Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone know anything about ticks and advantage???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Sep 21, 2004.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

We dosed our cats about a month ago and he has a tick on his eyebrow but it looks blue instead of brown or fully swollen with blood and black, could this thing have died after it attached itself....How do you get the lil bastards off??? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do you have any Marines close to you?? Just a joke around here, everytime a kid gets a tick it always comes to my house because after so many years you get a touch for pulling them out entirlly. The best thing i can tell you get some tweezers and try to work them into the skin around the tick, you should be able to tell when you are around the head, mayby a 1/8th to 1/4" under the surface. once there grip lightly and pull and twist at the same time, if you piss it off and it tries to rebite it will come out whole.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    get some tweezers and try to work them into the skin around the tick, you should be able to tell when you are around the head, mayby a 1/8th to 1/4" under the surface

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that cat is declawed or you can run a set of tweezers with your welding gloves on /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

In my line of work during the summer ticks are just about a daily occurance. As mentioned before just take some tweezers and get as close to the skin as possible and pull it out. After it's out keep an eye out for swelling or (on a cat it will be hard)skin color change. It should be fine.

When I was a kid in Yuma we had Great Danes that used the get dime sized ticks. Once you pulled them of it was fun to burn them with a match and watch them pop. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Yeah, I know, but being a kid in Yuma you have to come up with creative stuff to do.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They told me at the vets office that advantage doesn't work on ticks at all only frontline... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif [ QUOTE ]
    I hope that cat is declawed or you can run a set of tweezers with your welding gloves on

[/ QUOTE ] Oh yeah this should be fun both my cats are practically wild....welding gloves huh... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifWish me luck.... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

i use frontline on my dog...pretty sure it's similar to advantage in this respect, but those flea/tick medicines only last around 30 days....in the cooler months, they last a little longer....so the advantage could have worn off, hence ur kitties new buddy! those medicines are designed to kill fleas and ticks that are already there prior to the application...so ur medicine has worn off.