Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone jack their house floor up??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boggerless, Dec 26, 2005.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i did it 9 years ago but that was three drunks construction.:rolleyes: i have a crawl space and was thinking about running an i beam from end to end under the house.jacking that up and re cementing the holes in the block.anyone have to get their floor straight??? what do you think? thanks daryl

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why is your foundation falling apart or something?

3. boggerless

no, it used to leak at the chimney and the floor was sunk in there.my house used to be a rental house so it needed alot of work.but my house payment is only $398.02 a month.:laugh: taxes and ins included.its worth over $90.000,00 and i only owe $39,158.06 and i own the property next door.so this year we will put the addition on,29 x 40 ft.:bow: my house is small now,ask DARKSHADOW.:haha:

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The I beam is a good idea, but HOW are you going to move it into position. Also, all that pressure on one block could cause that block to fail. Getting floors flat and level is a PITA! Pour some piers in the crawl space-24" deep minimum. Then go buy some of those screw jacks they use to set modular homes on. Use them, evenly spaced to hold the I beam up. I have dealt with a buttload of old homes and their sagging floors, and every one is an adventure!!! You could buy thinner glue lams, get them under the house and then glue and screw them together for a beefy support beam.

5. boggerless

here is my plan,cut a hole 12in wide and 2ft below the floor in the block.get a six in high i beam?? and roll it on pvc pipe to the other side,used a floor jack to get it up in the other hole and finish pushing it through with one of our loaders.then putting jacks under it for support and then filling in the holes in the block.what do you think?

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

How long is the I beam going to be? Might be too heavy for the PVC. Good thinking though. Grab ya a piece of 3/4" plywood to set the floorjack on.
    Don't know the layout of your house. Can you pull a string from one end of the floor, to the other, above the I beam? If you can, screw a piece of 2X4 to the floor, at each end, pull a string TIGHT over the tops of the blocks. Now you can measure down from the string to the floor to check floor height in relation to the height at the end walls. Some guys use lasers, but hell, we ain't building a watch, and a laser takes more time and people. Any other ?s PM me.

7. boggerless

thanks,thats a great idea. i never though about a string! after all the cement forms i've done?DUUU i'll definetly PM you when i start.:D THANKS AGAIN