Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know about Insulating Concrete Forms (ICFs)???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by grimjaw, Oct 3, 2005.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The wife and I are looking to build a new house in less than a year. We have been planning to use Insulating Concrete Forms. These are the expanded polystyrene forms that stay in place after the concrete is hardened. We are planning on using these on the basement, first and second floor.

[​IMG]

Currently we are looking at POLYSTEEL Brand. I would love some input from anyone with experence with this. Thanks.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

friend did the complet house with them curves and all. just needed wood for roof and inside stuff. also did the heated floors. dont forget about the pre built foam roof panels also. real good neet stuff. just need to do a slow pour or the forms might pop .

3. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

We are using almost the same stuff for our high school house. logix or something like that? It works really good... My suggestion is to foam it good and use zip ties to hold 2 blocks together and down. reinforce the corners really really good. Had a small blowout near the bottom but wasnt bad at all.

4. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

5. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I drive a mixer truck here in Central Colorado and have provided concrete for at least 4 different types of styrofoam blocks, in my opinion ARXX blocks were easiest blocks to fill using a pump truck and pouring a 5 or 6 inch slump for the concrete. I think a 5" slump will flow well and fill the forms very well. Most of the Contractors use a vibrator to get a uniform fill but be careful you don't vibrate all of the aggregate to the bottom. Alot of guys don't realize or forget the hydralics involved with high slump concrete and can create blowouts in the blocks. If you would pump a 4" slump and could get an even distribution that would be the best slump to use. It is best to pour in lifts, meaning pour say one third of your walls around the entire building if possible then go back to where you started to begin the next lift this will allow the concrete to begin setting after each lift. Dealers in the tornado prone states will tell you the a styrofoam block home can with stand the winds of a tornado, I don't know personally. Nearly everyone here will use in floor heat to heat the home. I understand it is a relatively expensive way to heat, especially when you first startup in the fall. I hope this will help you and I haven't bored you to death.
    Fred2mihi