Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone into Quantum Physics?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Jan 30, 2004.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Heard an orientation on a quantum physics class not too long ago and got hooked. I want to know more. Where does someone start in order to delve into this sort of stuff... Plenty of community colleges around here but is there any other credits you need in order to get started?

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I got my degree in particle physics but switched from quantitative only a few terms before graduation.

Its really hard to say "where do I start"... I started by failing out of the engineering school. started taking classes in physics, I took pretty much every physics and math class offered and somehow managed to gain enough credits and write enough papers to declare it my major and graduated with a 4.00

I have 3 terms left before I get my double major in particle and quantitative physics, and 1 year before I can get a degree in Mathematics.

Which is cool as hell if you hang out in circles of people that understand what that means, but shitty if your trying to pick up chicks with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif "hey baby... I have 2 degree's that less than 5% of the population is capable of getting" - "get away from me dork!" /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Go to Amazon.com and buy a used text book on the subject. Read that, and I'm sure you won't find it so interesting anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Watch Quantum Leap. I think it's the training video on the Physics part....... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Great subject for mental gymnastics.

If you want some good recreational reading, pick up anything written by Stephen Hawking.

Stephen Hawking has a fairly simple way of explaining very complex quantum theories.

If you ever get the chance to see him lecture, do it!

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I'm about 2/3 of the way to my engineering degree, and have taken a couple of physics courses. You mentioned that you had a couple of community colleges near you. That is a good start. You will need to get into a university to go as high as quantum physics due to the number of pre-req's and the fact that a community college usually only have below a 300 level course. There is also the issue of math requirements for a physics class. Most need a proficient calculus basis. You could always just start reading up on the theories and not worry about the math.

Just my .02

7. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    You could always just start reading up on the theories and not worry about the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was looking for to begin with. I kind of want to get a look at the theories first. I'm going to take Goober's advice and look up some books on the subject.

I'm not afraid of math. However I've had no formal calculus. Mainly, the ideas I've heard so far intrigue me to the point where I want to know more. I don't even know why... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Heard an orientation on a quantum physics class not too long ago and got hooked. I want to know more. Where does someone start in order to delve into this sort of stuff... Plenty of community colleges around here but is there any other credits you need in order to get started?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read through the rest of this post, so forgive me if I'm repeating or offending anyone...

I was a physics major for 3 years. I had good grades and if I may sound arrogant for a moment, I have the brains to be a Math and/or Physics major. I woke up one morning and realized that all the guys I knew who were graduating with or who were living with a Physics degree were either:

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Making a Zillion bucks in one of the 14.678943 available high-paying physics jobs.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Teaching Physics and wishing they were making a Zillion bucks in one of the 14.678943 available high-paying physics jobs.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Smoking Dope and working at 7-11. No Kidding.

I switched to Manufacturing Engineering and even with so much manufacturing going overseas I'd still bet there is a better job market for me than if I had completed my Physics degree.

Just IMHO. Of course there is the argument to be made over whether you want to spend your life doing something you love or if you want to make a good paycheck, or if you want to be filthy stinking rich at all costs. I'll save that for a different post.

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go to Amazon.com and buy a used text book on the subject. Read that, and I'm sure you won't find it so interesting anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several used Physics books holding up various pieces of furniture in my house if you need one! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. landsmasher

Oh I didn't want to get into it for a living. Just curious about the whole idea. One of those things you just find yourself needing to exlore...