Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone In Va? Need A Little Advice

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by 58 apache, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

i have a 1958 apache front halfed with k5 4x4 running gear. 400 SBC mild build real th350, np208 10 bolt front and rear front discs rear drum power steering. all right here we go. i am in the process of making this a daily driver. a friend and i built it a few years back and he knew way more than me we skimped on some things and i want to make it the best i can now for a daily driver. mild off road use i am buying a old airstream 20ft and gonna cruise america and mexico. the engine is a fresh build. tranny needs rebuilt but as i understand is a great tranny,pre 73 vaccuum only. should i go to 12 bolt? i plan on maby a 33 or 35 x12.5 tire size? what gear ratio? what brand? remember primary street and towing 4x4 to get unstuck and into rural areas. i want to upgrade to disk brakes in the rear is that a big deal? especially if i am getting a new rear. do i have to change anything? what about a 4 inch lift? kinda soft springs? we put 3 body to clear frame. is the 208 a good transfer case? can it be rebuilt seems to bee leaking.is it worth upgrading to a a 700r4? i will be driving it often, like everyday, i cant seem to get out of it!!! NEED TO FIND SOMEONE IN SOUTH CENTRAL VA TO REBUILD TRANNY AND HELP WITH PROJECT

[​IMG]

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome aboard!!!

Beautiful, really kool truck ya have there!!!

I'm sure someone local will chime in that might be able to help. You're in the right place for help!!!

That 208 is fine, all depends on how much work/money you want to invest in determining on how heavy duty ya want the running gear. The rear disc conversion ain't hard, just assembling the parts ya need is the biggest job IMO.

3. DumontsK5

DumontsK5 Registered Member

hey man, i live in Williamsburg VA i just ordered a brand new 14bff with disk brakes and the guy i ordered it through has a teh kit for sale so you might want to look into that! i just had my tranny rebuilt back in 2003 its a 700r4 and im running a 241 tcase! i love them both they hold up when i need them off roading! Im in iraq right now so i aint much help to ya or i could introduce you to the guy who rebuilt my tranny!

with the gears i would run 3.73 best for on road with those size tires and will do ya good for mild off roading thats what i had when i was on 33s! i ran a 4 inch skyjacker and had no tire rub even when i flexed!

well hope that helps ...

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Good to see another VA person on here... I have a friend from Clarksville, maybe you know him? Benny Langford?

5. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

know of some langfords. moved here from vabeach 3 years ago im actually in buffalo junction about 6 miles from "downtown" clarksville.