Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone intercooled a 6.5L?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by sled_dog, Jan 8, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am looking at getting a 6.5L truck. Thinking of mods of course, cause thats what I always do when I am looking at a new vehicle, look what I can do to it before I even get it. A friend just noted his Dad's seems to have some high IATs when loaded down. So has anyone intercooled their 6.5L? My buddy who found the truck for me has a Twin Turbo 05 Dodge and has a Banks intercooler on it. So his stock intercooler is sitting around doing nothing. We were thinking maybe we could fit it to the Chevy. Doesn't seem like there is much room to fit it behind the grill though. Another friend said the Intercooler kits for 6.5s fit behind the bumper. For $1500 a dinky little intercooler and some pipes sounds like bull****. Anyone?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i know what you mean about what mods your going to do before you get it.. i honestly can see it hurting anything but you are loosing some flow. but you gain lower temps. from what i asked about the 6.2 and intercooling i got a general its not worth it. the turbo isnt creating the kind of boost that really calls for an intercooler to keep temps inline.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It gets done quite often, actually. The problem is fitting one. The small ones are, well, small. They do work decent, but really only at speed since the fan isnt drawing any air through it. I know of at least one guy who made one that replaced his skidplate, its big, efficient and works well, but is in a very vulnerable spot. I guess thats ok if the truck NEVER leaves pavement, though. Fitting one behind the grill is going to be tough, there is no room at all for one.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Time for a big hood scoop and maybe an electric fan :haha:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sold the truck on my anyway. $2000 for an awesome condition 94 that needed head gaskets and maybe slight head shave. Oh well. See I am looking for a Diesel(6.2 or 6.5) so I can put a Cummins 12V in it without emissions issues. Intercooler would be necessary then. And with the mods I was looking at for the 6.5 it would have been necessary there too.

6. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

You can use a ford powerjoke intercooler behide the grill of the ifs trucks,that's what I use when I do conversions.

CrewCab59

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

What year Ford? Have any pictures?