Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone here use Dunlop Mud Rovers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Oct 26, 2001.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I'm interested in a set of the High-Tec MT retreads (<a target="_blank" href=http://www.high-tec-retreading.com>www.high-tec-retreading.com</a>), and since they use the same tread pattern on their 33's as Dunlop uses, I was wondering how it does in the mud? I've met people who swore by the Dunlop Mud Rover, I've met people who hated the Dunlop Mud Rover, said it was like an AT in the mud. So who's got experience with the Dunlop Mud Rover tread in the mud?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350/4L60, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff, 2" Rancho[​IMG], 285/75R16 AT's[​IMG]

2. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

i have the dunlop radial rovers with not such an aggressive tread, and they even do pretty good in the mud.

EODBRIAN [​IMG]
    eodbrian@hotmail.com

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

walt88k5 has them, i think. He likes em, says there a good mud tire that wears well on the street.

I can personally vouch for the quality of the hi-tec retreads, (in the 31" AT variety) Damn things are like a new tire, smell new even come with the blue sidewall letters. Seem to wear well on the street too.....

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Kind of a poser tire aren't they?

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

5. AJMBLAZER

Oh, I'm sorry RedDwarf, did I hurt your feelings by asking an honest, 4x4ing question? Here, lemme go post some more stuff so you can put useless crybaby crap on it. Now run along and go tell all the other thin skinned bitches on truckworld what mean ol' AJM said. How long will it take you or one of the other weenies to go post about me? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?[​IMG] Dorks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350/4L60, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff, 2" Rancho[​IMG], 285/75R16 AT's[​IMG]

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Poser tire? Im with you AJM. for65 bucks a pop they can pose all they want. If i was staying with 33" as my tire size id have a set of muds on order right now. Let him knock it all he wants, but when you have five tires for the price of 2 of his, and your poser tires perform, Maybe he'll realize there is more to the world than the newest set of expensive offroad tires.

BTW, i think the green crystal stuff looks pretty cool, i like how its spread through the whole tire. kind of a neat idea....

--matt

7. AJMBLAZER

shaggy, I agree totally. Definately thinking about the green diamond stuff. Be nice for Michigan icy roads.

Reddwarf is one of these losers from Truckworld.com, a pretty lame truck site that I once belonged to (somehow I think what I am writing is going to appear there very soon, they do that), that have this grudge against me because of something I said a while back. If you want to find out about 12" Whiplash kits so you can run 39" Boggers on your Z71, then go there. If you want something useful answered, go to Off-Road.com or here if you have a solid axle Chevy. I gave up on the site because it had degenerated into a bunch of squabling children, the high % of poser trucks (IFS and 37" or taller tires for example), the fact that every time I asked a mechanical question I got 1 decent answer and then about 10 useless ones, and I had discovered this site and ORC/Chevy. So a while back I posted something on ORC/C and mentioned the high number of poser trucks on Truckworld, and before I know it one of my buddies is emailing me about some post on Truckworld where a bunch of them are crying about what I said. Then they did it again about a month and a half ago. I just laughed at them. It's really quite pathetic. Still a few die hards think they can hurt me or something by putting useless posts "taunting" me or some other BS when I ask questions. Children.

Sorry for the book, but at least you have a clue what he was talking about.

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

im with ya man. I've seen him make some ok posts on here, so ill try not to jusdge too harshly, but im glad to see your taking the right path in dealing with it and just ignoring most of their bs.

I think i would have ordered the green sh*t in my 31's had they been making it last year when i got them, but i didnt know about it then. It gets icy here in PA also, (not to YOUR standards i suppose) but this stuff seems like something to consider for anyone in an icy type climate.

--matt

9. AJMBLAZER

When I was in HS about 6 years ago I was driving home from work one night during winter, doing about 10mph below the speed limit because of the conditions. Next thing I know I've done three 360's, slid off the road, into and out of a ditch, taken out 3 fence posts, and have 4 electric fence wires wrapped around various things on the right side of my truck. One of those "high pucker factor" moments.[​IMG]

After that I've been a big supporter of things that improve winter traction.[​IMG]

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hey AJ, how's it going? Long time no speak. I don't know much about RedDwarf, I've been inactive for about 6 months or so (seems like forever) with my project pretty much on hold, but I have seen some good info from him on a couple of posts. He corrected me on some 203 info a while back. Anyway, don't know about the history or anything, just what I've seen.

Now, about the tires. Man, all I got to say is, if they made those Mud tires at that price (comparable) in a bigger tire (oh, say 40+) I'd have a set of them on my this little K30 poseur! [​IMG]

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

11. AJMBLAZER

Not bad man. Been spending a lot of time on ORC/Chevy and I also have been busy lately. Went to New Zealand to see the fiance this summer, got out of the Marines the beginning of the month, moved back to Michigan (it rains here and we have MUD!-hence I'm shopping for MT's), and now I'm doing the catching up with old friends/looking for a job/looking for a place/etc thing. Also still up to my ears in INS paperwork trying to get my fiance over here.[​IMG]

How's that beast coming along? Haven't seen you on ORC/C much, so haven't heard much of it.

