Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone interested in a headliner write up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Codeman96, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to install a new factory style headliner in my 'Burb. Anyone interested enough for me to take pics and write it up?

2. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

I don't have a Suburban (Blazer here) but I would still be interested to see how you do it.

You wouldn't happen to know how to reupholster car seats would you?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do it! :laugh: I've thought about pulling mine down just to put some insulation above it. :rolleyes:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put foam insulation above mine. Its much cooler and is more quiet. :D

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

damn i should of took more pictures and notes when i did my interior.

i reupholstured the seats, new carpet, bowtie head liner and lower door panels, and custom made bed panels.

6. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Well it looks like there is some intrest so I'll give it a go. No seats for now but I plan to recover my front bench in the somewhat near future.

I will be putting foam board insulation up before the new headliner so that will be included. I picked up my foam (4' X 8' Sheet) at Home Depot for a whole $8 bucks tonight. I got the new headliner material and a large can of 3M adhesive for $50 at my local Hancock Fabrics this evening too.

Unfortunatly I don't have any pics of my hangy dangly POS headliner because I tore it out about 2 years ago and haven't had one since. LOL

I hope to get started tommorrow evening getting things ready. Get all of this stuff and now I think my brake booster is giving up :doah: ****! What next?

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

It's always the way. Fix one thing, something else craps out. But that's what keeps most of us going. To get out of the house, away from the woman, I almost pray for things to break. :D

8. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Thats just it I can't keep the tow rig running long enough to play with my other toys, dang it!

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

all you have to do is go buy the headliner material and some foam glue and you are good to go. cost me like 15bux

a writeup would be cool tho

10. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I would appreciate a writeup. I started to do mine about a month ago. I tore out the sagging crap and scraped the cardboard. I started to remove all the trim and realized that if and when I try to put it back together, I know the holes won't line up and get frustrated and end up paying someone to do it.

so any tips and tricks you discover would be nice to have. :D

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buy the 3M heavy duty adhesive. The stuff used to glue engine mats to hoods. Otherwise it'll fall off. The "light duty" stuff and the Super 77 stuff will survive for a little while.

I've done a couple dozen headliners (damn Michigan summers) but I'm always up for learning something new. My biggest complaint is probably doing the visors.

12. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I glued the 2 front panels and then by mistake figured out that cut them wide and they hold themselves and saves high dollar glue.

Here is the glue I bought.
    [​IMG]
    For starters.
    [​IMG]
    Its ALL pink inside. The headliner I mean. ;)
    [​IMG]

13. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Is the seat foam still good? If so it's not to hard to do.

Well.. I say that.. but my wife did our seats (in our old 84 K5 back in 98) with her moms industrial sewing machine. You need one of those and some sewing ability. After that it's just a matter of slipping them back on and using some hog nose pliers to attach the the seat frame (that was where I came in, so I say it's not that hard ;) ).

Also, if the seat foam is still OK, there is the option to buy pre-made covers for a little more coin, and put 'em on yourself.

I probably could not sew if I tried.. but my better half can!

14. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I was going to order one of LMC's replacement seat covers for mine since the frame and foam is perfect. My rear seats you would be hard pressed to know anyone ever sat in them. My front one is worn from my fat butt getting in and out.

15. txfiremank5

Mine in my 89 are in awsome shape front and rear since it was just a "mom-mobile" before I bought it. But, her kids must have not taken the time to reach for the latch, cause each front seat latch works off an on .. when they want to. SO, I do need to address that sometime soon.

16. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Is the seat foam still good? If so it's not to hard to do.

My front seats are pretty trashed. My back seat is in pretty good condition.. but it looks a little warped. Kind of hard to explain.. but not bad.

Well.. I say that.. but my wife did our seats (in our old 84 K5 back in 98) with her moms industrial sewing machine. You need one of those and some sewing ability. After that it's just a matter of slipping them back on and using some hog nose pliers to attach the the seat frame (that was where I came in, so I say it's not that hard ).

My mom can sew.. but she has a cheap sewing machine.. would it be impossible to do by hand I wonder?

Also, if the seat foam is still OK, there is the option to buy pre-made covers for a little more coin, and put 'em on yourself.

If I could do it myself, I would like to because my truck needs so much stuff. I would rather put that extra money into that stuff..

17. txfiremank5

If the foam is bad then I would not know much about that portion of the job. I know it would add more to the cost.. and don't know how hard it would be labor-wise. I would suggest looking for some good seats from someone that has removed theirs for race style ones. Put a "wanted" add here in the wanted section. I don't think you'll get the results your after by even attemting it by hand.. I can't imagine that being an option. A small regular sewing machine probably would not be up to the task of sewing the thickness of material you'll need to use on a seat. When my wife re-did ours the foam was all good. We just had a small rip that started running along a seam in the drivers seat. Plus, we wanted to go with a cloth vs. our old vinyl.

My only suggestion for using something tough, that can probably be handled with a regular sewing machine would be denim .. which can be cheap too if you have a lot of old jeans around.. or do some "thrift shopping". Then you could take one of the old covers off and make a pattern out of it for the "new" material. Sew it all up and put em on....

I guess it would help if your interior is blue .. ;) Something to think about though. Good luck.

18. 6.2LTrailblazer84

It looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy some. :D

I was hoping I might be able to do it by hand.. but since that wouldn't work it would probably cost more to buy a industrial sewing machine and all the material too.. oh well. no biggie.

Thanks for responding though. :)

19. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

20. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Well guys the job is done but, I didn't have my digi cam when I had time to get it finished and put in. I'll se if I can piece a write up together from what pics I have and the finished product.

It turned out awesome I have been without a headliner for so long (2yrs+ I'm lazy) I forgot how quiet my Burb could be inside. LOL