Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone interested in "tech" article on ......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Mar 15, 2005.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Anyone interested in "tech" article/ NOW WITH PICS!

Hey Y'all,

I just wondered if anyone would be interested in a "tech" type article on doing the "white face" conversion on thier gauges. I just got done with a set for my 87-R30 crew, and I think they really turned out good. I did take pic's thought just in case anyone was interested. Thanks,

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested. Getting things together to do my gauges. Would be nice for the Spedo & Fuel to match.:thumb:

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

just did mine, s o i would like to see how those come out. i saw those on ebay. id that the ones you got?

marcs. where in jerseyy?

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

:deal: pics.....

5. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Bound Brook. Central Jersey. About 30-40 minuite from Belmar.

6. conoverbandit

ok,

will try to post pic's in a little bit. I have to go to the FD right now and take my test for extinguisher training. But basically I went on e-bay and bought 2 sets of overlays from "express overlays" and done this my self using my stock cluster. :grin:

7. conoverbandit

Pic's added

[​IMG]Here's my gauge cluster in "stock" form.
    [​IMG]

Here it is in disassembley

[​IMG]

Dull and discolored needles.....

[​IMG]
    Needles repainted using some "bright orange craft" paint the wife has.....

[​IMG]

I had to end up and "light" sand all the gauges, cause when I applied the paint it "fish eyed" terribly. I wiped everything clean with thinner, sanded them, and applied light grey primer. After the primer was done, I applied gloss white over that and let it dry and cure overnight. Then I took my overlays and placed them where I wanted them to rest on each cluster and "rubbed" them down. These have adhesive backs and boy do they stick good![​IMG]

Here prety much is the "finished" product, I had to hunt the gear selector /indicator, my friend had a good one on a old cluster he had. I will do the same thing to it as I did to the gauges, but this gives you a good idea of the outcome. You'll notice that the clear cover that goes over this cluster has the little hole in it for the clock adjuster, the reason for this was when I done this changeover, it had a clock in it, but I didn't plan on ever using it, so I took it out. I figure sometime maybe getting a "vac" gauge or something and installing it.This was real easy for me, this is the very first one I've done. I'm going to do the one in my 4x4 next. Also, I'm planning on using the colored 194 bulbs in this, I'm partial to blue so this will be my color choice. I am going to experiment with different colors to see what "effects" they give on these gauges. I hope everyone like it, let me know what you think. Thanks for your time,

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm personally not a big fan of white-faced gauges, but I gotta admit... your cluster looks damn good.
    Nice work!

9. conoverbandit

Thank You very much.:grin:

10. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Autometer has the whiteface gauges with the blue lights, they call them cobalt, that look really cool. Just to damn spendy for me. Nice job on the gauges.
    George

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Any regrets? I mean do all the needles line up pretty good? What was the total cost? Look's pretty damn good :grin:

12. conoverbandit

I haven't had time to hook it back up yet. Did forget to note that in my other post. I made a "diagram" of all needles "resting" area. This is the place they rest at when you cut the switch off. I found my selector piece, all I have to do now is to fix like the gauges, and get my new bulbs and then I'll giver' a shot. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Wayne

13. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

What brand of gauges overlays did you use?Whas it very easy to line up and install?I am very interested in doing it. Also are you using colored leds?

14. conoverbandit

Hadn't thought of the LED's:rolleyes: .... I got mine from "Express overlays" on e-bay. Very nice group. I'm probly just going to a colored 194 bulb for now, may experiment with the led's when I do the cluster in the 4-by. Not hard to do, just look at the post with pic's. Remember to sand the gauge face or anywhere you plan on painting, cause I had a terrible time with "fish eye" syndrome. I'm not sure how the led's would react to the dimmer on the headlight switch though? I took the back off the overlay, and just kinds dropped it where I wanted then took a razor blade and carefully re-postioned it where I wanted and then started in the middle working my way outward rubbing it down. Then took a cloth and rubbed all around to get fingerprints/oils off. if you'ins need any more help please ask, I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Thanks,

Wayne

15. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

If your interested in LED's, this company http://www.superbrightleds.com/(Posted somewhere here b4) seems to have pretty good prices and direct bulb replacements.