Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone in the Auto Transport Business????

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by OL14BLAZ, Feb 25, 2004.

1. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Looking to get into the auto transport buniness and I have a few questions.

1st-What do you have to have in the way of insurance? What class of license is required to be able to haul cars across state lines?

2nd-From your experience what trailers out there are good quality trailers? One that if you keep it maintained it won't leave you stranded or in the shop all the time. I've read a little about Take 3 and Big Tex, are their others?

3rd-How competitive is the business? Is it over crowded or is there a demand for this type of hauling? On the average what is the going rate per mile?

I will be using a 2004 F350 PSD crew cab dually to start out with and may upgrade as the business grows, if it does.

Any and all help or advice is appreciated. As you can probably tell by the questions I'm a newbie to this type of business. I'm trying to do research before I jump off the deep end.

Thanks,

Eric

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

anyone?

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you are a newbie with no contacts or operating authority (interstate) you are better off leasing your truck to a company then driving it for them. You need at least 1 million bucks of PL&Pd, need to have an accountant and you definately want to be incorporated. You should have a class A CDL if you will be exceeding 26,001 GVW, and depending on the equipment other endorsements as well.

You will need fuel permits for the non IFTA states, as well as a single state registration, operating authority purchased from the states themselves, know the 70 hour rules for the log books, have a method of tax reporting and compliance, and many, many other things.

It is best to icorporate your vehicle if you plan on being an owner operator. The reason for that is that if something should occur that could cause loss of life or major property damage and you get sued all they can take is your business, not you personal belongings.

Look up a company called hotshot Express and they may be able to enlighten you a bit more.

If you are going to make a living with this trailer avoid PJ Trailers. They are good for personal, occaisional use but not the long haul. Think about Big-Tex, Titan, Haul more, etc.

John

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Damn, I never realized how much is involved.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn, I never realized how much is involved.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not even the half of it. I used to run 6 trucks under my own operating authority. I can go into detail but it will eat up some serious band width. LOL..

If he seriously wants to kow more he can PM me and I will send him my phone number so he can call me.. My wife is a D.O.T. Compliance Officer with Federal endersements, so if I can't answer the questions, she can...

CR

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Well between what you have provided, what I've read on other boards I posted on and a new baby at home, I think I will invest in something else. Just not the right timing to take on this type of business. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric