Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone into rappelling? or other extreme/crazy stuff?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Sep 28, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well? is anyone else in here into rappelling? or does the thought of sliding down a 11mm rope 200' long or jumping off of cliffs scare you guys? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif i love it! there's no other rush i've experienced like leaning backwards over the edge of a cliff and jumping off. and free rappells, WOO don't get me started. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

for those into it, have yall heard of the PETZL pirana? it's awesome it kicks the figure 8's butt!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: anyone into rappelling?

I went off of a Huey a couple times at 100'. It was a blast. What's breaking? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I think I'd dig it.

I say that now while I'm sitting here, but when it came down to it I think I'd go for it, maybe.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like fun. Have you tried sky diving or hang gliding ??? One of these days I will bungie jump.

5. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

i wanna do all of that. all of that stuff seems cool. sure it takes alot to do it but still sounds like a blast. later.

jacob

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I did it once down in to a cave..You can keep it... That was enough for me..

7. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I do lots of caving and the biggest pit Ive dropped is 340 and it was FUN FUN FUN. I wanna drop one of them pits in New Mexico there like 1200ft deep. Speaking of the Petzl pirana i use just a simple 6 bar rack its safe and simple. And I use a rope walker system for my ascending.

8. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

I like climbing and rappelling pretty well since we have to do it in ROTC pretty regularly. I can't wait till i get to do some fast roping at air assualt school too. Get certified to run a tower somewhere and ya get paid pretty decent cash to watch people scare themselves to death...i get to do it pretty often thanks to the BSA

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. muddysub

I've never used a rack before, are they fast? i love the pirana. haven't dona any caving yet but i love canyoneering!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i've never skydove, bungee jumped or hang glided before but i wanna do it all oh and base jumping looks AWESOME!!

10. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With a rack you can go as fast and slow as you want for a pretty far distance there used mainly for that reason. A Petzl "Stop" you can get going pretty fast as well but dont go over about 100ft drops or you'll burn your rope up and Im sure you could guess what happens then.

11. muddysub

yes petzl stops can pretty fast.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You wanna rush? You should try sliding into a ditch and squeezing off a hit and blowing 2" 60 PSI gas line, brother. Or doing a live disconnect on a 42 PSI service tee.

Rapelling, schmapelling..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif I get all the thrills I need at work!!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

13. muddysub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You wanna rush? You should try sliding into a ditch and squeezing off a hit and blowing 2" 60 PSI gas line, brother. Or doing a live disconnect on a 42 PSI service tee.

[/ QUOTE ] huh?

14. Can Can

What don't you understand?

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

So you are taking "hits" at work... hmmm no wonder you like your job! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. Can Can

HEHEHEHE!!! The gas exposure hasn't affected me at all!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. muddysub

here's what i don't understand... "squeezing off a hit and blowing 2" 60 PSI gas line, brother. Or doing a live disconnect on a 42 PSI service tee."

what are you hitting? why are you blowing 2" gas lines? and what is a live disconnect on a 42 PSI service tee?

18. Can Can

Whoops...sorry. My bad. I guess I've been using those terms for so long that I forgot that someone who's not in the industry might not understand them. DUH!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I work for a natural gas distribution company. On a regular basis, stupid landscapers/homeowners/excavators dig without calling for buried utility locates(we provide this service for free). As a result, these same stupid people will hit and rupture a live gas line. My job requires me to respond to these "hit and blowing" calls and stop the flow of gas. Most of the time, the line that is hit is small(1/2" or 3/4") because the dig area was in a yard(ie. tree planting).

However, the odd time I'll get a call where someone was digging over a main feed line(what we call a main) and hit it. The "mains" are generally bigger(2" to 10") and can have an operating pressure of up to 60 PSI. Picture a 2" diameter pipe with a steady 60 PSI screaming out from it. Now consider that the product spewing from said pipe is very flammable. I don't think you can appreciate the scene unless you actually witness it.

How I actaully shut the gas off depends on a large number of factors, but sometimes the only way to do it is to slide into the hole where the rupture has occured and do a P.O.R.(Point Of Release) squeeze, where I use a squeezing tool to squeeze the open pipe shut. Trust me, this maneuvre gets the adrenaline pumping, especially when you've got a street full of Emergency Service vehicles with their sirens on and a fire chief standing by hoping you get the sucker shut off before he has to start evacuating nearby buildings.....

I could start explaining a "live disconnect" to you, but I've already hijacked your post enough, brother. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I hope that wasn't too much info. I just thought I'd better re-explain what I was trying to say.

19. muddysub

wow that sounds cool. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I could start explaining a "live disconnect" to you, but I've already hijacked your post enough, brother.

[/ QUOTE ] LOL no prob it was interesting.

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I used to climb and rappel a lot a few years ago. Might get back into it. I rappeled once down a 75' cliff at a fairly rapid pace on an ATC...there's no stopping that thing. I realized about halfway down that the ATC is a belay only device or for SLOW rappels!!!

I was curious...so...
    Pirana[​IMG]

And if yall dont know...ATC:
    [​IMG]