Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone in OR/WA who has access to dealer auctions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by knudel, Nov 27, 2002.

1. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Maybe this is bad to ask. If so, ostracise me and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Anyone on here know how the dealer auctions work, and have a dealer license to get into it? I hear the Portland Auto Auction has just a ton of stuff and want someone to try to get something for me, with a reasonable fee or whatever. If not, no sweat, but I'm trying to learn about this to see if it's a feasable way to get a new truck to possibly replace/fix my wrecked /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with. So far I've got one guy I work with checking with his brother-in-law, but am not expecting that to pan out too much. Any input is great, ya'll on this board kick arse! Thanks!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been to a couple of auctions (and worked for an auto auction as a driver a few years back) and I'd say the only vehicles I would buy are ones that you only want for parts (such as straight body, etc., stuff that is easy to see if its good). But for a vehicle to buy and drive off with, no way.

Try a search on google for auction listings in your area, a lot of places have them online anymore, or in the vehicle sections of the classifieds or bargain trader, etc.

The "large" ones locally tend to charge anywhere from $50-$250 just to get in the door, and so I see your point in asking if anyone is already "registered" with them. Some are free admission though. Towing companies have their own a lot of times. Smaller, but I bet they are free to get in to.

3. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Pretty much what I want, or expect to find is kinda just that: one that's good for the metal, maybe a barely running 350 I can rebuild, that kind of thing. Used to know a guy who owned a small dealership, dealt only in Europen cars, but went to the dlr auctions, and was willing to get anything you wanted, and the ones he had were always really nice, since they were dealer only auctions. I've only been to a tow company auction once, that one at least was... OMFG, walked right back out. Yep, that one at least was free to get into. I wasn't sure what I'd have to pay to get out tho, my car isn't THAT great, but it's a 96 and pretty, and I think it was the newest one there by, oh... 73 years. Mang, I tell uuu... I neber 'tought 'dem country foke wood let me out!!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Auctions have gotten so profit oriented, that IMO, must are garbage anymore. Dumb people bidding junk vehicles sky high, and some places not even letting you start the vehicle.

Just be careful, and don't get too crazy if you decide to bid on something!

5. knudel

knudel Registered Member

I'm afraid of that too. I've been just driving around a bunch the past week or so, looking for Blazers, Suburbans, etc sitting around waiting for a comment. Today I think it paid off. I noticed what turned out to be an 84 sitting in a lot, pulled in, it's a 6.2, they want pretty much 3k for it. Sitting at the back was a Suburban looking at least somewhat decent. I point to it and ask what they want for it... and.... $1000. he says they were about to wholesale it off, it smokes. Go to look, it's an '89 3/4 ton, 4" lift that has gotta have about 100 miles on it, the stickers are still on the braided stainless brake lines. It's not smoking oil, running real rich diesel. I didn't get it that second, but how 'bout them apples?!?! Perfect body, base model, but can't beat that, right? Input?