Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know about 96-99 Vortec ECU's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grizz84, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

Im about to lay hands on a complete '98 5.7 Vortec changeover from a 2 door Tahoe for my '84 K5. Im trying to keep everything up to snuff on the emissions just incase the smog nazis decide to come to my city to try and take my blazer away from me. I was wondering if a hall effect sender on my 700R4 would be an exact match to the factory VSS signal so it wont trip the ECU into limp home mode.

I could be just way over analyzing the situation, im mostly use to dealing with Gen III engine systems that take the VSS signal in conjunction to determine engine load. Im just trying to figure out what kinda can of worms i'll be opening up by not having the 4L60E hooked up. I like my 700R4, plus i just got through rebuilding it 2 months ago so just tossing it in favor of a 4L60E is a no go. Anybody that's done the swap and can lend a hand on the ECU information, i'll appreciate it. Everything besides that im straight forward on, i even get to use the fuel pump off the Tahoe with a factory blazer FI sending unit.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just a fyi . i think thay suck for power conpared to my old tbi motor. also thay eat intake gaskets and some times the 500 doller injector spyder. also need a shop scanner to set timing on them .

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure about your specific engine, but on my GenIII swaps i've had the computer reflashed, and there is no need for a VSS.
    It was more of a deal where i just needed to see if the engine is going to stall out under hard braking (with an auto tranny). If it stalls out than a VSS is a good idea because it will see the road speed is decreasing and it bumps up the idle a little when you come to a stop.
    As for emissions i really don't think you need the VSS and it shouldn't send it into limp mode, just throw a check engine light until you get that deleted from the computer.
    Good luck!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

HUH? I'm sorry, my 97 C2500 with a 350 Vortec has more balls than ANY TBI rig I've EVER driven. That includes one with a cam and bunch of other mods. The Fuel injection system is mildly retarded but it works. My truck present has a fuel issue and may need the "spider" but its only somewhere around $300, not $500. Consider the cost of buying a new set of injectors or two injectors for a TBI rig and its not THAT crazy.

/Hijack off

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I have to agree here my 98 will blow the doors off any TBI truck. I have owned both and there is no comparison

6. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

I am starting the same conversion for my 1970 K5, I did not have the overdrive tranny to start with, so I am going with the 4L60-E that came with the moter. I was lucky enough to find a whole chassis to steal most of the parts off of. I will tell you what I have found out so far. You will need to find a good place to send your computer to, the VAT (Vehical anti-theft) circut needs to be disabled to even run. Also all the programing for the 4L60-E is in there, so it needs to go if you do not use it.. There are a ton of other sensors like the steeing geer box sensor that have to go as well. You may wish to talk to the person who will be doing the programming to see what you need. Most of the good places will know or have the sensors to adapt over what you need. One final thing to consider is getting your harness done. Some places will even make the harness so that it will plug into your factory interior harness connection. I have yet to send all my stuff off, but when I do, it is going to a place called Fuel Injection Specilties. Their prices were very good and they are very knowledgable and just darn nice people to boot.!!!!

7. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

Thanks for all the heads up guys, i appreciate the information so far. Im not real worried about having SES lights being tripped from missing components, the limp mode is the only thing im trying to avoid. I know the easiest thing to do with Gen III motors when using a non-electronic transmission behind and originally equipped 4L60-E motor was to swap out to a ECU from a 6 speed car. Which its kind of difficult to do that with a 96-99 Vortec.

I kinda figured i was going to have to do a re-flash, i was thinking maybe Westers or PCM's for less. Im going to be leaving the engine bone stock for the time being, which will be a GREAT improvement from my '92 Camaro TPI 305 that was swapped over to carb by the previous owner :rolleyes: . I hate knowing the fact that my '05 4 banger colorado has more horsepower than my K5, it kinda makes me sick a little.

BTW....a 5.7 Vortec will walk dog all over a TBI 5.7....all you have to do is take a look at the factory hp and tq specs to see that. The only thing the TBI motors had on the Vortecs was having peak torque a little bit lower in the rpm band.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes the open plunum design on this Vortec setup lends itself to upper RPMs but it doesn't have the fuel to support an upper RPM motor, so there is the retarded fuel injection feature. Oh well. Personally on the hunt for a Marine intake manifold so I can run different injectors.

9. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

What is the deal on the marine intake and different injectors. This conversion is of interest to me. I talked to some guys about the funky vortec system, but they did not know of any other options.

10. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Bump.

Thinkng about 97 BB Vortec swap. Input?

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Scroll down to "NEW! "Mini-injector" CSFI Replacement". Maybe this will help? http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm

[​IMG]

12. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

I do not thiink it would be any harder then any other Vortec swap. I think the key is finding a good single source to deal with from start to finish if you can. I have done some more research since my first post and found and a place that does a lot of Vortec swaps. According to them, they were the first to do them in 1996 in FJ-40 Landcruisers.I talked them about for about 30 minutes on the phone and learned a lot about the Vortec system and what it really takes to put it in so it runs the way is suppose to. You might want to give them a call. Even if you do not go with them, you will learn alot. http://store.btbprod.com/