Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here switch to running on alcohol? (vehicle that is)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thefarside, Mar 23, 2004.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of running strait alcohol in my older 350. I just started researching it on the net and it looks like a fairly easy setup. I will need a new carb setup (maybe metering rods such) and a new fuel pump. I am not sure about a cam and timing. Also I hear that it tends to dry out all the gaskets but not too sure. I was wondering if anyone ever tried it beyond cheating emissions?

It would be rather funny if I get one of those tree huggers to try and put one of those (I don't care about air) bumper stickers on my truck then.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the only problem i see with converting to alcohol on a non compitition vechicle is expensive, here for race alcohol(only available) its like 4.50 or 5.00 a gal. the other is alcohol burns alot faster so you will use more gallons per mile.

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

unless you switch to a real high compression piston you would not really benefit from doing this. With Alcohol you use double the amount compared to gas.It also runs a cool combustion temp so you would need a strong ignition to light it..............

4. thefarside

I know it is expensive to buy which was why I thought I might try and make alcohol myself. I have seen tons of plans on the internet on how to make a still. I am not talking driving all over the place with the truck but I just want to see if I can get it to run with what I have made. I know I could never produce enough to switch all together. I just thought it might be a fun project.
    I also read that alcohol runs better under hi compression. I have a 350, I could put 305 heads on it. That would raise the compression to what 11 or so? I need a ignition upgrade anyway, so no biggie.
    I am not too sure about how much I would need. It would be a great experiment to find out though. Especialy if it was on a dyno to check HP/torque before pump gas and using alcohol.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

if I was building a motor like you are talking about I would go with 14 to 1 or higher pistons...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    if I was building a motor like you are talking about I would go with 14 to 1 or higher pistons...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    We shall see...

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Only real benefit to running alcohol would be to run very high compression and a blower.

Alcohol is very corrosive so it'd eat EVERYTHING in your fuel system if left in there for any period of time.

As said above, you'll need twice as much alcohol as gas to run the same engine.

I'd avoid it like the plague! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

We ran an Ethanol injected BBC drag car, Ethanol is not corrosive like Methanol. Like everyone is saying you need compression. If you really want to try it, go for it, there's ultimately only one way to figure something out, do it. So it doesnt work, who cares? If you learn something in the process it was a success /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bleedchevy

bleedchevy Registered Member

could you mix ethnol with gas? to give it a little more umph.

10. big83chevy4x4

AFAIK most of the gas that you put in your truck now is LIKE 90% gasoline 5% ethenal 5% kerosene.

the only one that i think that dont do this is amacco/BP

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

WTF???? There is NO kerosene in gas....

Kerosene is the same as #1 diesel fuel that the seller charges way more for....

Ethanol = 90% gas, 10% alcohol, I blend it weekly....

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ethanol is a corn based alcohol.

Gasohol is 90% gasoline 10% ethanol.

The new E85 which my Ranger will run on is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline, and it runs MUCH better on the stuff.

13. big83chevy4x4

i was told the there was some kerosene in gas
    i guess i was told wrong /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nope. There are many additives to achieve a certain octane rating but fuel oil is not in gasoline.

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Way to harsh on my part, sorry....

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I probably wouldn't mess with it. It does help achieve more power in a motor built for it that is driven one 1/4 mile at a time but would be a waste otherwise. It would be WAY more expensive to drive anywhere over gas but on the other hand....where ever you are going you would get there fast. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

<<the other is alcohol burns alot faster so you will use more gallons per mile.>>

Hi all!

Alcohol has much less BTU , or energy content, per gallon than gasoline, so you end up burning twice as much to go the same distance. In the quarter mile who cares, but with an on road vehicle, that'll put a dent in your fun when you look at the overall costs.

As has been stated, Alcohol is quite corrosive wrt seals and it's other problem is that it's a very dry fuel, meaning it has no lubrication qualities for valve stems, guides, or cylinder bores. Alcohol fuels have a strong affinity for moisture, so if you left the truck sit for a time, your fuel system gets to rot from the inside out. I wouldn't mess with it.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif