Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here smoke their own meat?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mofugly13, Nov 26, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

And I am not talking about autofellatio! Seriously, I'd like to start curing/smoking the game I shoot. But I need someone who I can bounce questions off of. I am not talking about slicing some up, marinading it and smoking it to make jerky, I have that down, made some damn good venison pepperoni recently too. I am talking about butchering an animal, a deer for example, into individual whole muscles and dry or wet curing and then smoking. I have a little chief smoker for the jerky, but I will build a small smokehouse for what I'm talkin' about. I have read up on it, and will be dry curing, then brining, then smoking, and then aging a whole leg of venison according to a Norwegian recipe I got out of a book called "Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game" But I would like some good brine/dry cure recipes. I talked to a fella briefly about it, he said he throws the whole muscle in a brine for a few days and then smokes it. Then he just slices pieces off of the muscle as he eats it. I din't get a chance to get any specifics, and would like to hear what folks here have to say about it. You know in the back of the Cabelas holiday catalog how you can buy smoked elk, buffalo, etc. That's what I'm looking to do, smoke some whole roasts. I have a bunch of different plans for smokehouses, and understand the requirements of a good smokehouse, but I'm looking for some recipes and special tricks/techniques to produce some mouth watering smoke products.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well i will help, i can test any meat after and will tell you if it is good:D:D

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

4. mofugly13

Yeah, I have that one too. I'll definitely use it as a guide when I go to build my own. I am looking for some tried-and-tru tips, techniques and tricks. And some recipes. I have an AWESOME pulled prk recipe that uses a hot smoked pork butt, man it's killer. I got it out of Weber's Big Book of Grilling. An outstanding cookbook, by the way, for a novice griller or a pro.

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

yeah, i'll uhm provide second opinions.

6. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

whenever I have a hindquarter, I go down the road to the Mennonites....one runs a butcher shop. Dude knows how to smoke some meat ... really hard to tell it is deer when it's done. :D

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ill help to, i am closer, save you on shipping :D

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think I'm the closest wait til he gets a taste of the filling..:D

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

nope im in sac hes in san fran, got ya beat :D

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'm talkin bout darkshadow??? I'm in Washington, wheres he???just say aye after the the letters C N D....:D

12. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i haven't been able to master smoking my own meat yet. until then, i let the ladies smoke my meat while i watch. :D

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i was talkin about mofulgy, the author of this thread
    i am so confused now :confused:

14. mofugly13

I'm flattered that so many of you are interested in the flavor of my smoked meat. But don't get any funny ideas just 'cause I live in Frisco. I will, however, be more than happy to share any culinary crations that come from my smokehouse once it's up and running.

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats OK I'm confused all the time, baffled mostly, almost like a delete all files "ARE YOU SURE" button and I stomped on it...:laugh:

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ok so we agree to be confused
    works for me
    i just want some good smoked meat, so however that works out,
    ok
    what ever
    a;kjjfgp

17. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

We do our own butchering. But, it all goes into the sausage stuffer, except for what we hang for jerky. My wifes family has been on thier land since 1875, and thier smoke house/butcher shop is over a 100 years old. The walls are about 2 feet thick, limestone. In fact, we just made about 150 punds of deer sausage Friday. I'm afraid that's about the only experience I have with it. As far as the butchering part, we just take everything off down to the bone. Cut out the tendons etc.. and it goes into the grinder with an equal amount of pork... then again for another round through the grinder, and into the casings via the stuffer.

We smoke it all, and the "fresh sausage" is taken out after a day or so.. and the rest is left to make "dry sausage". We split it in 3rds this year between, us, my sis in law, and parents in law.. and we ended up with 48 links. We left 18 for dry, and the other 30 for fresh.

Theres still plenty of deer season left.. so I doubt it will be the last batch we make this year.

18. txfiremank5

Oops, make that about 300 lbs of sausage.. :o 150 of it, deer meat. :thumb:

19. mofugly13

Wow, that's a lot of sausage, care to share the recipe. I just did 12 pounds of pepperoni, and could only do 6 pounds at a time in my little chief. I'd love to see a pic of your smokehouse.

20. txfiremank5

It's not mine to share.. it's my wifes family's and came over with them from Germany in the 1800's. It's mostly just seasoning in certain amounts etc.

If I rememeber to get a shot of the smokehouse someday, I'll pm it to you. :D