Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know anything about Eagle Talons?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by sled_dog, Apr 10, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My sister's boyfriend has one. He blew the head gasket by overboosting it(vaccum hose popped off or something). Anyway I told her I'd give him $1200 for it as it sits. I need something that gets better than 8mpg. Figure I could slap a head gasket in it in a weekend and drive it back instead of my burb. So is there something more I should know about these cars? Its FWD turbo car. No idea if he will accept my offer yet. I know its upgraded in some way. Has a boost controller, exhaust and some other stuff.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i know that they have a timing belt that tends to break and ruin the engine. BUt they are fast cars. With a turbo you might need to run 93 octane if the boost was turned up to high there might be other problems with the engine

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup definatly check the timing belt. If they are worn. They do like to let loose (usually under hard accereration) and destroy the engine.
    Other than that they are good cars. Pretty damn fast. Espically with a few mods and BPUs
    As for gas milage they are fair for a 4 banger. Dont expect 30 MPG or something like that. Kinda hard to keep your foot out of them when they are running good.
    If you can get it for 1200 and it is a clean car, you are getting a good deal if all it needs is a head gasket.
    Turbo Talons and Eclipse's fetch a pretty good price if they are clean and run good.

Check with your insurance agent before you buy it. They can be pretty spendy to insure if you are under 25.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'll have to check. It ran like crap when he first got it, forget what the issue was. If I could get 20MPG average I'd be real happy.

5. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Go ahead and change the timing belt while you are there. It takes only an hour or so more but save alot of headache later. If it has a boost controller be certain to turn it down under 8 psi of boost. This will help with gas mileage as well. I have a friend here that did one once and said it was alot worse than any small block he has done, but doable. Get a Haynes and a Chiltons manual before beginning. It is a very good idea to take digital pics often as you go. Also be certain to mark you wires/hoses. This adds time in the begining but saves time in the end when you are trying to figure out which wire goes where. Good luck

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks, I need to make sure all it needs at this point is a head gasket. I'd like to see it get by with 89, could crank back the boost a little I guess. There is a track down the road from us about 10 minutes so I'm sure there will be a couple weeks where I run the piss out of it to get crappy mileage(run out the gas so I can crank up the boost with bigger gas).

7. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

What year is it?? with the 95 and up models you have to watch for crankwalk with the 7 bolt motor. also the balance shafts are something to watch out for to go wrong. i know guys that have the AWD models and are running mid 13s at the track with only free mods. def. nice cars, but if you get to modding too much the reliability factor goes out the window. just dont go adding a 16g or a 20g in the future and you should be fine.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its an early 90s. 1st Generation. Don't know the exact year yet. A friend of mine had a 12 second AWD 2nd Gen. I need to move on this crap, the Burb is rotting away and sucking gas doing it. Biggest issue will be stopping myself from throwing a 16g on it :D Will be real tempting to crank that boost controller up. I shouldn't put it to 15PSI, but I REALLY want to beat this kid....

9. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

Good, then you have the 6 bolt motor which is more reliable and can make more power.

"Boost until something breaks" is a popular phrase from one of my buddies.
    you have a 14b turbo, you can boost to 15 PSI. you'll just hit fuel cut. a MAF hack and a fuel pump rewire will be better for boosting that high though. ****, i can boost 15 on my sr20 in my nissan with only a FMIC and a fuel pump, but thats pushing it.