Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone know anything about old snow blowers or lawntractors?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 9, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sometimes it feels like everything is fighting against me... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

To refresh your memory my little john deere lawn tractor was in need of a battery. So I replaced it but it had differnt style posts than what the cables had, so I cut the end off the cable and put the right ones on. Then my grandpa came out to look at it, and says I need a new air filter and I should change the oil. I get a new air filter, and I will change the oil on the weekend.
    BUT, now it won't fire up. Before my grandpa and I started tinkering with it, it worked fine. Now it keeps killing the battery (is if there is a short somewhere) and it won't fire up like there is no fuel coming to it. I am going to replace the sediment bowl gasket, and when I do that I am going to check the fuel line from the tank to the motor to see if something is clogging it. I can start it up (if the battery works) but it won't actually fire up. Nothing comes out of the muffler either. With the ammount of times I tried it, there should be a big cloud of smoke when it fires up. But it wont fire up!! I will also be replacing the spark plug, maybe it's old and is crudded over. Anyone know what else I could check? It has lots of gas... I need to get it running ASAP because thats the only "reliable" thing we had to plow the driveway.

We also have a old craftsman snowplow I tried firing up today (as a backup for the tractor) but I can't fire that up. I can't really say I've used it before (we only used it for a couple of years when I was young, then we bought the lawn tractor) so I don't exactly know how to use it, but I know how to sstart up. And it won't start up. Any suggestions on that.

My driveway is really long, and all we have is a FWD toyota car right now to get in and out. So if I can't get anything running, I will have to SHOVEL a path so we can get out.

HELP!!

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

1: How new is the gas? Supposedly gas goes bad, I've never had it happen, but I've heard of fresh gas helping. Just syphon some outta yer mum's ca. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    2: Drain the float bowl, again this gets fresh gas in there and you may find if it's stuck in some mannor.
    3: Check wires closely, if it keeps draining the battery you know the problem. Find where the ground problem is.
    4: Take off the spark plug wire, and see if it will make an arch from the plug to the frame.
    5: Any fuel smell???? I've seen my mother try for 10 minutes to start the lawn mower with the gas shut off. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1: How new is the gas? Supposedly gas goes bad, I've never had it happen, but I've heard of fresh gas helping. Just syphon some outta yer mum's ca. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    2: Drain the float bowl, again this gets fresh gas in there and you may find if it's stuck in some mannor.
    3: Check wires closely, if it keeps draining the battery you know the problem. Find where the ground problem is.
    4: Take off the spark plug wire, and see if it will make an arch from the plug to the frame.
    5: Any fuel smell???? I've seen my mother try for 10 minutes to start the lawn mower with the gas shut off. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1.The gas isn't that old, it had just a bit in before I started it, so I put in more new stuff.

2. Already did it, had a bunch of gunk it in, washed it out.

3. Looked at the wires, but can't find any bad spots.

4. I will try that spark plug thing tomorrow.

5. Yes, the gas is turned on /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

If you take the plug out, will it blow your finger off the head if you pull it through? I know you said it "was" running, but jest for sh|ts and giggles....
    I also bet it will never run with a dead battery, so I would start it charging so you can tackle the problem tomorra...
    You didn't say if you were getting a fuel smell, so I'll assume you aren't. I bet you bent the bowl's arm so it is jammed shut. Remember, air, spark, fuel. Fire /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay thanks, I will charge the battery and try it again.
    Thanks

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Buy me a plane ticket and convince the Canadian government to let me carry and I'll shovel all the damn snow you want

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Time for the lawnmower mechanic to flex his skills...YAY!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

How long was the OLD gas left in there. Any more than 6 months then it has gummed up everything in that carb. More likely though, it has water in it. Check the fuel filter as well. It'll be either an in-line filter or in the gas tank itself.

I'm guessing it has an Onan engine on it. Toss that and put a Kohler or Briggs on it....hehe. I'm just kidding.

The problem with that Craftsman is related to old gas as well. I'm pretty sure it has a Briggs engine on it. It probably has the style engine where the carb is mounted directly on the gas tank. If it has old gas in it, the carb is in need of a rebuild kit. That style carb relies on a diaphragm style pump that doesn't like to have gas left in it over a period of time. A rebuild kit should cost about $12 american.

PM me if you have any more questions.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How long was the OLD gas left in there. Any more than 6 months then it has gummed up everything in that carb. More likely though, it has water in it. Check the fuel filter as well. It'll be either an in-line filter or in the gas tank itself.

I'm guessing it has an Onan engine on it. Toss that and put a Kohler or Briggs on it....hehe. I'm just kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am almost positive I saw Kohler on the side of the engine. The OLD gas was put in there a while ago, maybe but I used it a few times during the summer. How can I make it non-gummy? Ah, I hope there isn't water in there.
    Thanks for the help!

