Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone in ck5 propane powered?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Apr 21, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

anyone convert to propane here? Im thinking about doing my 1989 v3500 350tbi work truck,,,
    I was wondering if anyone had experience with the conversion and how costly it was/ how was the performance/mileage etc.. and whose kit did you use
    cam
    cam

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

We ran a tractor on propane on the ranch, ran it 24/7 all summer to power an irrigation pump. The oil barely needed changed at the end of the season, it burns really clean. I dont have any experience running a vehicle with it though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

MJ is building a propane powered motor for his project truck. I'd like to build a propane powered rig but I'd build a simply propane motor, and I want to learn what the best setup is for propane, so I need to find someone to teach me.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

OHG 450x mixer
    OHG X1 regulator
    Impco lockoff
    that is as good as it gets
    if you have a very large motor you need dual setup

OHG is 'Over the Hill Gang'
    a group of Impco employees, including the major designer and Ak Miller, left Impco to build the good stuff

I bargained a wrecker down to $230cdn for a complete dual tank OHG system
    I would have paid up to $600 for it and felt that was a fair deal
    one snag is that it is not in fact a shortbox set of tanks
    so I am mounting them in the box over the wheelwells

we have a bunch of really stupid regulations that I have to jump around to run it
    each line has to be "certified"
    so I cannot get a hydraulic shop to make the lines that must be rated to a whoppin 350psi with -6 SAE 45* fittings
    they have to be tagged by a certified gas line supplier
    I found a local shop that can "certify" my install for $100cdn + tax so I can get a sticker that allows me to buy fuel at the pump
    I applied for a cardlock account to avoid the sticker bit if I have to and it is a few cents cheaper as well
    gas is very near $0.90 per litre lately only dropping to high $0.70's
    propane is at $0.54 per litre consistantly with a further $0.07 off at a cardlock

propane is so simple it is sick
    the regulations are assinine
    I can duct tape a child seat to a jerrycan full of gas and run my car with it and no one cares
    but I need certified lines and certified inspection to run propane
    they have pretty much killed the conversion industry here by regulation for some reason

5. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifi know a guy named Hank who sells propane and propane accesories. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (sorry it's late and i'm in the early stages of an all nighter this is break number 1 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif)

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifi know a guy named Hank who sells propane and propane accesories. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Fourwheeler has an interesting article on a computer controlled FI'd propane system.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I don't think you can really differentiate FI propane, unless you count the throttle body they used.

I'd run it for sure if propane was a prevalant EVERYWHERE, not just in my town

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My rig is a trail machine so the worries about fueling stations are less. As far as EFI propane, the benefit would be the electronic control of the distributor, what many people feel is a big benefit of EFI with gasoline.

9. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

they have pretty much killed the conversion industry here by regulation for some reason

Big OIL. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I'd like to get a 6.5 and pump some propane through its veins someday

10. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

all the regs say that an authorized installer or end user may install the system,,,,
    although expensive it does qualify for a writeoff to the feds and here in california....
    Ill keep searching
    thanks everyone
    cam

11. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I am also Curious about what kind of mileage propane gets. Anybody?

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Actual fuel mileage will drop about 10%, but usually the less expensive fuel makes up for it. We had a 77 Ford F-250 on propane that got a whopping 8 mpg...but at the time propane was about 12 cents a liter so aside from the limited range it was no big deal.

Unless you makes some mods you'll most likely lose some power too. Our Ford was pretty gutless on propane.

My biggest problem with propane is tank placement, the last thing I want is a bomb under the truck when rock crawling and I sure as hell don't want the tank inside the truck...

Diesel made way more sense to me...bolts right up, makes more power, gets twice the mileage and the fuel is a bit cheaper than gas, also runs upside down, and it doesn't need certification. Most importantly I can find diesel anywhere without trouble.

Rene

13. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I saw that article too. Pretty slick setup. I'd love to run my Blazer off of it too, but can't see putting the tank behind the back seat with my Boy right in front of it...

The reason a converted Gas engine to Propane runs with less power is because propane has less energy per unit volume than Gasoline. However the increased octane rating of propane can make up for it. If the engine is built to run on propane from the start with a higher compression ratio in the range of 11-12:1 or more (to take advantage of the higher octane rating), the power would come back for sure. Yes the fuel economy would still be less than Gasoline, but like it was said before the cost makes up for that.

Screw together a 350 with flat tops and vortec heads and you would be right in that ballpark for compression. If I had a pickup instead of the Blazer I'd probably run that route. Say hi to Hank Hill when you fill up! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw that article too. Pretty slick setup. I'd love to run my Blazer off of it too, but can't see putting the tank behind the back seat with my Boy right in front of it...

[/ QUOTE ]I may convert to propane to get around the smog laws here in Cali and am wondering also what to do with the tank. What if you removed the gasoline tank and had a custom propane tank built to fit in the stock location? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

77 motor would have at best 8:1 compression
    if it had a 351M or 400 the compression was closer to 7:1
    definitely the worst case scenario for propane

I cannot wait til my cardlock cards arrive