I'm glad he doesn't just post crap all the time. However if he or any of the other crybabies wants to say something to me like this, I'll respond.[​IMG]

12. BadDog

Well, stage one (getting it converted to TBI 350, basically just functional) is about where it was 6 months ago. Almost done but not quite ready to crank. Financial problems (IRS rape followed by the bad economy) and family problems have kept my priorities on other things. What little time I have, I generally come here to CK5. For serious solid axle Chevy stuff, the signal to noise ratio is much better here.

Anyway, I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel so I am getting involved here again and I bought some tools in preparation for the next stage, cut frame and tail plus a roll cage and 40+ shoes. If you remember my earlier plan discussions (early this year when I bought the K30), when the frame is cut, I want to cut the top and back off the cab and join it with the cut down bed to wind up with something similar to the 73-5 Blazer but on the K30 chassis. Cheaper and easier I think than starting with a K5 and spending gobs of time and money to eventually upgrade almost every piece to 1 ton and converting a half top to full convert. Here is an actual <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35>example</a> of almost exactly what I have been talking about all this time. Look at "XTRME K5" and picture it with a wider door opening and the back of the opening angled a bit to the back (to allow easy access to the back seat which mine will have). It's very close to my original plans but I like the way he cut the back better than my original plans. I also like the straight cut on the front better too, I had planned on doing a large arc like the S10 hyprid in TTC. Eventually (probably before I can get the large tires on with only 4" lift) I want to offset the front and rear axles 2" or so out and fiddle with the springs/suspension angles. Ahhh the dreams, I'm beginning to wonder if that's all it will ever be...

Oh well, enough OT noise outa me. Gotta get some sleep. Good luck and take it easy.

Russ

13. AJMBLAZER

Sounds cool man. If you relocate the axles, are you going to use specially made springs? Seems to me that would screw with the springs, moving out of their arc somewhat.

I know how you feel on the money situation. Still trying to do the solid axle swap, even have a Ford D44 all lined up, just lack of $$$$. The Marines never paid well, and I have a lot of bills from being young and dumb with a credit card. Meanwhile my IFS is on the the downslope, and I found a place here in Michigan who does the solid axle swaps for an excellent price. Top notch work too! I was supposed to get this big bonus for joining the Air National Guard, so I figured I'd use part of that to pay for it. You know what they say, "don't count your chickens before they hatch." So now the whole thing is on standby again.[​IMG] Ugh.

14. AJMBLAZER

Shaggy, you had the Hhigh-Tec 31" AT's of theirs, right? How did they wear and how many miles did you get out of them?

15. BadDog

Yeah, there have been several long discussions here on various custom spring setups built from common spring packs. Donovan and Twiztid in particular have some cool setups (longer springs, relocated mounts, and special shackles) that keep me thinking. Of course, at the rate I've been going, I should get around to that about 10 years after I die of old age. [​IMG]

Good luck with the conversion and job hunt.

Russ

16. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

uehi had 31" AT's. I cant give the best estimate on wear and stuff, i only ran them for 3 months before i got the new truck with 33's. In those 3 months they hardly wore at all,(like 2000 miles maybe?) and they rode quite nicely.

--matt

17. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

AJM, if you're so tough and cool, how come you get so defensive? I have said nothing of your website/member bashing hobby.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by RedDwarf on 10/27/01 05:21 PM.</FONT></P>

18. AJMBLAZER

Which of your statements should I respond to Reddwarf? The first one you made, or the one you changed it to?

<font color=blue>Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:07:06 -0700
    To: AJM_BLAZER@YAHOO.COM
    Subject: Reply to your post

RedDwarf replied to your post at the site: .
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=253771

I want new tires but those big huge lugs scare me! Will they be too
    noisy? OOOhhhh!!!Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!!</font color=blue>

Well, starting with your first statement, or the one that I received in my email box curtesy of CK5, no big lugs don't scare me. I own AT's because I used to live in SoCal. Lots of road to get anywhere and very little wheeling, and very little of that warranted anything more aggressive than an AT tire. Now I'm in Michigan, where mud is king, and my AT's don't make it very far in this stuff.

I never said I was tough or cool, you guys are the ones who sit there and post useless, crybaby crap on my posts. I don't get how you get off calling me a poser, but whatever. I was refering to all the show and look only trucks on Truckworld, but whatever. I use my truck. I don't have the money right now to be building it like I dream of, and it's my daily transportation, so no, it doesn't have 1 ton running gear, Swampers, and a big block and I have to be careful with it because it takes me where I need to be. Maybe your truck and your situation is different, but how that makes me a poser, I dunno.

19. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Well, guess you showed me! [​IMG]

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

20. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Back to the Dunlops... Yeah I have the 35 inchers, and I just rotated them. They have worn excellently and I have no complaints. Ball joints are good so they wore pretty even.

As for mud, I have went through holes where I knew I was gonna get stuck but those tires picked up that mud and tossed it 20 ft in the air.

Reason I bought them is because BFG mt's are to expensive and everyones got em. Wanted to be different and picked up the set for under $600 with shipping. I was gonna get General MT's but I liked the Dunlop tread better.

35" All-Terrains... I don't get it.