Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone in the Chicago area?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I have the opportunity to transfer to our Chicago office from Minneapolis. Its a much better job for me and a tad more money (15,000 - mostly due to cost of living).

Any thoughts on good places to live? I'd be looking for something close to transit (working downtown) and close to an airport (lots of traveling). But I don't want to live in a ghetto. I'm probably looking at 200,000 to 300,000 for a house - and would like to be within a 45 minute commute.

I'll be driving through in the next couple of weeks, but I need to decide pretty quickly :doah:and I don't know where to focus my search for a house.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I can tell you where not to live. I visited the Chicago PD main headquarters a month or two ago. Don't live anywhere near it......

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

with a range of 45 minutes you can get out in the suburbs, there is still some pretty cheap housing in this area. I live in around 45-60 minutes from the city, and houses around here are around the 200,000 range for a good sized house

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Im partial to the south burb's, down arround I-80. New Lenox, Mokena, Frankfort are all nice towns. 200-300K will get you a very nice home, and depending on where you worked downtown you could take the train (~45 min ride to the end of the line). Midway is about 40-45 min from where i am as well.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Cool - I'm still on the fence - we just moved here two years ago.

There are a lot of good things about the new job - but we'd have to leave the house we just designed and built. It does give me hope that there are some reasonably priced homes within 45 mins of the city.

I will avoid the PD :)