Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone installed MSD?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spincast375, Aug 4, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

We're looking at investing in the MSD ignition system on the 454. Has anyone done this? Was it easy to install? Was the increase in performance worth the investment? Is it reliable long-term? Thanks.

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I ran a MSD system on a drag car. Fairly easy to hook up (I used to be an aircraft electrician) and worked great on a high compression race engine. My blazer I run a near stock HEI though. An accel distributor with a stock coil has more than enough power and is very reliable. A MSD would be nice but would do next to nothing for my engine set up - slightly higher than stock compression, slightly bigger cam. I built for reliability and ease of finding repair parts - i.e. in the middle of no where.

3. rgood81

rgood81 Registered Member

Msd

Yes the msd is an easy install. Only took me about 2 hours, and I hate wires. As far as performance, I wouldn't really say it was that noticeable for me, but it's definitly an improvement. The best part for me was the rev limiter. I can't really say anything about reliability exept for what I've heard, only had it about 2 months. I can tell you not to go with mallory. I installed one in my truck, becuase a friend of mine had one laying around still wrapped in the plastic. I figured why not. Well it lasted all of 2 weeks. I pulled the side cover off and found loose parts just laying in the bottom of it. MSD definitly the way to go

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

IMO. Not worth it. Just more wires and one more thing to break when on the trail. For a marginal at best performance gain.

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i have MSD that is going in blazer when im to that point. i think theres no ignition system better. my buddy had a 32 ft speed boat that had two 600hp 454's in it that just didnt run real smooth until he instaled a MSD system then it ran bitchin. the yellow 66' chevelle in the "other rides" forum is his chevelle, it has a complete MSD system in it and it hauls ass.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I can give you long term actual results
    1989 v3500 crew bb 454 tbi
    gm distributor
    6a system... mallory coil... mallory 8.5 custom wires (the bulk kind so I could make them the perfect lengths)

I tried the wires and coil first... nothing noticable
    the 6a system (with the pre wired loom for gm) was super easy to install... about 45 minutes...
    find mount location...in my case I had a nice spot on the pass fender well
    wire,,, I have an aux battery so that was easy
    wire loom to distributor.. that was easy
    plug and play...

it took longer to put the mallory coil in getting it off and replacing the factory coil then it took to put the 6a on

We kept really accurate records on a 8k trip around the US....
    I dont think it helped the mileage in any recordable way BUT
    I DEFINATELY noticed an improvement on running cheap gas.... zero ping...even on backwood station gas...pulling heavy loads over the mountains for that reason alone it was worth it.... I hated hearing that little ping and having to back off before

I would do it again...maybe even spring for the marine version.. since I have hood louvers (get that big block engine bay heat out)
    cam

7. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second that, I have a cranked up small block that is very happy on 87 octane after I put on the MSD before it had to have 91

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Peterson's did a test on MSD, Mallory, Jacob's and Crane ignitions. All made LESS power than stock except for the Crane Fireball. Buddy has that on his Furd with an Accel Super coil, runs real nice and zero reliability issue. Had an MSD on my 87 S10 Blazer. Went out after 6 months.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hmmmmmmm.

I put in the MSD 6 Box and an MSD distributor on a 77 K10. There is a noticable difference in the way it runs. Much easier to start in the morning, runs smoother, small increase in mileage. Much better response at highway speed.

That's my experience with it, had a friend with garage space plop it in.

10. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I had a 6a on my K-5 for a few months. It seemed to cause a code 42 every once in a while. i took the unit off, and haven't had a code pop up since. Plus, I also didn't like all the extra wires, etc. that were needed to hook it up. It just cramped my engine bay... But then again I have a CCC/ESC system, so there were already 1,000,000 wires to deal with.

Basically, unless you are running high rpm's, I don't think it is worth it. The stock HEI is sooooo simple, and easy to fix....and parts are a dime a dozen.

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

your not going to get a deffinitive answer, to some its personal preference and to others its actual expeirence with one or more product brands. some people like one brand, while some people like others. any brand name ignition you probably wont go wrong with. do as much reserch as you can if its that inportant and make a educated decission based on what you find.

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thay burn oil much better than stock setups do.:wink1: i have a complet setup if you want pm me if you need it.