AH! The snowblower sounds like a hassle to fix. everything seems to be a hassle. I will look into the rebuild kit later...

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

Ah it doesn't matter what kind of engine is as long as it runs right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

To make it not gummy will require a total disassembly of the carb. It gets in the jets and needle valve seat and everywhere else gas just sits. I recommend going to a Honda motorcycle dealership and getting some of the Pro Honda Carb Cleaner. It WILL eat paint off! Or if you want to save a dollar, get the PJ1 carb cleaner.

Rebuilding the carb on the Craftsman is, at the most, a 20 minute ordeal. It's not hard at all.

But check to see that you have fuel going to the carb. If yes, then check the combustion chamber. Just pull the spark plug and smell of it. If you have fuel, check for spark. If you don't have any spark, check ALL of the safety switches first. It could be like a Snapper in that it will let the engine spin until your heart is content, but it will never fire. If that doesn't reveal anything, then you can check the coil.

Now for the bad news, which I highly doubt is the cause, but quite possibly could be. If you have fuel and you have spark, it could be the valves are out of adjustment if you have an OHV style engine. This is not a big ordeal, just tedious. But check the fuel and spark first. If that reveals your problem, your good and it's an easy fix. If not, PM me and I'll help you.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So for the lawntractor engine, I have to completly dis assemle it to clean it out? Yikes...

I will try again this weekend after I get the new spark plug and check the fuel lines for clogging. If that doesn't work, I'll poost here again, and/or PM you.
    Thanks for the help!

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

well I replaced the spark plug and sediment bowl gasket, and it still wouldn't fire up. Then I noticed that with the gas valve open on the tank, there was no gas in the sediment bowl, so I unbolted the tank, and the hose to see if it was plugged. I am just about to put it back in, to see if it will work now...

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To make it not gummy will require a total disassembly of the carb. It gets in the jets and needle valve seat and everywhere else gas just sits. I recommend going to a Honda motorcycle dealership and getting some of the Pro Honda Carb Cleaner. It WILL eat paint off! Or if you want to save a dollar, get the PJ1 carb cleaner.

[/ QUOTE ]

How hard is it to disasemble the carb to clean it out? Do I just use that carb cleaner you suggested to get the gum off all the stuff? I am either going to try to tackle it myself, or get someone to do it. The only thing that is keeping me from doing it is time, and lack of knowmledge. I need to fix it ASAP, and if I do it, it will probably take a while. I'm just worried about the lawn tractor right now, if I can get that fixed, then I will have the snowblower as the winter project to fix. ahhh this really isn't a great time for this to happen /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    For future times, when I won't be using the lawntractor to much, what can I put in the gas tank so all the OLD gas I don't use wont get everything gummy? Thanks

13. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm hip to that! My snowblower is in the garage with a blown bearing, it's cold out and due to snow. So....what am I doing? Dicking around with the computer /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif It cold out there in the garage!

14. BigOrange90Jimmy

It's not hard at all. I'm not sure which carb you have (there's only 1,775,334,643 styles out there), but it's all one basic principle: take everything out that will unscrew except the butterflys.

Soak it in the cleaner. Scrape off all junk. Clean the jets with a small needle or a torch tip file kit. Reassemble.

WATCH IT RUN!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ah. Is there a picture or something so I know where everything goes?

16. BigOrange90Jimmy

You said that you thought that it had a Kohler engine on it, right? Try this site out:

Kohler Service Manuals

You'll need the model number off your engine, then just look up the cooresponding link.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay great, I will get the model number later. When you said a small needle to clean the jets, is it just a ordinary house needle, or is it a special one? Thanks for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

18. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well it depends on the jet itself. I've seen some you couldn't stick a 5 lb test fishing line through, then I've seen some that a toothpick could fall through. It all depends on what ya got.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay. I guess I will find out.
    I'm not sure if I am going to tackle this. My mom is talking to one of my dads friends, see if he can fix it, or may take it to the dealership... im young and I don't think my mom thinks I can do this, and I may not have enough time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif We'll see.....

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well my dads friend came out and we tore apart a bit of the snowblower yesterday. We took the carb apart and whatnot. We went to hook it back up, but some of the linkage doesn't make sense on how to go back together. He's coming back tomorrow with a friend to help. Hopefully it will fire up. The gas really smelt stale. Then we need to get the lawn tractor going. BUT if we can get the snow blower running, I will use that, then I will pick up some carb cleaner and tear apart the lawn tractor to fix... maybe.
    I'll report back tomorrow on how it goes!