Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone installed a car alarm before?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, May 14, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I am considering buying a car(blazer) alarm and I wanted to know what is involved to install one, any input on which one is good and so on will be helpful

thanx in advance.

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

They are pretty easy to hook up, if you need help just ask...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I work as a car stereo installer for a living. The shop I'm at does stereos and alarms. From past experience, I think there are a few reasons you should not attempt to do this yourself. A Blazer is one of the more simple cars to do an alarm in, but its still an alarm. Do you have a way of getting a wiring diagram to find out with wire is the starter wire, batt, etc. Do you have a test light and a good soldering gun? Do you know how to wire a relay and the difference between a postive or negative trigger alarm? I'm not trying to scare you off, but I just wanted to warn you. If you've done some car electrical work in the past, you might want to try it...like I said an old Blazer is a good "first alarm" car.
    One more thing. The alarm manufacturers don't want people installing their own alarms either. Every shop in my town sells their alarms at a price with installation included. And for all the alarms I've put in, it will void your warrenty unless a certified shop does the work...Black Widow, Alpine, Clifford, Ungo, etc.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

Never done one. I like to leave stuff like that to the pros. I've got a Viper with that horn that sounds the same on everyone else's alarm. Also had a kill switch added when I had it put in. Later on I traded a pair of Edelbrock high valve covers to a friend of mine (I got 'em for 30 bucks)and he got a friend of his who owed him some money to put in a horn honk (now it's very loud when it goes off and I can tell it from other alarms now) and a nice blue LED spaceship light and a light flasher for all my lights. I still have the little red light that blinks, but that blue LED is mounted on my dash and it lights up the inside of my truck like it's a spaceship or something. It's for those idiot's who would like to bust in my truck but aren't sure if it has an alarm. I know that if they want it they can get it, but there are plenty of other trucks where I live without alarms that would be a lot less trouble. Most of the car thieves around here aren't pros, just losers who don't want to work.

Phil in K.C.

5. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

If you have any wiring experiance it will be very easy. Providing you have a good quality alarm. I've installed four alarms, one was garbage. But I have plenty of wiring know how.I have an Audiovox one and it was easy to put in. The only problem is that it will take time running the wires.

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Having done this many times , I fail to see why the Blazer is any different then any other vehicle, it has doors, a hood, windows, four tires. Actually it might be easier...it does not have a trunk to bust into.
    Most alarms come with definitive diagrams that will allow the lay person enough information to install it perfectly and have 800 numbers to call for help.
    The first one I installed was a basic system from Radio shack for 40.00 that covered the door, trunk and hood. And had motion detection. The hardest part was running wires to the switches for the trunk and hood, the doors are easy, you just tap into the little plunger switch in the closest door.For the hood and trunk you have to drill a hole install the switch, attach the wire and possibly do some adjusting with the height of the switch.
    It is more pleasurable for the job well done and the education then to pay Joe Smuckatelly down the street to do it and not know how good a job was done.

2B1ASK1

7. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

WEll I have sold them, installed them, and repaired them. He is right though. A blazer is an aeasier vehicle to install on. You can get to just about everything you need. The wiring is under the dash on the drivers side and fuses. Pull your drivers eat and you can lay down while you are under there.engine compartment is spacious with lots of great places to put a siren. Dont forget a hood pin and an inside hood release. You will need knowledge of how to crimp connectors. Yes there is a method to it. Soldering iron is a good choice, Stay away from scotch locks they come apart when they get brittle. screwdrivers, cordless drill, and patientence.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Eagle, what else have you put alarms in? Let me explain it like this. You know how under a Blazer's hood everything is easy to identify and easy to get to? Ever try doing that to a new car? Everything is so cramped and hidden its not even funny. Same way for car alarms. You can use a test light in a Blazer. You cannot in all new cars because of either the computer or the air bag. What about a starter kill or wiring in door lock relays? Or how about an auto start? New cars are tons worse.
    Why would you want to attempt this yourself and void your warrenty and risk messing up your truck when it doesn't cost a dime more to have the shop you bought it at install it. And I'm not talking about Kraco, Radio Shack, Audiovox, etc. Like I said, all of the higher quality alarm companies think this way.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have done RV's, planes, homes, and so many auto's I cannot recall them all, the best time I had was in my porsche 914 and 928. Although a bit cramped, I am 5'11" 54" chest and 38" waist, I still managed to install. The latest I installed was on a 99 Suburban for a Masonic brother, it had the door locks, starter, auto everything, took about 3 hours...the more you do the easier it gets. The bottom line here folks is that if you do it yourself you learn and you know what was done and how it was done. How mant times have you seen on here wherefolks have taken the Blazer to folks to install something and it comes back all screwed up? Many...
    My point is ...try to install it yourself, take the mystery out of doing wiring on your Blazer, after all it is the easiest to install an alarm on...Right fellas?

