Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone know anything about home security systems?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uglychevyZZ4, May 2, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

well, last night I met the person across the street from our new house that everyone else on the block has told us about ((coldesac gossip /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)) and i see what they meant, looks like a filthy stealing little rat-weasel /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif They all said if its left alone, its stolen..Well he came over to introduce himself as a "CONTRACTOR" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif to see if we needed any "help".... in his "work" uniform ....which consisted of a parka, no shirt, pajama bottoms, no socks, shoes from a dumpster, and a bicycle that was obviously "borrowed", very high dollar schwinn /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but Im still not sure where he hangs the ladders on his "work vehicle" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    So anyways while hes blabbering about whatever crack heads ramble on about, I notice he is eyeballing all my tools /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and trying to keep looking around me when I stand in front of him in the garage so im getting a security system /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif either that or I'll just have to sawzall his fingers off /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

so what kind do I get? I been reading websites all nite and its all chinese /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

12gage brand is up to you /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    12gage brand is up to you /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    No buckshot tho, I JUST painted /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Get a smaller local to you company to do it for you. I personally think a big company like ADT or something like that sucks.

You can't use these guys since you aren't local to me...

http://www.libertybellalarm.com/

But they are who my mom and I went with if you want to check out what they offer and do some comparing. Excellent installation, service, monitoring and help if something appears to not be working right.

Also spend the extra few bucks and get the good fire monitoring system installed. Having a robber sucks, they take things, but they leave the home intact. A fire take your things and your home. If it goes off it calls the fire department to come. Could mean the difference between your house going up in smoke or not. I got the system more for this then the other reason...

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Keep a mean Pitbull with aids in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Beat the living [darn] out of him

7. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

8. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    Beat the living [darn] out of him

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif well...technically he hasnt done anything wrong YET, except letting me catch him eyeball my tools but dont worry he'll get brave.....they all do eventually /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Until you get something installed, get some of those security system warning stickers to put up. I think radio Shack has them. It might keep him away for now. Don't forget motion detector lights, deadbolts and maybe a fake alarm type motion detector.
    He will eye ball it if he comes over again.
    If you find the alarm systems are too much, you can always install a do-it-youself one for the garage.
    I prefer the full blown pro installed and monitored system like I have.
    It just cost a fee every month though.

10. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    It just cost a fee every month though

[/ QUOTE ] ya, i dislike that part...

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Sell him some bad crack or something...... *puff puff* DEAD

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Fry's electronics or Radio Shack sell an inexpensive alarm that you can install yourself for just your garage. They are loud and work great but will bother your neighbors if it goes off and you are no where to be found. Give the cops your Cell number or paste it on the garage door so they can call you if it goes off.

13. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I will caution one thing, most cities, counties, whatever have ordinances in place regarding the number of false alarms. If you exceed the set number of false alarms you will get fined. Just something to check into, and think about when installing an alarm.

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will caution one thing, most cities, counties, whatever have ordinances in place regarding the number of false alarms. If you exceed the set number of false alarms you will get fined. Just something to check into, and think about when installing an alarm.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have monitoring they usually call you first if you set off the alarm to verify. You have a code word and you give them that. Then they ask you a few yes and no questions (make sure nobody is standing there to force you to say it's great when you are being robbed). If you are not home they call the cops since there is no answer (which yeah does suck if they come out a bunch, cuz this is when you get charged). If you ask the company too, they can set up at time of monitoring something cool. Say you are bringing groceries in and someone runs up and forces their way in with you. The alarm is beeping to be turned off. You type in the code different. Say your code 1234. You would type it in 1235. The last digit is one higher then normal. It's to let them know to send the cops you are being jacked. Kinda cool if you ask me.

15. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

True there are some very cool things you can do with them, like you said. Like was mentioned before, you can tie fire alarm into it, and also a float switch on a sump pump, so that if the sump quits, it will alarm and the monitoring company will call you, very good if your basement leaks bad or you have a finished basement. You can also arm the exterior devices (doors, windows, etc.) but leave off the motion detectors and other interior devices while you are home.

16. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    Sell him some bad crack or something...... *puff puff* DEAD

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My last house was pre-wired for an alarm system. I did some research and ended up buying and installing a complete system made by Digital Security Controls out of Canada. Very high quality system for not a lot of money. If you don't have any wiring, look into one of their wireless systems. Each sensor is battery powered and will transmit a signal to the main panel when tripped. The panel also polls each sensor at intervals just to check that the battery is still working. If it doesn't get a response it will set a flag to let you know to check the battery on that sensor. The batteries typically last about a year so you aren't changing them all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif