high stall because on the freeway you need to be going more rpm's than your stall speed, otherwise its slipping and creating heat.
    Whenever its below the stall speed its going to be slipping and creating heat, better get a beefy tranny cooler too.

Like my car got great gas milage going 3,500rpms, but when i had to limp it home going 2500 on the freeway it SUCKED way more gas becasue it was slipping a lot.
    my 2 cents.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I just took out my 2400 stall in favor of the stock unit. I gave it a year and tried it in all conditions to see what I thought. In the street is was great. In the mud it was also great. In the sand and the rocks and the snow, it was terrible. You could not get that fine control that you need to get over some rocks and stuff. In hard 4x4'n, The engine would rev and then the tires would spin and you would loose traction fast. You can get around this some by riding the brakes but that is a pain and brings in another facter, Heat. That tranny would heat up bad. I ran a B&M external cooler with a fan on it. I also had a deep aluminum pan for cooling. It still heated up bad. Even with 5.13 gears. I took it out and I like it better. I might put it back in for Mud racing season but I do run rock trails in the summer so maybe not.

My recomendation is to not go that high unless you mainly do mud and street with some dirt trails thrown in.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am currently running a 2000 rpm stall in my Suburban, but I am considering taking it out. It workes great in the mud and on lighter trails, but in the heavy stuff or towing anything of any weight it slips bad. It required too much throttle to get moving. It stalls quite a bit with my torquey 388 and heavy Burb.

When it comes down to it, it really depends on what you do with your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

ARTCARR told me they would build me a 1300rpm stall convertor for the rocks.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Im running a 2600 in PI and I love it. It engages and takes off as usual, but if I mat the skinny pedal it flashes up to 2600. Works perfect. If I am rolling along at anything under 26 if I stomp the gas it will again flash up and then start pulling.

All a stall is meant to do is quickly get your motor to where it starts making power. I really should have gotten a 3000 for the size cam I have, but went the next step lower since I dont have the "appropriate" gears in there yet.

There is a bad side to any good tho. It has SLAYED my gas mileage. But thats going from a 12in Caddy converter that was supposed to have a 8-900 stall speed to the 2600. It was a pretty radical jump really.

8. Wozdirt

Wozdirt Registered Member

I have a Precision 2200-2400 stall with a350 and th400 It has a pretty progressive engagement that works great most of the time. It can cause a bit of wheel spin when I am tryng to crawl and using a bit of go pedal to get up and over an obstacle. It really depends, if you want the engine to get into the meat of the power band for wheel speed such as mud or sand go with the higher stall, if it will spend most of its time crawling, go with a lower stall unit /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. 89K1500Chevy

Yeah Im mainly mud and street i got 3.73 with 33's. Its a Dracco TC did anyone have any probs getting the TC bolts into the TC? This one doesnt have any threaded holes so i guess ill have to find some bolts to go thru it and use nuts to tighten it all together? Will that work? Thanks for the replies guys it should work good for me in being that im in mud and street and some trails(not crawling trails just normal offroad). /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Sandman

If your doing mud and street, You'll love it. Get a temp guage though as it will heat up good in the mud. Even with the extra cooling, I had to shut it down now and then. Its cheap insurance. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Pure Insanity

Bolts w/ nuts is how mine came.

12. Pure Insanity

I have a crazy idea I am gonna try for a cooler, I have an extra AC condenser that the ends got twisted off, Ill reflare the ends and use it. It ought to add a good quart or 2 of capacity minimum and should keep it nice and cool. All I have now is the factory cooler in the rad, looped in series w/ an aftermarket cooler. I can stick my hand in the grille and lay the tops of my fingers on the cooler to check it. After driving for a solid 30 min, playing in the sand and then hitting the mud hole my cooler was still not very hot. It was good and warm, but I could lay my hands on it no problem w/out getting burned. If temp becomes an issue Ill do the condenser thing.

13. 89K1500Chevy

Re: Anyone here run a 2300-2500 stall? Update* WOW

Yes That tranny Kicks Arse Big time i really like it. The shifts are very snappy and nice. While i did this i also added a STE swivel TBI spacer and i really like it also it makes a nice whistlen sound like i got a supercharger... So far only been able to test it out on the street but i really like the shifts. It kinda started grabbing at 1500 but when it gets to around 2300 it really takes a bite and im gone very cool I would recomend this swap from a 700R4 to a TH350- heavy duty sprag,redline race clutch's, B&M deep pan, soon to have a big cooler and temp gauge. it was built by ME and Ronnie Cox "THE HAMMER" he did the vavle body i did the rest my First TH350 on my first try what a way to start. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

14. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But thats going from a 12in Caddy converter that was supposed to have a 8-900 stall speed to the 2600. It was a pretty radical jump really.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Howd u like the 12" converter? Better mileage? Better crawling? What about a lockup converter run on a switch?

15. Sandman

That should work good. I know several people that have done that with good results.

16. 89K1500Chevy

well running at 65mph im at 2600 and 70mph at 2800 thats close to what the 700R4 was with out the lock up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. 89K1500Chevy

Sweet well i just put gas in my truck today after filling it up last week and i could have drove it farther but i didnt have a gas can with me incase i ran outta gas but it went 260+ miles on 25 gal tank. not too bad i think i could have gotten 300 miles on it cuz my tank floater acts strange sometimes when the tank goes below 3/4 it just wants to drop to nothing. thats actually around what i was getting with the 700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    running at 65mph im at 2600 and 70mph at 2800 thats close to what the 700R4 was with out the lock up.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Holy cow! What gears and tire size were you running with the 700R4? Was that in overdrive, or just in drive? Those RPM's are WAY on the high side for running in overdrive.

19. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    But thats going from a 12in Caddy converter that was supposed to have a 8-900 stall speed to the 2600. It was a pretty radical jump really.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Howd u like the 12" converter? Better mileage? Better crawling? What about a lockup converter run on a switch?

[/ QUOTE ]OH man Im sorry I didnt check this post and see your question. I hated the Caddy converter, but I play in the mud mostly and like to be able to wrap it up when need be. The cam I have in my motor doesnt start to really pull till about 28-3000 RPM, so a 900 stall was killing it off the line and getting it wrapped up to make power. I got slightly better mileage, above I said it killed my mileage w/ the stall, but I found that I was "playing" w/ the converter all the time. Id be going down the road, and if I was under 2600 Id stab it to see it wrap up. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Now that the newness has worn off and I caught myself doing that, my mileage is back up to almost where it was. Ive never CHECKED my mileage, I just know what it should use going to and from work. 10 min ride each way, and I go home for lunch most days, on avereage Ill burn about 25-30 bux in gas per week. (at current gas prices of $1.55ish a gallon) The first 2 days I had the converter in I sucked up 20 bux. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

A lock up Id avoid at all costs IMO. Its just one more thing to go wrong. I like things simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

sorry for the dumb question but stall? what it that?