Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING BOUT TAILGATE WIRING..!!??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 8, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i still need some help here on my tailgate. this power window thing has got me up the wall so far im about to just put a damn manual in it! lol..i cant figure out were the single pronged orange wire with the little black stripe on it goes to..there are two plugs that come out of the tailgate...ones for the power window and all..the big round plug.but that other one..thats orange....has one prong with a little black rubber thing on it..its a plug..were does that go..any one know? or have an EASY TO UNDERSTAND wairing diagram? lol..cuase i have all my wires but that hoooked up when i try to test it..its laying in the back of the blazer...thought i would test it out in the new tailgate befor i put it on and all...nothing happens...so im guessing its this wire..considering it worked fine when i took it out of the old tailgate!

Bryan-thanx!

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont know about what color wire is what but........On my K5. There is a switch connected to the latching mechanism that wont let the window work if the tail gate is not closed and latched.
    I believe the switch is located inside the tailgate on the left side by the latch. Maby that wire goes to the switch

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

no thats not it.. thats a small plug that goes over two prongs on the switch.yea i already checked that..this wire comes out right on the bottom..you can probobly see it when you open the tailgate..down on the bottom left..near the light wires on the drivers side....there are TWO cables coming out.im talking about the porange one that should be there...open the tailgate..and look there..should see what im talking about..i have no pics of it sorry...

Bryan-thanx

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Okay last time I am replying to this stuff I have given the answer 8 -10 times now through e-mail PM's etc....here is the wiring diagram
    http://members.aol.com/fisherxt/rearwindow.gif

If you can't read it show it to someone who can...regardless of wether or not the wire reaches to a constant power source it needs to be connected to a 12V source! look on the diagram orange always hot!

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

try the link again it wont work...and does it copnnect to hte orange wire thats coming outt of the frame?..there is the plug for the tailgate there..the big one..and then there is a orange one that comes out to..and the orange one that comes from the tailgate..but the one (the orange one) coming form the frame is all corroded...meaning its just green dust...so im not sure if thats it or not...i understand about the orange wire having to be hot all the time..but i still need to know were to conenct the darn thing!! it HAS to plug in somewere..i dont know enough about blazers..i have only had one for about a month!

thanx-Bryan

Bryan-thanx

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

precisely its the orange one that comes out of the frame that it needs to plug into might have to cut the end off the one coming out the tailgate and hook them straight together by means of crimps or soilder

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Yep that is the one you are looking for, I have had problems with my tailgate and that orange wire many times. The orange and black wire that runs thru the frame should be "HOT" at all times and should be connected to that plug coming outta your gate. If plug is no longer on the orange wire coming outta the frame you should just crimp or spice the 2 back together like "BowtieBlazer" said.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

AHH OK GOTCHA!! lol..i thought thats what it was!!..makes perfect sense!..yea i told my dad im going to have to like splice it or something..down far enough to were its not coroded!!

Bryan-thanx!

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

k well i tryed that and its still not wokring..we tested the connection for the blue/grey wire coming out of the frame..and its a good connection....it must be somehting ot do wiht that ornage one though.i spliced it back..and touched it to the corresponding wire..and no go still!! im at my wits end wiht this damn thing..what now!!? any ideas?

Bryan

10. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have a good ground on the motor, also it will not work with the tail gate laying down, it has to be in the up position to run. I had the same issues with mine.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

REALLY...!!.??.man these things are sooo damn picky..its unbeilevable!!..all this for a damn window to go up and down lol...well whatever..ill try that TO lol..thanx for the help... and how do you mean good ground for the moter?...isnt being atachted to the tailgate all it needs!!??

Bryan

12. Buff44

Buff44 Registered Member

hey, any Chevy / GM truck dealer should be able to generate a schematic diagram of all parts and wiring,my biggest problem was contacts/lugs becomeing loose over time and not completing the circuit.there are some protection devicies in the wireing that are not absolutly necessary for the window to work,as long as the pos/neg.loop from the motor to the dash switch and the spring loaded contact switch inside the left upper tailgate latch are completing their circuits things should work.the key switch on the tailgate has always been the biggest pain in the ass to try to keep working!screw that thing/ the dash switch works!try 12 volt test leads then reverse polarity to your window motor they rarely go bad it`s usually connections not making contact that are the culprit! Good Luck,DWA

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have 12V to the orange/black wire then I would bet the switch inside the tailgate is bad, the one that doesn't allow the window to go up with the tailgate down. You can test for that problem by simply unplugging the switch and jumping the wires together. As previously mentioned, the window will not go up or down with the tailgate open.