Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know about Iveco diesel engines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Jan 21, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I have a guy who wants to trade some parts for a 5.9L turbo-diesel 6-cyl out of a 1988 Iveco Eurotruck. Do any of you have any experience with them? It is the 8060.24 engine, non-intercooled with a 4-speed Allison auto. I can't seem to find a whole lot of info about it on the net. Just that Iveco is an Aussie company and they supposedly build some kick-a$$ diesels. Anyone know anything? Thanks.
    Chris

2. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Iveco is made in Italy. I do not really know much about them but the engines have a good rep.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey guys,
    I have a guy who wants to trade some parts for a 5.9L turbo-diesel 6-cyl out of a 1988 Iveco Eurotruck. Do any of you have any experience with them? It is the 8060.24 engine, non-intercooled with a 4-speed Allison auto. I can't seem to find a whole lot of info about it on the net. Just that Iveco is an Aussie company and they supposedly build some kick-a$$ diesels. Anyone know anything? Thanks.
    Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know much about the engines....thats' about the only thing that didn't fail on me at one time or another. The rest of the truck is a POS!twice had brakes fail on the hwy and just about had to put the POS's in the ditch. Had the shifter fall through the floor one time while Iwas going do the road at 60 and it was a manual. managed to get it to the off ramp. Then caught the clutch on fire.

One time I was driving down the road to make a delivery. Peoople going the other way are honking and flashing lights. Guy I was working with was watching for the place. Says there it is....I hit the brakes and I have none. I down shift it get it slowed down make a turn into a Dairy queen to turn around and carefully go back accrss the street to the place where I needed to make the delivery so I could do that while I waited for a wrecker.

I look at the resturan and everydoy is agains the window looking out at the truck. My bud and I are like WTF?!?!. so I go around the other side of the building and the whole store runs to the other side and looks at us. He an I looked at each other. and shrugged shoulders.

Got lucky and no trafic so pulled right out. Make it accross the street. in granny gear and using the hand brake to stop. Get it in a parking space. Shut her down. Fling the door open and get the har on my arm singed off. Damn thing had been on fire for the last 2 miles! that's why all the honking. Freaking wheel cylinder let go leaked all the fluid into the brakes and caught fire.

Me and my bud bail out the passenger side. Its just the wheel burning so I run into the buisness and ask the receptionist for and extinguister.She point to the back wall I run and grab it and she asks whats wrong. I calmly saind my truck is on fire in your lot. LOL

Walki out and couple quick shots from the extinguisher. My buddy is sitting on the curb watching smoking a cig LOL.

Get this ....I call my boss tell him what happens. He askes where the truck is and what sort of shape. Tell him it's fine I put the fire out....he got pissed that I didn't let it burn. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

They are made by Fiat.

4. steelsoldiers

Ooops, you're right Italian, not Aussie, where did I get that? They are a Fiat company too I just found out. Anyone else have any experience with them? Thanks XtrmChevy

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Grim,
    What a piece of crap! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. steelsoldiers

Dang Grim, I'm glad you made it out OK before the rest of it caught fire! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's a real good trade on my end so hopefully the engine will be a winner. When you weren't losing your brakes or putting out fires, did it seem like it made good power? Also, how loud was it? Cummins loud? I'm thinking about using it as a very different powerplant in my tow rig. I don't know anyone else who has a Iveco under the hood, maybe for good reason /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

My employer had a test run of these engines in their delivery trucks a few years back. They made good power but were prone to head warpage and overheating so they went back to the chevy 4.3, and I've been driving slow ever since /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

They seems of when they were drivable. Power seemed ok. Personnaly if I smoke my 454 in my tow ri I'll be looking a CTD or Durmax.

9. steelsoldiers

Yep, I've been looking at a 5.9L Cummins swap, but that can easily get $$$. I would want a 16v out of a 96-98 and a NV4500. That sends the price over $3000 real quick, but you can't beat 'em for power and reliability. I'll keep searching for info in these Iveco diesels. So for they seem to have a pretty good rep for service and are pretty comparable to the Cummins as far as stock power. The one I am looking at isn't intercooled. I'll be installing a pyro and a boost guage before I do any tweaking. A pump adjustment, intercooler, and 4" straight pipe would do nicely /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My tow rig is going to sound like a log truck

10. steelsoldiers

One more question for you Grim, what kind of cold start system did your truck have? Ether? Glow plugs? Hot grid? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Just glow plugs as I recall. It's pushing 18-20 years since I worked at that place but I don't recal anything but that. LOL

12. steelsoldiers

Dang, it has been a few years /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks for the info Grim.
    Chris