2B1ASK1

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

There are books that tell you what wires are to be used when installing a alarm in any car. The books cost about $250.00. I use a friends book when ever I have a question. The alarm isn't hard to install the only problem is when you install it is it going to work right. If you think that a alarm is going to stop it from being broken in to your wrong. I've had everything from Viper to CrimeStopper in my vehicals. An alarm is just a deterent. If you want to protect your stuff get great insurance. I know that there were some guys in AZ that were targeting cars with alarms because they knew that someone was tring to protect something in there. After they got in and removed what they wanted the would put the alarm on the drivers seat. Some times they will do more damage to the vehical to get it fast if a alarm goes off. I have one question for you, "How many times have you heard a alarm go off and never even looked around?" Everyone has alarms now days.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

11. TheBlazerKid

Thanx for all of your input i think il should be able to do it all myself i have knowledge of everything you guys said i need to, The only hard part will be contorsioning around my 6'3" 300LB body to run wures,now the only question is what brand of car alarm do you guys recomend,I've heard viper adn radioshack.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how many bells and whistles you want. Radio Shack has some good basic alarms that are easy to install, remote controlled and will set of the horn and /or lights if set off, with panic alarm, and motion sensor for around 40-50 if you catch them on sale, then you can spend hundreds for the same thing , gold plated and installed by the "three week and you are a professional". It is totally up to you. My suggestion is to shop around for one with the options that you want in your price range.
    I remember a news story I forget the city where the guys were putting in the alarms during the day, then ripping off the cars at night, you are better off putting it in yourself, and remember, if you need help just ask...I will be glad to help.

2B1ASK1

13. TheBlazerKid

ill spend up too about 130 beans, i want a dual shock protection,but manly just something that wont bust right when i get it wired

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Hey Eagle86,

Now that you've opened up everyones eyes on the alarm installer/thief story the only thing I have to fall back on is my Locksmith/theif plan. Just kidding... I heard that one too, they'd install it one day and break into it a few nights later. I don't trust some of those pimply faced " EXPERTS " out there. If you go in there and you know more than them...LEAVE ! A girl I work with just got hosed by one of the local audio places. All she got was a sub box with 2 subs, and a 100watt amp and they charged her $1600 ! Of course that included all the wiring and install is what the guy told me when I went in there a few days later to discuss the charges with her. He said there was nothing she could do because she signed off on all the work already. It just goes to show you, if you're not sure check with some one who is before you get taken by the fast talkers !

L8r,

.Riz.

Don't let your alligator mouth get in the way of your chipmunk nuts !

15. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well, vereyone thinks that alarms are easy to do, just hook up some wires and there you go. I feel that there is more to it than that. First, an alarm is only as good as its installer, If its not put in well, it does you know good. A good portion of this prep work. Getting the alarm ready for the vehicle. Second Experiance makes all the differenc in the world. A good theif is going to get your rig if he wants it bad enough. All you can do is try to slow him down some. Instead of 15-20 seconds it takes him 5-10 minutes because he cant distinguish the alarm wires from the car wires or he vant find the brain or the power source is not accesible. There is more to it than hooking up some wirs. I have been doing this as a profesional for about 7 years and I feel that what I do is more than just hook up some wires.
    Also, when you buy an alarm, buy one that will be easily replaceable. If you loose the remotes, or they quit working, you will be upset whan you cant buy your ZAPPER alarm remote down at the quicky mart. Get a national brand, VIPER or CLIFFORD or AVITAL or EXCALIBER.
    this is all just my opinion, so take it as you will

89K5 payed 3k for the rig, spent almost 7k in the last 6 months on upgrades!!!!

16. TheBlazerKid

Thank you DBLAZER, I do think i will have it proffesionaly installed after hearing your input, also I am wondering what the typical charge should be to have one installed, I dont want to get screwed out of hard earned bills.

17. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Amazing..................

2B1ASK1

18. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My girlfriend had an annoying one in her car. I think it was an Audiovox, but I'm not sure.

Once she left the lights on and drained her battery. When I came to the rescue, as soon as the car received energy from the jumping cables, it activated, deactivating the ignition and turning on the siren. That made it hard to start, and made all the neighbors come out their doors to see who was robbing a car out there.

Other times, that $#!% alarm, would block the ignition and would leave her stranded. We had it removed, and the problem was solved.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

19. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

DBlazer, thanks for the back up. I thought I was the only installer here for a sec. I agree with you 100%. Hiding the wires and making things look different is key in slowing the bad guys down.
    Second thing is the saying, you get what you pay for. Oh darn, Clifford or Viper costs more than Radio Shack. Maybe thats because its BETTER! I compare cheap alarms to cheap tools. They both work, but I'd much rather have something equivalent to Craftsman or Snap-On.
    Third thing is to almost everyone else that responded here: don't jump to conclusions. Just because your friends sisters cousin got ripped off at a stereo shop, don't assume that every shop is like that. And not all installers are 17 year old rookies. Just ask a lot of questions of the installers, before you drop your car off. Are they MECP certified? Do they have a lot of experience? How long has their shop been around?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

On this subject I have a full convertable rig and was wondering if there is such a thing to have a 'motion' sensor so is someone was to climb into my rig while the softop was down to rummige thru my stuff it would set the alarm off. It would have to be just for the inside of the rig thou so a birdie flying by wouldn't set it off! Does this kinda alarm exsist??

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin