Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know a good diff shop in San Jose???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, Aug 4, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I only know of one shop that does full differential work in the san jose area and I am no longer going to them cause they tend to do really bad work of late. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the san jose area that will do gears, axles, etc....have a few vehicles that need new gears. Thanks.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah um what place should we stay away from? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've gone to rearend specialties the last few times i blew up my 12 bolt...

I think there's a place called bayshore truck up near freemont or milpitas that does gears... PM Greg72 and he can set you up with the info.
    If you need anything done driveshaft related, i'd call Steve at South Bay Driveline. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I am not shy about it...rear end specialties is the place I will not be going to again. Everything I had them do last nov is now broke. My buddy took his 81 yota there and got the runaround...they forgot to torque the rear end and everything came apart (they did fix this and no probs since) he also had them replace a hub seal for him and when he went in to rebuild his front end he noticed the seal was all hammered up...like it was installed with a ball pean hammer. Hopefully they rebuild my rear end on warranty but after that I am going somewhere else. Thats why I need a new place...I have my car and my truck that I need new gears for and cant trust Rear End Specialties anymore.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hear ya... I guess they USED to do good work..
    My buddy had a 9" set up by them.. After putting it back in the truck and taking it down the street it was whining like crazy.. He went back down there and talked to them and they tried to say it was everything but the gears....
    So he finally took the rear back down to him... and the gears were making noise and were shot... they installed a new set of gears under warranty, and now its fine.... but they tried saying it was his driveshaft pinion angle that caused the gears to get f'd up. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know its not San Jose but, give Mark's Transmissions in Fremont a call, 510-790-3322 and ask for Markie. They have been doing gear swaps for a long time now and they did the gears in my D60 front a while back and all is good. When you call make sure that you tell Markie that Scott from Fremont Machine sent you there and he will take care of you.

7. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Freemont is not bad at all...thanks for the heads up, I will give him a call once I get this warranty thing out of the way with Rear End Specialties. I will most likely see if he can double check their work cause I just dont trust that place. Thanks again.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Bayshore Truck.....off Brokaw Rd, near the airport.

They normally do the BIG gearsets (18-wheeler 3rd Members and stuff like that) but they did a rear gear swap for me and seemed to really know what they were doing. Didn't even have a problem installing a used ring& pinion that I brought them.....labor was around $120, and would have been cheaper with NEW gears, because they probably could have gotten the shim thickness right with only ONE try instead of THREE.

Still a reasonable cost from what I've seen.... just don't have them build your driveshafts. Take that business to South Bay Driveline, or Jesse here on CK5 (High Angle Driveline)

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Petes Gear Shop in Hayward does good work also, I dont know what othere
    shops warranties are. But theres is 12 months/12k miles. 510 537-9446.
    Id say South Bay Driveline for the shafts, mines held up just fine!

10. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

wow alot of you guys are local cool! sorry dont mean to but into the post but i saw the word san jose, and thought id chime in!

11. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    wow alot of you guys are local cool! sorry dont mean to but into the post but i saw the word san jose, and thought id chime in!

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

We'd know more about YOU if you'd complete the rest of your profile! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also check out www.norcalbigdawgs.net

That's the local club website. A lot of the same "San Jose" guys you see here on CK5, but it's more specific for local gatherings and events. It would be good way to meet the guys in person.....

12. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

sorry. is that better?

13. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry. is that better?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifyep.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Suburban's are cool!