Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know about C&R Racing's Aluminum Radiators???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Anyone know about C&R Racing\'s Aluminum Radiators???

Just curious if anyone has personal experience with them. It's another one of the things I saw at the Good Guys show....

It was in a mega-dollar Camaro setup (in progress buildup) and the shop owner was telling me how great they are, how well they cool, how good they are for BIG engines etc.

I found the website, but haven't gotten pricing yet....

Since I'm building a custom radiator support anyway I figure I can accomodate almost anything I want....so now's the time to research all my options.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Anyone know about C&R Racing\'s Aluminum Radiators???

Modine #918?? I can't remember what the number is for sure (3 digits starting in 9 at least), but it's for a late 80's Camaro, V8.

I don't know as they would be the best for a big block, towing, or tons of slow crawling, but they are pretty cheap, and cool well. Decent alternative to a more expensive aftermarket unit if you don't ask too much of them.

3. Greg72

Dorian,

I'm at a point where I want to big the HUGEST, most EFFICIENT and AWESOME radiator into this new truck layout that I'm doing.

I'm tired of having to worry about being "undersized" on the radiator, and watching the temp needles creep into the red when I'm on a slow climb, or when it's hot outside. I want TONS of reserve cooling (I was thinking about Diesel Radiators too...supposedly the biggest OEM style?)

From what I've read and heard, there's really no such thing as TOO much cooling. The thermostat regulates the coolant flow and temperature for you....the radiator sizing just determines how many BTUs you can get rid of, and how quickly.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well if you are looking for the largest, most efficient radiator you can find, and aren't limited to "bolt in" applications, one of the be-cools or the like probably fits the bill.

If you are worried about under-cooling a vehicle, there is no reason to go with something smaller that *might* work, but might not.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm looking at a BeCool with the dual fans for my tow rig. I finnaly got the overheat under control with a new Modine and fan clutch #3. It's doing ok in Atlanta now but I want to head to AZ in June and while it's doing ok with high 80's I'm worried about 100+ still .

Becool has one that will mount stock and they have brackets to use the stock shroud if you don't want to go electric.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Dorian,

I'm at a point where I want to big the HUGEST, most EFFICIENT and AWESOME radiator into this new truck layout that I'm doing.

I'm tired of having to worry about being "undersized" on the radiator, and watching the temp needles creep into the red when I'm on a slow climb, or when it's hot outside. I want TONS of reserve cooling (I was thinking about Diesel Radiators too...supposedly the biggest OEM style?)

From what I've read and heard, there's really no such thing as TOO much cooling. The thermostat regulates the coolant flow and temperature for you....the radiator sizing just determines how many BTUs you can get rid of, and how quickly.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They are like 6 inches wider then the stock radiators. Not sure you could make it work in the 1st gen. The core suport in my 88 will handle it but not my 79 or 75. I thought about getting one of those till I saw the price. I would also have to track down a new top plate.

This modine I put in was thicker with wider tubes. The stock had more tubesfrom top to bottom but the WWWWW stuff was so packed in that I think it was restricting air flow. The modine is much more open and I know it moves more air through it. Normaly the higher count of the WWWW stuff is a good thing but I think there was way to much.

Somebody said the Stock GM 4 core had issues and I now see where.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would also plan on putting a piece of expanded steel infront of your New "Hugest, most EFFICIENT and AWSOME raiator" to protect that investment from the guy in front of you spitting rocks into the air and putting a slice/gouge into your aluumminumm rad /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    .02c
    Oh ya this a link to the company I used to get my power steering ccoler from.
    http://www.perma-cool.com/

8. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    I would also plan on putting a piece of expanded steel infront of your New "Hugest, most EFFICIENT and AWSOME raiator" to protect that investment from the guy in front of you spitting rocks into the air and putting a slice/gouge into your aluumminumm rad /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    .02c
    Oh ya this a link to the company I used to get my power steering ccoler from.
    http://www.perma-cool.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

True Dat!!!

I have a feeling that "Hugest, and Awesomest" also carries some large $$$$ with it...... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a feeling that "Hugest, and Awesomest" also carries some large $$$$ with it......

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh but that has never stopped you befor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have a feeling that "Hugest, and Awesomest" also carries some large $$$$ with it......

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh but that has never stopped you befor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.....it just slows me down! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm hoping to win that "Pepsi Billion Dollar Giveaway" though. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif