Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone in portland area interested in teaching me a thing or two about welding?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by colbystephens, May 31, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

well, i'd like to start learning, but the classes at PCC seem to be too demanding for my schedule. i would of course pay for supplies and my own safety gear (not in a position to buy welding equipment just yet), and if no one is interested in teaching me for free, i could probably pay a small amount per lesson. in the process, i thought it would be great to make a bumper or two and maybe a set of sliders for my rig. thanks!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Slag hot, boogers bad.. End of lesson 1, that'll be 5 bucks...

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, you don't wanna learn from me. No one can warp pieces of metal that are supposed to be straight faster than jekbrown with a stickwelder. lol! Booger welds are common too. ;) Even when I lay short beads and take lots of breaks to allow things to cool they tend to not turn our right. I guess I need to work on clamping/jigs and stuff. lol!

j

4. colbystephens

hmmm. maybe i'll have to go beyond portland. :D

5. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Fine be that way :p: . I've got to get my welder in to the shop but after I get it back I can teach ya :D . I have all the gear so you just bring the metal and get a welders do rag for your head .

6. colbystephens

man, you are a real cool guy. what kind of do rag are you referring to? the whole mask setup, or just bandanna - cuz you know i've got plenty of those. :D is there anything i can do to help you get your welder up and going? if it's a matter of money, i might be able to find a way to help fund it, as i will also reap the benefits of that investment. :D but we can talk about that thru pm, if you care.

7. colbystephens

so is there anyone out there with a working welder who wants to teach me a thing or two??

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

sure.. but Im like 10 hours from you.. makes for a long class day..
    If you were heere colby Id be happy to teach you.. but since you arent....

go to school!!!!

ok .. in all seriousness,,,, call your welding supply companies and see when they are going to have free welding demo days from the suppliers like miller and lincoln... go down beforehand and make friends with one of the counter guys.. buy a little equipment... have him show you some demo beads.. ask for 15 minutes of instruction on a mig... play with it for awhile.. take some steel with you to weld on (clean.. 1/8 to 1/4).. go have fun.. go back each time the reps have their days there and have them show you more welding each time

Welding is a skill that takes practice.. practice..practice