Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone into blackpowder revolvers or Cowboy Action Shooting?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtn. burb, Oct 14, 2004.

1. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I think I got the bug. Seems like a lot of fun! I am considering ordering an 1851 Navy blackpowder revolver (Sam Colts favorite) from Cabela's. No reg., no paperwork, and my brother say's it's a lot of fun to shoot. Any suggestions from experienced cap and ball shooters? What accessories do I need to get to get started?

Old West Revolvers

2. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

you'll have a blast boss!!! cabelas will have all you need...i'm pretty sure they sell a cap, poweder and ball combo that will get ya started...

with a revolver, you don't need much but that...no wadding or anything...don't forget to get urself a holster!!! those ole timey weapons look awsome in some good leather!

what caliber?? .44??

3. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sweet!!

They have some pretty nice bows on that site, too...

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

My first BP revolver was a 1851 navy colt. Good gun and very fun to shoot. They have a low recoil and are pretty accurate at close range. They were prolly one of the most popular BP revolvers ever made. They were favored by gun fighters back in the good old days.Because of their light weight and good balance. They also hit pretty hard, pretty similar muzzle energy to a .38 special.

You should have:
    1. A powder flask and powder measure.
    2. Ball lube. This is essintial in a BP revolver. You must coat the balls with lube before you seat them in the cylinder. The lube seals each chamber so a flashover can not occur.
    A Flashover is when all the 6 charges in the cylinder go off at the same time.

3.A nipple wrench

4.A ball puller

6.Percussion caps and FFF black powder

7.A nice holster. Not necessary but if you dont get one you will wish you did.

8.A nice bag to hold all the stuff

Cabelas sells a complete shooting kit that has everything you need. You can order it with your revolver.
    Happy Shooting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW I favor the .36 Cal 1851 navy over the .44 cal. The steel frame is better/stronger than the Brass frame. The brass frame is a copy of the Conferdate Navy colt. They used brass because steel was in short supply in The Confederacy in the Cvil war days.

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Big Old West thanks pardner!! Great advice, I appreciate it.

Im pumped up about this!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the great link!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. stick

stick Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ball lube. This is essintial in a BP revolver. You must coat the balls with lube before you seat them in the cylinder. The lube seals each chamber so a flashover can not occur.
    A Flashover is when all the 6 charges in the cylinder go off at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i use crisco shortening for this purpose. its cheap and works well.

9. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Good idea. Hey, I am temted to get a Walker Colt (biggest is best mentality again). It weighs in at over 4 1/2 lbs.!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I think I'll go with the 1851 Navy though. Any thoughts?

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

3.A nipple wrench

4.A ball puller

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Just kidding, I have one of those 1851 Navy's, my stepdad left it to me when he passed away. I'm looking forward to trying it out, I'm picking up all the guns he left me at Christmas.

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I bought the 1851 navy .44 cal "reb" revolver from Gander Mountain way back when I was in *th grade. I bought the brass frame version. The hammer spring broke and I sent it back, and by then they had a .44 cal. with the ColorCasehardened steel frame for like $20 more. Not as authentic, but a lot stronger. I cast my own lead round balls, and use Pyrodex. I can't find BP anywhere in/around SF. Something about DOT not allowing it to be transported over bridges. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Anyway, I like it a LOT. Very fun to shoot. I dont coat my balls with the lube tho'. I just top off each cylinder with crisco after I finish loading it.

12. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

3.A nipple wrench

4.A ball puller

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Just kidding, I have one of those 1851 Navy's, my stepdad left it to me when he passed away. I'm looking forward to trying it out, I'm picking up all the guns he left me at Christmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the colt action army .45, nice gun

All you need to do is live in find a place in america where some liberal jack ass hasn't removed your constitutional rights. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Looks fun, I might have too get this one myself.