Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know about Optima batteries?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Apr 18, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

This guy I know keeps preaching these optima batteries to me. His is primarily a long haul ranch truck towing stock trailers, but he swears by them.

Anyone ever used one, or know anyting about them. I'm just curious 'cause they look pretty pricey.

Their website says "vibration resistant, mounts in almost any position":

http://www.optimabatteries.com/

Just curious.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

some people say that 25% of them are junk. never used one and probably never will, too expensive.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I've had a red top in mine for a year and a half now. I have never had a problem with it. I'll see how well it holds up to storage this year. My K5 went into storage last week in Las Vegas, and it will sit there until I get back in February next year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run an Optima Red Top in my K5. Best battery I have ever owned. It won't cause the corrosion that a normal battery does. I really like mine. Have had it for 2 years now. It has seen 2 AZ summers and one CO winter. No problems.

I liked the one some much that I had in my truck when the batteries in my parents Ford F350 and Jeep went out I made them install Optima Red Tops also. They are worth the extra money in my opinion.

My moms F350 had a Duralast Gold (top of the line battery from Autozone) in it and it died in less then 3 years in the AZ heat. My Optima is still running strong after 2 hot summers and 1 cold winter.

Optimas are good stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harley

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a yellow top in my blazer and i will never have any other battery in my blazer other than a optima they NEVER corrode and it has also NEVER let me down /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

So I've been looking at their website (some decent 4-wheel testimonials) and the yellow top seems to be more of a deep cycle battery. Why do you use that one?

$140 - $160, that better be a great battery, but if it works as well as they say it does, might be worth it.

7. Hossbaby50

Red Top is more like your convential starting battery
    Yellow Top is a hybrid between starting battery & deep cycle (best of both worlds kinda thing)
    Blue Top is a true deep cycle.

Yellow tops should have less Cold Cranking Amps (CCA's) for starting but you should be able to pull power out of them for longer periods of time and recharge them more easily. They are good for things like winching, numerous offroad lights, things that pull alot of power out of the battery and may not be recharged right away by the alternator.

Harley

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

So I am planning on running a couple of 100W lights and a winch, and all sorts of little stuff, stereo, GPS, CB, etc. Does that justify going to the yellowtop?

9. Hossbaby50

It depends. If your alternator can handle the charging load of the lights and stuff you should be ok with a Red Top. If you plan on using the winch a fair amount a Yellow Top would be better.

Winching is the biggest reason for a yellow top. Winches draw alot of current and alternators can't keep up with them so it draws the battery down. If you are going to winch for long periods of time Yellows are the better choice.

Just for an example. My Warn M12000 winch draws 440 amps at full load. The biggest baddest alternator I know of puts out 200 amps at the max. So you are drawing 240 amps off the batteries reserves. If you do this alot to a Redtop you will probably shorten its lifespan since you are pulling out alot of power and then having to recharge it.

The M12000 draws 67 amps at 0lbs of pull. That is already maxing out a stock alternator with no load. It pull 140 amps at 2000lbs which as much as most high output alternators. It pulls 220 amps at 4000lbs which is more then the baddest alt. puts out. Anything more then 4000lbs is beyond any alternator I know of and it is all on your batter after that. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Harley

Harley

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    So I've been looking at their website (some decent 4-wheel testimonials) and the yellow top seems to be more of a deep cycle battery. Why do you use that one?

$140 - $160, that better be a great battery, but if it works as well as they say it does, might be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i use the yellow top because of my warn 15,000 winch my 4 off-road lights and my stereo and amp's. i only have a stock alternator and the yellow top has never let me down and always has the power i need when i need it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Get the optima and don't look back. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've had the red top for five years now and it's been discharged twice(both my own fault)....

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Some people say there junk...
    I think my red top is the best battery ive ever owned. Espically after throwing a alternator belt out in the woods one night and driving a LONG ways home on the battery then putting that battery in my dads car and it starting right up(Had to go to work so I drove his car the next morning and his had a dead battery at the time)

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I had geat luck with the ones I've owned.... Most of them lasted about 5 years.... that's with stereo and lots of lights.... didn't have the cash for one this time, but will probably go back to one soon.....

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Optimas are total junk gel cell construction, can be mounted any way but upside down, and 5 years un prorated replacement....
    I have owned about 5 of these batteries over the years, still have 2 in the K5 and one in the 510. Just buy it and transfer it from truck to truck when you sell or get rid of 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you have a Costco in your area you can pick one up dirt cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

From the bad luck I've seen the majority of my customers have with them, I would never buy one. Seems almost a 50/50 split between those who swear by them, and those that swear AT them.

I have two normal plate type 1000 ca batteries in my truck and couldn't be happier.

17. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

I will agree with the majority and say that some of them are crap. I am running a red top in my Suburban and had my belt blow out on a trip from NC to SC. It was an hour and 15 minutes to get to the nearest Auto Parts store and I drove all the way with no alternator charging and the battery got me there. Just one positive thing I wanted to share. Hope that helps. John

18. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I just got a look at a new artillary piece that is being tested for the Marines. It has two yellow tops mounted on their sides underneath the barrel. That should tell you a little something about their tolerance for vibration. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

I have been running the Red top in my Blazer for 7 years now...and have had no problems. I don't have a winch but it is a daily driver.