Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone kickbox?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spongeidys, Mar 14, 2006.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

im contemplateing starting to take kick boxing classes a friend said he would join up with me in the fall if i go through with it, i wouldent be able to do it in the summer cause of the hours that i work.

was just wondering if anyone here has taken kickboxing or any other offensive fighting training of any sort and would have any imput on how the classes are structured and so on ;D

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Try a Chuck Norris hair cut first to see if You like it:D

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Good idea, good to have that there just in case.......

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well it never helped You from getting beat down like a little school girl:D

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

True, im a little big up top, but i have chicken LEGS!!!!!

For the win:haha:

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I bet I have way skinnyer legs then you. :D

7. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

If you do take kickboxing classes, make sure they're REAL kickboxing classes. I see alot of places that advertise kickboxing, but they're really only cardio classes that do kicking and punching motions.....sorry, but that's not kickboxing.
    I have a black belt in Tang Soo Do. It's somewhat similar to Tae Kwon Do, but not as soft or wattered down. But they are both offensive and defense martial arts.

8. spongeidys

yeah i dont want a cardio class i want somethign where i can spar with other people and such i used to take tae kwon do when i was younger but i was a little undetermined kid so i never really got far

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

works for me...:haha: :haha: :haha:

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I guess it all depends on what you want to achieve. Are you looking to hone your fighting skills while getting a workout? Are you hoping to compete one day? Or are you just looking for a way to burn up a little time?

I used to box, and my club would set up inter-club fights from time to time to give us a chance to get in the ring without having the results affect our standings. Every so often, a kickboxing club would join in on the fun, and to be honest, they didn't fare very well. Our fitness levels were comparable, but their training focused WAY more on their legs, and their hand skills really suffered. From my experience, which is somewhat extensive:whistle:, a good set of hands wins the battle every time.

I guess I'm biased, but IMHO, if you're looking to develop your speed and power in order to better defend yourself:wink1:, you should seriously consider taking up boxing. I hope all my rambling helped.

11. gauder

gauder Banned

Yes, to second what others have been saying, you want a muay thai kickboxing club. You will get enough cardio during training there, but will also learn how to actually fight and spar as compared to those cardio kick-boxing classes offered at most gyms now. Tai-Bo anyone? lol.

I have been involved in martial arts for going on 18 years now, and I second what the Can-Man says. Fast hands are a very important part of self-defence and self defence and discipline should be important reasons for wanting to take anyform of martial arts. I don't know if there are any good kickboxing clubs in your area but would bet that there are some good boxing clubs and that would be a good start.

It is a very exciting time for martial arts right now with the growing momentum that organizations like Pride and UFC are gaining. There is a growing tendency to absorb many of the useful techniques from many disciplines and throwing out of those that are less useful. Check out and see if there are any local wrestling clubs too as they have a lot of useful techniques if you find yourself on the ground.

Enough rambling, hope this helped a little.

12. spongeidys

i just wanna be able to how shall we say this....kick peoples ass's if i wanted to hah getting a work out is just a plus..i just want the fighting skills