Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone into Big Dish Satellite TV systems?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Nov 26, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm tired of the stupid cable company hiking the rates $4 every 6 months. The price is getting ridicoulous. I don't see the little dishes as any better. Lots of promotions toget you on board, then your locked in. Plus I've been to other peoples houses with the little dishes, every time they press a button, half their screen gets taken over with an advertisment.
    Anyhow, I'd love a big dish system, pick of carriers throughout the country, ala cart channel picking, i've priced out what we want out of it, it averages out to about $30/month, way cheaper than what we have now, and we'd get more channels that we want and less of useless channels, like sports and crap (which we don't ever watch).
    So I've been watching around, every few weeks I go searching around, for a dish and system that was close enough to pick up. Well this one popped up
    this morning when I serached.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270057346946&fromMakeTrack=true

So, what else to I need, it's hard to get comprehensive information, I know there's 4dtv, don't care much for the HD stuff, so not a priority, but will I need a decoder, I think they call them VCRS modules or something? Are they generally built into the recievers, like the one listed in the auction, or will I need something extra. I just have a hard time finding exactly what I will need.
    The reciever in the auction is a Toshiba TRX-2220,they still sell them retail $299.99. Here's a link to that: http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi4526004.html

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Those are actually still around?

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Bigger than ever my friend.
    LIttle dishes are just like a cable company, your locked in.
    Big dish get's the original feed, unaltered, cheaper, digital, HD, whatever,and if a new channel comes out, it's available immediatly to you. Your choice of carriers, purchase by 6mos, or 1 year, if they raise rates, just leave and go someplace else.