Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know a lot about wiring?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 16, 2002.

Got an interesting one for you. In my truck at night the left turn signal arrow will stay slightly illumniated, and when I click the left turn signal it starts flashing like normal. However the front turn signal, and side marker lights do not illuminate, but the rear does. Once in a while the glowing left arrow will turn dark like normal, and everything will work fine. Sometimes it will work fine for a few days, sometimes minutes, but then it will start glowing again and do the same thing. It used to do the same thing but with the right turn signal, but then that stopped and now it's doing it on the left. You just cant win!!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Thanks for your help.

1. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I had the same problem. It turned out to be dirty connectors .At the rear underneath there are snap connects (usually tucked in on the frame .Just find them and spray electrical spray cleaner in them and it should work .Check all fuses .And if you have a tow set up check the trailer power wires for loose grounds..hope this helps good luck.......

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the light "will stay slightly illumniated" sometimes...
    It sounds like you've got a bad ground for your lights... maybe out where the bulb plugs into the socket there's a grounding tab?
    It's backfeeding through your turn signal indicator on the dash because it is finding the path of least resistance to ground through that more than likely.
    my 2 cents. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

This may be a longshot, but it worked for BigTex and me. Your wiring harness to the instrument cluster circuit board may be loose. You have to get behind the cluster (remove it) and there is a plug-in right next to where the speedo cable goes in. Make sure that the plug is tight. A Chiltons/Haynes gives a pretty good description of how to get at it.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Another thing you could try is changing a couple bulbs. While you're changing them, lightly brush out the sockets as best you can. Inspect everything, too, and replace anything that's damaged if you can.

Good luck! Electricity is a funky thing!

5. Thanks for your help guys. I am going to get under there pretty soon (not feeling well) and start with the easiest of your suggustions frist and work my way up till I find it. Thanks again

6. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

try pulling all the light bulbs out on the one side or all on the truck and try only front lights them only back lights until you find the problem socket or ground. Last year I did this and found out there was road salt and ice in my trailer connection after about an hour with all the lights out of the truck. the only thing that had worked before was the head lights. the ice was blowing fuses