Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know anything about '92 Explorers?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by newyorkin, Jan 18, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anyone know anything about \'92 Explorers?

I'm looking at a 130+k miles '92 Exploder for my wife. The body is super clean, but I haven't heard it run or anything.

We had a Taurus a few years ago and it turned me off to Fords, but the Explorer looks pretty nice and comfortable for hauling 2 kids.

Anyone know anything about these little grocery haulers? Like any common failures? I know the Taurus's had tranny problems at 80k, but I've never heard anything about explorer's.

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 01/18/02 08:15 PM.</FONT></P>

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone know anything about \'92 Explorers?

Ratch-

I know a couple people who have them, with no problems- BUT I would never buy one after that firestone thing- firestone said it was fords fault ford said it was firestones- the thing is pretty close to the worst in crash tests- Here's a thought- buy her a tahoe or suburban. (then you can buy my rims too!!!)..... LOL

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

LOL, beleive me Brandy, if they made 'burbs or Tahoe's I could afford, we'd have had one long ago. I'm a GM guy at heart, but all the stuff I'd get for my wife is too friggin expensive!!

A '92 burb/tahoe/"blazer" around is still going for minimum $6000. I'm looking at this 'splorer for around $2000...

But sadly, it's looking like my next $600 is going into a motor for the K5, so the rims would have to wait no matter what...

I'm not worried much about the tire thing, I think this truck is wearing noname's right now, and she never goes faster than 45 for about 15 seconds at a time, lol...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 01/19/02 08:12 AM.</FONT></P>

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

In laws have one that is pushing 200,000. Only problems I know of is one of the electric windows developed a nasty squeak, had to replace the plastic fan as it cracked around the center area, a cooling leak easily fixed, also the worst was one of the rear door handles broke on the outside. A little expensive to fix. thing 4 wheels pretty good and they have had it since 94. All in all theres is an excellent vehicle, as far as fords go anyway. Oh one other thing is they replaced a bushing in the rear where a sway bar or something hooks into.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The whole Firestone-Ford thing was Firestone designed the tire to be run at a spec. air pressure. Ford decided that the air pressure was too high and made for a rough ride. So they lowered the recommended air pressure in the owners manuals and the door stickers, to make it ride softer. The lower air pressure caused the tires to run hotter than they should and KABANG! This is why you should follow the recommendations of the tire manufacturer, that is molded into the side wall and not a sticker.

BUT On the flip side the tires really shouldnt have come apart.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>