Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know about aftermarket pullys?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'm having troubles finding my waterpump pully for the 454/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    It's lost in my garage or the dog ate it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif or I thought it was a 350 pully and gave it away /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

So if I cannot find the pully I am now thinking of aftermarket stuff...or junkyard time.
    How do you figure out what works?
    Is is just the water pump being long or short?
    I belive I have a long style pump?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you mgiht want to check some hot rod supply place's i bet they would have one, mabye year one, might be kinda expinsive /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i saw a 454 a few days at the local yard with all the pulleys I'll check it out and see if it's there. I think the 350 stuff should work. the pumps seem the same /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

ARQ.

ARQ.

4. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

all 454's are lwp.no the 350 one will not work. let me dig around burt i think i have a couple layin around. i bought chrome ones,which i do not reccomend ican't get my belts to stop slipping with the chrome! i am ready to go back to painted! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Burt, I'll look in my parts pile and see if I have one. If I do and it's good you can have it for the shipping charge.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks fellas, you guys are AWSOME!
    I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do...
    One thought is to go this route:
    [​IMG]
    Or something similar, hmmmmmm

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wowow those are wayy cool,
    hey rubbinz mabye try hittin the inside of the pully's with a wire wheel? might scuff it up a little so they dont slip /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Burt, I do have one it's a 2 row with the inner being a smaller diameter than the outer. Let me know if this will work for you. A quick guesstimate on shipping would be between $5-$8.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool Man! I will let you know if I need it...still thinkin/researching my options /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    all 454's are lwp.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really now?

BBC Short Water pump-->
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D8860&N=110&view=4095&applid=%7BC84C0DF0%2D9094%2D48ED%2DA051%2D19EF4C71EFA8%7D

BBC Long water pump-->
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D8864&N=110&view=4095&applid=%7BC84C0DF0%2D9094%2D48ED%2DA051%2D19EF4C71EFA8%7D

Short Water pump pulley-->
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D329815&N=110&view=4095

Long water pump pulley->
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D329723&N=110&view=4095

I believe with the stock pulleys and brackets, if your alternator is on the passanger side then you have a short water pump, if the alternator is on the drivers side of the engine you have a long water pump application. ..at least that was my understanding of it while i was researching BBC pulleys when i needed to order some for my BBC.

...Those cog belt pulleys are sweeeet. Love em on my BBC. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]
    Dammit burt, now you got me thinking about yanking my Rat outta my camaro and dropping it in my K5 for our grudge match. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks RB...no no leave the BBC in your car. If you want to you can just ride with me after I SMOKE YOUR DOORS OFF /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    hahahah JK
    Your SBC TPI will be fun to race up CompHill /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I'm thinkng 1"cogbelt setup would be killer! But my budjet is allready WAY OVER /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I hope you find one local, if not let me know. I got a few.

the best way to contact me is by phone.

480-710-6967

-shawn

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok Thanks! I still don't know which way I'm going...give me a few days to dwell over it.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

sorry ryan i guess what i meant to say was factory 454's are lwp. except maybe some of the early 70's corvettes. i think gm went to the long style in 69? but i know you can still get the short style! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That would make sense..
    On that water pump application chart it said SWP 65-69, LWP 69-75.. but then when was the first year for the 454?
    What i was getting at is reguardless of the year block he has, he could have picked up the long or short water pump, so it would suck if he bought LWP pulleys only to find out he has a SWP. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    When i bought my camaro it had a 73 block but a SWP setup. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    That would make sense..
    On that water pump application chart it said SWP 65-69, LWP 69-75.. but then when was the first year for the 454?
    What i was getting at is reguardless of the year block he has, he could have picked up the long or short water pump, so it would suck if he bought LWP pulleys only to find out he has a SWP. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    When i bought my camaro it had a 73 block but a SWP setup. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, I have a LS5 block I picked up witha long water pump on it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

seems I have some reading/ learing to do here /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i thought i saw a few BB, they're all gone. sorry,

ARQ.

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Dan found my original one /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I must have gave it to him with some of the SBC stuff I gave him a while back /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Now I just need to find the lower altanator bracket /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif